3 new ladies

Help Support CattleToday:

cypressfarms

Reaction score
Just got 3 new ladies. All heifers roughly 6 months bred, and brangus - ofcourse. They would like to say hello to the board:

3newladies.jpg

I'm partial to the one on the left, but none of my buddies like her as much as the other two. The two on the right are half sisters

ALACOWMAN":3r3s96co said:
good looking heifers.... but seriously you need too quit trying too sell us on hatchett ass :p

:D It's a deal. No more hatchett comments. :oops:

Frankie, they were bred to an angus bull. I really like the angus brangus cross.

all this talk about people getting new cows made me want to go to the breeder sale tonight. I was VERY tempted to buy a marvelous brahmanxlonghorn, bred, for 600. she was magnificent. i didnt take my checkbook on purpose though.

These three "girls" should make excellent brood cows! Good phenotype, level topline, good, roomy capacity, and ,of course, good hindquarters! Cypressfarm, your choice of the one on the left, In My Opinion, is correct - because she has a greater spring of rib, resulting in greater substance, and longer potential longevity - therefore more calf production during her lifetime. The others are fine heifers, and I don't have much criticism against them, but your girl on the left is a smoother overall heifer, with more femininity showing, is trimmer throughout, and I would surmise has a more docile personality than either of the other two.

Am I correct in my assumption?

DOC HARRIS

Beefy,

These three were from my dad's heifer group. For the last 5 years or so, he's been buying weanling heifers and raising them to sell as bred heifers. The last couple of years he's given me the option to cherry pick the ones that I wanted. Works good because I also work his cows with him, so we both can decide which ones are best. It's much easier to decide to buy a heifer when you've seen her grow for a year or more, and you know the bull she is bred to. He held these three back for me, and we brought them over today.

The big headed one you like is probably the best of the three. There is something about the phenotype of the smaller one that I like though.

DOC HARRIS":3na7ru6y said:
These three "girls" should make excellent brood cows! Good phenotype, level topline, good, roomy capacity, and ,of course, good hindquarters! Cypressfarm, your choice of the one on the left, In My Opinion, is correct - because she has a greater spring of rib, resulting in greater substance, and longer potential longevity - therefore more calf production during her lifetime. The others are fine heifers, and I don't have much criticism against them, but your girl on the left is a smoother overall heifer, with more femininity showing, is trimmer throughout, and I would surmise has a more docile personality than either of the other two.

DOC HARRIS

I cant tell a dern about these cattle's hindquarters. enlighten me, Doc.

DOC HARRIS":2wjmp86r said:

DOC HARRIS

Correct you are DOC. You could scratch the one on the left on the head if you felt the need.

why only 3?

brangus and brangusxangus type pairs were bringing 1100-1400 tonight. heavy breds too.

Beefy":3a222m7o said:
why only 3?

brangus and brangusxangus type pairs were bringing 1100-1400 tonight. heavy breds too.

That's all that I could afford. He gave them to me for $800 each so don't tell him about that sale o.k.?

Are tigers bringing a lot over there in GA? They are still topping the female sales here with brangus types coming in second. Dad bought 5 white/gray brahman heifers and wants to try to experiment with tigers. I don't know if the high price of the heifers would offset the beating you take on the steers.

cypressfarms":39ixg94i said:
Beefy":39ixg94i said:
why only 3?

That's all that I could afford. He gave them to me for $800 each so don't tell him about that sale o.k.?

Are tigers bringing a lot over there in GA? They are still topping the female sales here with brangus types coming in second. Dad bought 5 white/gray brahman heifers and wants to try to experiment with tigers. I don't know if the high price of the heifers would offset the beating you take on the steers.

i rarely see tigerstripes here and if i do a lot of the time they are not the real thing or of good quality. i'm in a really blackblinded area. people will pay big money for crappy brangus cows before they will superior coloreds. there were a bunch of excellent charolais cows with horned hereford newborn calves that averaged about 1000-1150, comparatively.

i still want to get some brahman cows and do the replacement heifer thing. beefmasters, tigers, and brangus f-1s. i can always use a hereford or angus bull on the beefmasters too.

commercial brahman heifers are getting hard to find around here. My guess is that in four or five years, we'll be flooded with tigers. You can still buy all the registered brahmans you want, but you'll go broke doing that.

I cant tell a dern about these cattle's hindquarters. enlighten me, Doc.
You might call it "Local Knowledge" for want of a better explanation. Compare the width and depth of those hindquarters, that you can see, with the forequarters. Then take into consideration what "Foreshortening" does to a picture, and realize that they are Brangus - and you have a pretty good picture of reasonably good hindquarters. A good 'square-on' view I think would verify my assumption. Nevertheless, I still prefer a wide, deep, thick Continental-TYPE hindquarter, but Brangus certainly have their place - both physiologically and geographically.

DOC HARRIS

cypressfarms":21y1l4pr said:
commercial brahman heifers are getting hard to find around here. My guess is that in four or five years, we'll be flooded with tigers. You can still buy all the registered brahmans you want, but you'll go broke doing that.

there is one guy that has show quality red brahmans in georgia and other than that they are pretty scarce. if you do see any at a sale they are at the weekly sale and mean and/or gross.

Beefy":3qz80z8w said:
cypressfarms":3qz80z8w said:

there is one guy that has show quality red brahmans in georgia and other than that they are pretty scarce. if you do see any at a sale they are at the weekly sale and mean and/or gross.

I should have phrased that differently. You can find brahman heifers, but even the commercial ones are commanding way too high of a price. My guess is that the folks that have them are looking to capitalize on the tiger replacement market. Ofcourse $1300 to $1400 for tigers bred to angus bulls is nice money.

Latest posts