2017 Supplemetal policies, if you are on SS/Medicare ... ??

Help Support CattleToday:

Kathie in Thorp

Reaction score
I'd be curious to know what some of you, retired and on medicare, are doing with the upcoming changes in many supplemental health care plans for 2017. We may need to make some changes to hubby's, and I want real comparisons vs. visiting 20 different insurer sites. Thank you.

I'll be more than happy to send you all the envelopes full of healthcare plans I been getting in the mail for the last 2 years. Get 2-3 every day--evidently, it's that time of year again.

Kathie in Thorp":3a4mp6ef said:
I'd be curious to know what some of you, retired and on medicare, are doing with the upcoming changes in many supplemental health care plans for 2017. We may need to make some changes to hubby's, and I want real comparisons vs. visiting 20 different insurer sites. Thank you.
Actually I'm still covered by my wife's insurance even though she's now retired. It is my primary coverage and medicare is the supplement. I think it's around $80 a month to keep me on her insurance. That includes prescription coverage, vision and dental.

TexasBred":3rlhn8i2 said:
Kathie in Thorp":3rlhn8i2 said:
Actually I'm still covered by my wife's insurance even though she's now retired. It is my primary coverage and medicare is the supplement. I think it's around $80 a month to keep me on her insurance. That includes prescription coverage, vision and dental.

What does she have, God's plan? Man, that's cheap. My mom pays close to $700/month for her and my dad. They have 1 more year until Medicare kicks in and my dad's starting to drool thinking about the money they'll save.

Bestoutwest":4j0hi2e0 said:
TexasBred":4j0hi2e0 said:
Kathie in Thorp":4j0hi2e0 said:

What does she have, God's plan? Man, that's cheap. My mom pays close to $700/month for her and my dad. They have 1 more year until Medicare kicks in and my dad's starting to drool thinking about the money they'll save.
It's through the postal service. Rural Carrriers Benefit Plan through Aetna.

Kathie in Thorp":1l9kzcty said:

My wife works through an insurance agent. She has to take some expensive meds. Each year the carriers will stop paying on some meds. This time the agent searched for different plans and found one that would save her $900 per year.

Just talked to the wife about her supplement which is with Mutual of Omaha. Her present drug plan is with Atena for now and with Humana after the first of the year and a savings of $900 a year.

hurleyjd":2srbludq said:
Just talked to the wife her supplement is with Mutual on Omaha. Her present drug plan is with Atena for now and with Humana after the first of the year and a savings of $900 a year.
Don't know about the prescription coverage cost from company to company but my understanding with the supplemental is that the coverage is identical with all of them by law, however, premiums may vary.

TexasBred":si779fsa said:
hurleyjd":si779fsa said:
Just talked to the wife her supplement is with Mutual on Omaha. Her present drug plan is with Atena for now and with Humana after the first of the year and a savings of $900 a year.
Don't know about the prescription coverage cost from company to company but my understanding with the supplemental is that the coverage is identical with all of them by law, however, premiums may vary.

You're right TB. Each plan is the same regardless of company. With Med Supp's you are looking for the best premium as well as the best customer service. Mutual of Omaha generally wins out with both. RX Part D is another animal. Lots of different plans and each company offers several different coverage options. Best to shop it each and every year as plans change as well as prescribed RX.

We are in the Pac NW, so may not have same options as others. Hubby currently via Premera, and after exploring other options for Plan F, he's probably best to just stay put, although his premiums will go up about $50/mo. His Rx plan is via Humana. I was kinda hoping to retire a little early, but w/out the Medicare at 65, and the coverage I need to have, it'd be well over $700/mo. Life's a bytch and it usually has puppies.

Kathie, you can go to the medicare website, "www.medicare.gov/" and get information relative to your zip code.

You can also check with your county, they will have a SHIP, which is State Health Insurance Assistance Program. They will have the same software you can get at the medicare gov site, but you will have a human there who does it frequently to help you. They will give you choices, cost, phone numbers, or can enroll you if you ask them to. You usually just call to set up an appointment.

You mentioned a Medicare Gap plan F, which indicates to me you may have a need for more then average coverage. Be aware, when you FIRST sign up for medicare you have a 6 month open enrollment, but the next year rolls around for open enrollment you if you did not sign up for the better coverage at the beginning they can charge you an increased premium over other in the group.

Latest posts