3 Way Cross Cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

wtrapp

Reaction score
Please give your thoughts on the following 3 way crosses. Pros and Cons of each please and why you would prefer one over the other. Thanks

1. SimAngus cows Gelbievh bull
2. Balancer cows Simental bull
3. SimAngus cows Hereford bull
4. Balancer cows Hereford bull

Why this preference? Baldie calf, more milk from mama?, etc

WichitaLineMan":2byjt440 said:
Balance cows with a Hereford bull gets my vote.

I agree. The balancer will do just that. Great mothering with milk and then hit em with the Herf and listen to the cash register ring. Those cows will last a long time.

If it was me I would start by buying almost wore out real high quality Angus cows and throw a Gelbvieh bull out of something like Ozz Govenor on them that would give you all the carcass you need plus a ton of growth. Then go to the herf bull and complete the heterosis.

After a couple of calves they will still have lots of salvage value and you won't have to deal with calving heifers till they dtrs hit the ground. The only concession I would even make to calving ease is to go on those heifers with a real good calving ease Balancer bull and that way you can still keep their dtrs since they will also be 50/50 balancers.

If you decide to do this contact me for any help I can give you finding the right genetics.

WichitaLineMan":3oga1n10 said:

I m doing this all backwards :shock:
I bought aged Hereford cows and put a BA bull on them. I saved the best heifers from the better milking cows and now I am putting a Gelbvieh bull on these black baldies...
I know I will not win a weaning weight contest, but is there still hope for my herd? :help:

Stocker Steve":3ckcd8pn said:
WichitaLineMan":3ckcd8pn said:

I bought aged Hereford cows and put a BA bull on them. I saved the best heifers from the better milking cows and now I am putting a Gelbvieh bull on these black baldies...
I know I will not win a weaning weight contest, but is there still hope for my herd? :help:

Sure if you use the right bull and your cows have the milk. Why not. The herf will sure make them nice to work with I would think. There are some GV bulls out there with tremendous WW numbers. and good marbling just make sure you do your homework.

I am probably biased but I would rather have the Hereford in the cowherd. A Herford x Angus cow bred to a Gelbvieh or Balancer bull seems more preferable to me.

Brandonm22":3ox8qkbq said:
I am probably biased but I would rather have the Hereford in the cowherd. A Herford x Angus cow bred to a Gelbvieh or Balancer bull seems more preferable to me.

I tend to agree wih you however the reason I suggested buying older angus cows is there are so many of them out there. If it was me I would want the terminal cross to be 1/2 GV for the growth. If I was retaining ownership I would want the terminal calves to be 3/4 British for the marbling.

I guess you gotta just decide who/what you want to be.

Try hereford x sim cows with a blonde d'aquitaine bull or a blonde x char with a red gelbvieh bull, but all in all the balancer crossed with a hereford is the easiest and probaly the most profit making of the bunch. :nod:

double v":3s1hsmtr said:
Try hereford x sim cows with a blonde d'aquitaine bull

Sounds like a plan, it will provide everything exept black hides. But with such great conformation buyers will bid anyway?

Sounds like a plan, it will provide everything exept black hides. But with such great conformation buyers will bid anyway?These cattle finish great, sometimes you don't need the black hide to get a winner.

3waycross":38akz53v said:
Stocker Steve":38akz53v said:
WichitaLineMan":38akz53v said:

Sure if you use the right bull and your cows have the milk. Why not. The herf will sure make them nice to work with I would think. There are some GV bulls out there with tremendous WW numbers. and good marbling just make sure you do your homework.

I have have a lot of hereford or rwf cows and heifers. Seems like about 20% of them don't have a lot of milk. Is that pretty typical, or more of a hereford trait?

[/quote]

I know I will not win a weaning weight contest, but is there still hope for my herd? :help:[/quote]

Sure if you use the right bull and your cows have the milk. Why not. The herf will sure make them nice to work with I would think. There are some GV bulls out there with tremendous WW numbers. and good marbling just make sure you do your homework.[/quote]

I have have a lot of hereford or rwf cows and heifers. Seems like about 20% of them don't have a lot of milk. Is that pretty typical, or more of a hereford trait?[/quote]

I believe in about every breed we can find certain lines that have variation in milking ability. There are Herefords that can milk.

[/quote] I believe in about every breed we can find certain lines that have variation in milking ability. There are Herefords that can milk.[/quote]

I have some nice bwf replacement heifers out of my better hereford cows, but the nicest heifers I have are shorthorn x Balancer. The SH cows seem to have a little more milk and growth on average... :cboy:

I believe in about every breed we can find certain lines that have variation in milking ability. There are Herefords that can milk.[/quote]

I have some nice bwf replacement heifers out of my better hereford cows, but the nicest heifers I have are shorthorn x Balancer. The SH cows seem to have a little more milk and growth on average... :cboy:[/quote]

That's a great cross and you are still getting the 3way with a lot of milking ability and great disposition.

double v":167u3uh2 said:
Sounds like a plan, it will provide everything exept black hides. But with such great conformation buyers will bid anyway?These cattle finish great, sometimes you don't need the black hide to get a winner.

When is the last tme anybody on here ate the hide ??? IT is B.S. that color even matters !!

HEREFORD ROADHOG":x5gywcbi said:
double v":x5gywcbi said:

When is the last tme anybody on here ate the hide ??? IT is B.S. that color even matters !!
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Latest posts