3 Way Cross Cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

i concur, to many are hooked on color. Up here in Central Missouri its bad black rules but if you move a little south in the state color isn't a issue. heathly good producers is what i want. if you look at my cross thats what i used before i went into reg. gelbviehs and yes i do run blk and red.

Color doesn;t matter, but someplaces it does. You don;t eat the hide but the color of the wrapper does make some animals worth more because of CAB. Sterling Silver pays as good of premiums as CAB for none black hides.
Every area is a little different. Around here you can hardly give a way a Herefordbut over towards KS they will pay for them. The color issue is no different then the amount of ear, bull or steer, etc.

Beyond CAB - hide color (hide thickness, ear length, hair coat, etc) can actually play a fundamental role in breed selection relative to environmental constraints. There are certainly irrational reasons for physical attributes to play a role in breed selection but there are plenty of real attributes as well. There may be REAL reasons blacks in one area sell better at the feedlot than eared cattle in another than yellows in another than white face in another. All CAB influence aside, let's give humanity a tick more mental credit for making decisions.

That said, I would most likely start with a Hereford base as well to maintain a baldy herd then experiment with the bull to run over those. Simmental, Gbvh certainly valuable candidates. I might start with Limi/Gbvh.

angus9259":ndiq2g7i said:
I would most likely start with a Hereford base as well to maintain a baldy herd then experiment with the bull to run over those. Simmental, Gbvh certainly valuable candidates. I might start with Limi/Gbvh.
On the Hereford cows we're using a Glebvieh bull. I feel that it will produce the ideal momma cow. Breed her back to a high grading Angus Red or black and it should ring the bell. We only got one heifer from that breeding this year but she is definitely a keeper. We have a copule of heifers from last year that are sired by a Gelbvieh out of Red Angus cows. They're sticking aorund too.

doing a 3 way cross for the average rancher seems like a lot of money, time, land and feed invested with no financial return before you get what you want. Is their a way to figure how much is invested in the final final product. by searching http://www.cattle range.com and other web sites their is a lot of breeds and crosses represented, would it not be cheaper to go that route or even buy a 2 way cross and breed the third yourself. Correct me if I am wrong but for the first cross to calf a mininum of 34 months would be invested . Then it would be another 6 months before the 3 way cross is sold. 40 months would be invested with a perfect sernerio before any return is received. How would you figure a 3 way cross time wise.

cowboy43":2mz3r5p2 said:
doing a 3 way cross for the average rancher seems like a lot of money, time, land and feed invested with no financial return before you get what you want. Is their a way to figure how much is invested in the final final product. by searching http://www.cattle range.com and other web sites their is a lot of breeds and crosses represented, would it not be cheaper to go that route or even buy a 2 way cross and breed the third yourself. Correct me if I am wrong but for the first cross to calf a mininum of 34 months would be invested . Then it would be another 6 months before the 3 way cross is sold. 40 months would be invested with a perfect sernerio before any return is received. How would you figure a 3 way cross time wise.

Try this. You have a predominately Hereford cowherd. You buy a Balancer bull and put him in the pasture with them. 3 WAY CROSS! cha ching :)

or you have a predominately angus cowherd you run a hereford bull on them for 3 years sell all the baldie steers for an obscene price and keep all the heifers breeding them to a calving ease Gelbvieh(keeping the best heifers) bull then when you have your cowherd fixed you put a terminal Balancer or Gelbvieh bull on them and laugh all the way to the bank. 3WAY CROSS! cha ching ;-)

cowboy43":2o37kqkh said:
If you're looking for quick results, cattle isn;t the way to do it. Better to play the lottery.
Maybe if more people had an actual goal of what they were trying to achive "in the long term" fewer people would be in and out of the business in 7 years or less.

cowboy43":2p25ip4p said:

You could just breed your cows to a composite bull that you like. Leachman has been selling composite cattle for years.

These are the Red Stabilizers:

http://www.cfgphoto.com/photos-cattle-r ... lizer.html

The King Ranch took the Santa Gertrudis (arguably a composite breed itself) and added Red Angus and Gelbvieh to produce a composite they call Santa Cruz

http://www.king-ranch.com/santa_cruz.html