2019 Fertilizer Applications ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
With high hay prices in many parts of the country - - are you looking at applying more fertilizer this year?
With high pasture costs in many parts of the country - - are you planning to reduce stocking rates?
Seems like a producer should increase fertility, and/or reduce stocking rate, to adjust to the 2018-2019 prices.

I am reducing stocking rates a little. Seems to be opposite of what everyone else is doing here. I've heard several locals talk about making more hay and increasing stocking rates so they have extra calves to sale. All I know is they must have a different pencil than me.

T & B farms said:
I am reducing stocking rates a little. Seems to be opposite of what everyone else is doing here. I've heard several locals talk about making more hay and increasing stocking rates so they have extra calves to sale. All I know is they must have a different pencil than me.

I wonder if some folks own a pencil

Might cut back on fertilizer a little. Possibility of losing one rented pasture after this year means no more fertilizer for it, but maybe divert that extra ton to my own hayfields/pastures. Friend puts 250 lbs per acre of his custom blend on his fields, so I might do a trial field of 30 acres and see how things turn out. Fertilized everything with my custom blend last year at about 150 lbs per acre, but drought kept yields down, so now with saturated soils from autumn monsoon, hoping for extra vigorous spring green-up.

High hay prices and low calf prices would seem to justify more inputs on the hayfields. I usually do one light fertilizer application. May have to double down with a split application this year. Low soybean prices makes cover crops look even better. May double down there also.

If I am overwhelmed with "too much" forage I can retain more yearlings. :cowboy:

Out here it's .27 cents per pound. I put 300 pounds per acre March 1st 2 weeks before first irrigation. And a second application mid summer. 11-52 fertilizer on alfalfa I plant 50 pounds per acre WL Seeds final yield is 10-11 tons per acre.

We're not applying more although fertilizer prices here are the same as last year. Also liming and spraying a few fields to get rid of the KY31 and plant Max Q and some fast pasture mix. We've increased stocking this spring and will likely add a few more head before the year is up. More cows on the same acreage = need more grass and hay.

We don't farm to lose money but we don't do it to get rich either. It pays for itself and the day job pays for life.

As always - can't control the weather. See what the hay crop looks like come May.

If your planting to feed your cows. Stop messing with grass and plant pearl millet or a hybrid Sudan . Triple your feed vs. all grasss types. K31 is 1970s https://postimg.cc/gallery/xxl8xoiw Here is some of my alfalfa

Very nice photos...!!! How long did it take to establish the alfalfa???? I'm in a pasture renovation process.....have a problem spot in a particularly weedy area. Thinking of using the Roundup ready alfagraze and keep knocking back the weeds before interseeding anything else.

first year crop. WL seeds are the best. By far. Select a fall dormancy based on your climate. Plant heavy 35 pounds per acre minimum and use 11-52 fertilizer.

WL brand seeds. Wlalfalfa.com 11-52 11%nitrogen 52%phosphurus is the fertilizer . Call around someone will have the seed and fertilizer. The field I posted a pic of would not grow anything for years. Now it's producing 400 small bales on 6 acres and 5 cuttings.

Richnm said:
If your planting to feed your cows. Stop messing with grass and plant pearl millet or a hybrid Sudan . Triple your feed vs. all grasss types. K31 is 1970s

Hmmmm… K31 Feeds my cows through the winter without starting a piece of machinery. Maybe I'm doing it wrong.

Richnm said:
WL brand seeds. Wlalfalfa.com 11-52 11%nitrogen 52%phosphurus is the fertilizer . Call around someone will have the seed and fertilizer. The field I posted a pic of would not grow anything for years. Now it's producing 400 small bales on 6 acres and 5 cuttings.

That web site address is not good.

Latest posts