2nd twin takes how long?

Help Support CattleToday:

TK

Reaction score
Hey everybody, I usually just read and try to learn from each post but I could use some help today. Cow calved this a.m. around 7:30. It is now 10:00 a.m. She is still passing amniotic fluid and has a few contractions. I am 99% sure I saw a hoof during one of those contractions and her first calf is quite small. What is a reasonable time frame to wait for this second calf before I try to help her myself or get the vet here?

TK":2pvuycfo said:
Hey everybody, I usually just read and try to learn from each post but I could use some help today. Cow calved this a.m. around 7:30. It is now 10:00 a.m. She is still passing amniotic fluid and has a few contractions. I am 99% sure I saw a hoof during one of those contractions and her first calf is quite small. What is a reasonable time frame to wait for this second calf before I try to help her myself or get the vet here?

It's been my experience that twins come one right after the other.
Also, usually one is going to be breech (hind legs first) so I would have a feel or if you don't know what you're feeling for call a vet. If nothing more, scrub up and feel around. It'll be easy to tell if there is another calf.

It's also possible that the contractions are normal as the cow is just expelling the afterbirth.

TK":1sry4319 said:
if you think or feel she has another calf in her.id put her in the chute glove up an check her.because if she has another calf in her she shouldve had it already.so id check her an see if everything is ok.

Well the good news is I didn't feel anything. She hasn't lost all her whole placenta yet but somehow tore most of it off. I'll have to check the weight on this calf. I guess I'll take one little calf over troublesome twins.

Is there a chance she had the other one and hid it? Surprising how little a spot a new calf can hide in and be invisible

dun

One of us was watching her full time. I almost wish she had a twin which would explain the sort of wierd placenta situation. I've never seen one break off like that. Can't explain the hoof thing I saw though. I guess I will blame it on being too far away for a crystal clear view and excitement combined. The good feeling though is that the kids and I managed to take care of everything without dragging hubby and hour and half drive home. Cow isn't all that happy with us though. Left a message that no dinner got made so we're hoping for pizza tonight! Thanks for the help.

If you think you saw a foot then it may pay to check her again - arm in as far as you can go and have a good feel around. Better to be safe than sorry!

Have a good feel around inside.

Two years ago I had a cow wait 24 hours to drop the second calf. She placed it about a mile from the first and travelled back and forth between them for about three days before she brought them together for public viewing.

Raised them both.

Bez>

Bez>":2sjcqvmu said:
Have a good feel around inside.

Two years ago I had a cow wait 24 hours to drop the second calf. She placed it about a mile from the first and travelled back and forth between them for about three days before she brought them together for public viewing.

Raised them both.

Bez>

Had one wait about 4 days to drop the second. Guess we now know why SHE didn't clean. Didn't really think much of it, she had a smaller calf, but not exceptionally so, and never showed any other signs of having another calf in there. Had one moment where I thought, hmmm, maybe we should run her in and check her, but really had no reason to. Hubby found the second calf this afternoon. Partly rotten. We are pretty sure we know which cow it was. Sucks, but the cow looks to be fine, and has a healthy calf at side.....

Latest posts