?? 2WD or 4WD ??

Help Support CattleToday:

About the only reason not to get a 4wd is they tend to tear up a hayfield a little when turning on the headlands if you are going to cut hay with it, but I'm sure someone will disagree with me on this.

had 3 green ones sold them at auction cost less than 1k per year not including depre.just went to orange 4wd is the way to go when i get done with a tractor you can tell its been worked hard and put up wet think about resale
br

My opinion:

For pulling the baler you are talking about, I would think you would be better off with a 2-wheel drive 8540 compared to a 4-wheel drive 7040. I would think the price not that different for those two configurations? For a tractor the size of a 7040, I would think 4WD would be a must with a front end loader. Absent the loader, I would not think the 4WD as important.

(Of course, I looked at the 8540 a few years ago and ended up buying a John Deere 5093E. I thought the JD offered more for the money then did the Kubota)

We bought a 4wd 7040 with a loader and cab this time last year. Pulled a 504 roller with it. Had no problems and power left over. I think you will be fine.

You will need a 4wd, 2wd has no resale value. Kubotas are so light it takes 4wd. I have a 108 hp and a 90 hp that i haven't got delivery on yet. Put R4 rubber on the 90hp becuse the farm tires were not heavy enough to hold up the load of the loader in the condition it will be working and this makes it lower to the ground . If you are going to use it to feed with get a cab heat and air. This will make you wnat to go feed.

There sure enough light Hillrancher. I got a M9000 that gets a little light in the rear loading hay. Got put fluid in the back tires before we get to running to hard this year.

4 Wheel Drive.
The front end is heavier. I do not feel lifting 1,000 lb rolls is as hard on a 4WD front end.
I have a 100 HP tractor. Carrying a roll down a terrace in the winter mud will cause me to slide if not in 4WD.

I took delivery on a new 504 M Classic this winter. I have not baled with it yet. I am not certain I will need the 4WD to bale. I know I depend on the 4WD in many other areas. Just makes it more tractor having all 4 wheels as an option to work.
Congratulations on which tractor you chose.

4WD, I just broke down and got the M8540HDC 4x4 Cab with FEL. You will be very happy with that set up on your farm. The 8540 isnt much larger in overall size compared to the 7040 but its going to be a very good tractor for our cattle farm.

Latest posts