?? 2WD or 4WD ??

Help Support CattleToday:

HDRider

Reaction score
I am trying to decide between 2 and 4 wheel drive. Please share with me why I would go the extra expense of 4WD? The purchase price difference is not all that much, maybe 4%, but there is the extra maintenance cost for the 4WD over time.

The tractor will be used all year long moving hay, sometime in snow (not much), sometimes in ice (even less), sometimes in mud (fairly often) and mostly on firm soil.

I will use the tractor to cut and bale hay, and general utility, with a frontend loader.

This will be my only tractor to use on my 150 acre cow/calf operation.

I am set on Kubota, in the 60 - 70 HP range. Should I go 2WD or 4 WD??

4or2WDKubota.jpg

I always say 4wd, but the andwer depends on what you're doing with it and wether or not you have another tractor that is 4wd.
But I say 4wd. You'll wish you had it one day

Get the four wheel drive. I have 1600+ hours on the one you have pictured. It should do well for your size operation. I wouldn't go any smaller if your baling with it.

fitz

I'm already wishing I had bought 4wd. I had a small (33hp Ford) 4wd, with loader and shuttle shift that would work circles around this 6610 I just bought (doing loader work) . I needed more HP, and thought the much bigger/heavier tractor would be fine without 4wd. I really like this tractor, but already looking to trade up to 4wd. Guess I was already spoiled

4wd, you won;t need it all the time but when you do it's a lifesaver. The fedding in mud is when I appreciate it the most.

How long are you going to keep it? 4 wheel is the only way to go in a smaller tractor. The 7040 has a small 4 cylinder engine. The 8540 and up has a real good 4 cylinder engine. Kubota is a good tractor, a little light but a good tractor all the same.

If you can afford it 4WD you will never regret it like Dun said it means alot putting out hay and not spinning all the time.

go with the 4wd drive,you wont be sorry.if you go with a 2wd drive an decide you want to trade youll loose some money on the trade.because not meny people buy 2wd drives anymore.

the truth is most every1 owns at lest 1 4wd drive tractor.i bought a MX5100 HST 4x4 w/LA844 quick tatch loader in 2010.

I have a 7040 in 4wd, feed a lot of hay with it in the mud. I think you would regret getting 2wd if your in the mud much. Tractor is a whole different machine in 4wd, it will not do in 2wd what my old Ford 4630 would do as far as pulling something without spinning out, but in 4wd it does all I ask of it.

You will have your hands full pulling a bailer with a 7040. Good by engine, the bailer will out last the engine.

highgrit":2df6b9ow said:
You will have your hands full pulling a baler with a 7040. Good by engine, the baler will out last the engine.

That issue is top of mind. The tractor is rated at 70 HP and the baler is recommending at least 55. I should be good, right?

well if you really want to step it up,you can go to a 8540 HDC ROPS 4x4 loader for under $40,000 unless theyve gone up bigtime.i priced that tractor setup exactly for $37,500 in dec of 2011 maybe more maybe less i cant remember.with the 8540 you can pull any baler up to a 5 by 6.the 7040 should be priced at $36,000 or less but my memory maybe a tad off on prices,as the price on the 7040 was about 18 months ago.

HDRider":3j67ytaz said:
highgrit":3j67ytaz said:
You will have your hands full pulling a baler with a 7040. Good by engine, the baler will out last the engine.

That issue is top of mind. The tractor is rated at 70 HP and the baler is recommending at least 55. I should be good, right?
PTO HP on mine is 62, I think the newer ones with the turbo are 64.
Basic 7040 lists for about $33,000, neighbor priced one locally with loader for $36,000. The 8540 starts at a a little less than $36,000 on Kubota's site.

highgrit":ns2871xh said:
You will have your hands full pulling a bailer with a 7040. Good by engine, the bailer will out last the engine.

Would like a 8540 or 9540. Weren't in my price range at the time.
I use a 4x4 new holland baler on some mighty step hills. I guess so far I've been lucky on engines.

fitz

fitz":2iszaeaq said:
highgrit":2iszaeaq said:

Would like a 8540 or 9540. Weren't in my price range at the time.
I use a 4x4 new holland baler on some mighty step hills. I guess so far I've been lucky on engines.

fitz
I pull a NH 848 chain baler with mine, baled some on a neighbors farm that was steep and could tell it going uphill but otherwise no problems pulling it yet. Mine is a 2008 model with 750 hours on it. If you took my 4wd away I belive I would sell my cows. This place is low ground so it is nice when feeding hay.

Tom4018 said:
I pull a NH 848 chain baler with mine, baled some on a neighbors farm that was steep and could tell it going uphill but otherwise no problems pulling it yet. Mine is a 2008 model with 750 hours on it. If you took my 4wd away I believe I would sell my cows. This place is low ground so it is nice when feeding hay.

Tom, R U running a 7040 with your baler?

That 8540 sounds nice, and maybe a $5K spread ain't so bad compared to the 7040 . Just don't want to waste my nickles, only got a few.

HDRider":3sic45og said:
Tom4018 said:
I pull a NH 848 chain baler with mine, baled some on a neighbors farm that was steep and could tell it going uphill but otherwise no problems pulling it yet. Mine is a 2008 model with 750 hours on it. If you took my 4wd away I believe I would sell my cows. This place is low ground so it is nice when feeding hay.

Tom, R U running a 7040 with your baler?

That 8540 sounds nice, and maybe a $5K spread ain't so bad compared to the 7040 . Just don't want to waste my nickles, only got a few.
Yes I run a NH 848 behind my M7040. Never pulled any other baler so I don't know how hard or easy they pull. Wish I had a better baler but it is hard to justify.

Latest posts