3 lbs/daily gain possible??

Help Support CattleToday:

dieselbeef

Reaction score
customer has a steer for the march fair. wieghs around 300-350 right now. must wiegh 650 by sept 1 i think. thats 90 days and needs to wiegh at least 300 more than it does now

a minimum daily gain of 3lbs per day AT LEAST. is this poss on a 14% protien diet w/hay forage.

they asked me if they could use my pellets to help with the feed moneys. but my feed is 9% at best. fine for cuttin it i think but will slow the gains..altho it makes for great coats and good ruemens. but i dont think it would help the gains any..even at free choice

i told them i didnt think it was gonna happen. not sure if they bought the steer or not

yall think its poss....?

will this diet do it or if not and it can be done? wont he just be a big fattie and not show well since hes all blubber and no frame?

idk beans bout showin cattle so....

gary

I would say it is not possible if it is a show steer... Not on a 9% feed... Maybe a 12% high grain diet letting him eat all he wanted... It all depends on what breed(s) are in the calf... What is his breeding? If it was mostly maine anjou, it might be possible... If it where my steer and my kids were showing it, I would give it a try...
Good luck

see idk the breed or anything..theyll throw him free choice of the 14% and use the 9% on top to stretch it out some..i do know his cost and skin will be very good and smooth shiney finish....but i think he would still just be a fat pig even if he made weight

gary

dieselbeef":5pr1vemh said:
see idk the breed or anything..theyll throw him free choice of the 14% and use the 9% on top to stretch it out some..i do know his cost and skin will be very good and smooth shiney finish....but i think he would still just be a fat pig even if he made weight

gary

I'd tell him to throw away the junkfeedss and feed a good high quality SHOW CALF STARTER if he's trying to grow a show calf. Done right he can get him to weight in time.

We've had some of our weaned and yearling calves gain 2.5 to 2.75# a day on bermuda grass and quality high protein bermuda hay with our Longhorn Cattle! Yes, it is possible. We frequently have calves gaining 1.75 to 2.25# a day otherwise on the same diet. We also feed high quality minerals and NO range cubes or other bagged feed.

It's possible. We have a MainexAngus cow that had about a 3.2 ADG as a young show heifer.
We fed high quality show calf starter, 14%, and as she progressed added some cottonseed hull. Plus
lots of good quality hay. You never know, it could happen!

Yes it is possible , if done right. feed a good 14% ration with some hay. What breed & what age is this calf ? We just took a purebred Hereford heifer to butcher that weighed 1360 # at exactly 14 mos old. she was not fed hard until the last month. :cboy:

i havent heard from them since the original call..have no ideas on the breed /age/etc. wish i could get 1400 lbers in 14 mos..mine are typically only 1k about 20 mos..strictly on bahia grass tho...maybe 5 lbs of pellets if he can force his way into the trough to eat that much

dieselbeef":1kvv39ga said:
i havent heard from them since the original call..have no ideas on the breed /age/etc. wish i could get 1400 lbers in 14 mos..mine are typically only 1k about 20 mos..strictly on bahia grass tho...maybe 5 lbs of pellets if he can force his way into the trough to eat that much
Well as long as you can make a profit holding cattle for that long keep at it. If you are not making a profit however I'm sure there are people who would buy your calves and put weight on them cheaper and in a more timely fashion.