2016 Murray Grey Cows and Calves

Help Support CattleToday:

Backbone Ranch

Reaction score
We are in the midst of calving out our first-calf heifers right now. So far, we have had two bull calves, two heifer calves, and have two left to go. The two bull calves weighed 68 and 82 lbs, and the two heifer calves weighed 58 and 70 lbs.

The first heifer calved a week early on September 13th to a 58 lb heifer. The calf is pictured below at 4 weeks of age. She already looks a lot like her mother did as a calf. Both the sire and dam of the 632 heifer scored 10 out of 10 on the Igenity tenderness test. She is already my favorite calf in the fall calf crop.
632%20heifer%204%20weeks_zpscokhynhc.jpg

This second photo shows OK Lucy with her 2 week old bull calf. This bull calf weighed 82 lbs and already has a lot of width for his age. He is one of the darkest purebred calves that we have had. Both the sire and dam of the 633 bull calf also scored a perfect 10 out of 10 on the Igenity tenderness test.
OK%20Lucy%20with%20633%20Bull%202%20weeks_zpsusozgay7.jpg

The rest of these calves were born between early March and mid-April this year. This particular heifer calf is a 6.5 month old daughter of a very dark Murray Grey bull, MCC Trigger's Champion. She is out of a 5 year old cow and was born on March 20th at 80 lbs. We will keep her as a replacement.
620%20Heifer%206.5%20months_zpsbuiod7rn.jpg

This heifer is also a keeper. She is out of one of our biggest cows and was 98 lbs at birth. We really like her depth through her heart girth and flank. She is pictured here at 7 months.
614%20Heifer%207%20months_zpsh8x4fuy8.jpg

This next heifer is another one of my favorites. Her dam is 8 years old, and this is her second heifer calf. Her mother is very deep bodied, long, has a great temperament, and a perfect udder. This heifer was 76 lbs at birth and is pictured at 6 months of age. Her sire is BB Uncle Tony.
622%20Heifer%206%20months_zpsmlspqdfm.jpg

This was the first bull calf born this year. He was 86 lbs at birth and is sired by the Australian bull, Wallawong Under the Radar. He started out by growing upwards, but he has deepened and widened substantially over the past few months. He is 7 months old now.
601%20Bull%207%20months_zps4gcvxocs.jpg

We have a handful of Murray Grey crosses in our herd, including a cow that is part Guernsey. She is relatively young, just 4 years old, but she has proven her worth time and time again. As a first calf heifer, she raised two calves for us and she allows us to milk her in the middle of the pasture. She gave birth to a spotted bull calf this year. He just turned 6 months old and is one of the biggest and beefiest calves in the calf crop. He should be great in our beef program.
619%20Bull%206%20months_zpsymi5emr7.jpg

We purchased this cow from a Murray Grey breeder up in Oklahoma last fall. She is currently 5 1/2 years old and is raising a heifer calf that is a full sister to OK Lucy (above). We AIed this cow this past June with hopes of getting a nice bull out of her next year. Her current heifer calf is a keeper and is 7 months old.
OK%20Bee%20Happy%20with%207%20month%20old%20heifer_zpscbxbppeu.jpg

This is another cow that we purchased from Carole Brown and Tommy Gunn's herd in Oklahoma last fall. This particular cow was born in 2010 and is the mother of the 614 heifer. She has plenty of milk, a lot of depth, and is a great mother.
OK%20Bunny%206.5%20years_zpsapvpisaz.jpg

This last cow, OK Sadie, is one that is having a profound impact on our herd. She is the mother of our current herdbull, BB Uncle Tony, and much of our herd is descended from her. She is dry currently, but she is 13.5 years old. In fact, the 633 bull calf is her great great great grandson. Sadie is a frame 3 and weighed 1240 lbs after weaning her calf. We have a handful of embryos from her that we intend to use in the near future.
OK%20Sadie%2013.5%20years1_zpskjgwr0zf.jpg

This final photo shows our current herdsire, BB Uncle Tony, at 4.5 years. He is a son of OK Sadie and weighed 682 lbs at weaning. He is a frame 4 and weighed 1,860 lbs this past May. Tony will be the sire of most of our 2017 calves. Tony's first daughter gave birth this fall. She has a terrific udder and is a great mother.
BB%20Uncle%20Tony%204.5%20years1_zpsn6ccyayo.jpg

We will be weaning the calves in another three weeks or so. We have one or two cows that are a bit more drawn down than the rest, but they are towards the older end of the herd. I think that, as a group, the calves will be heavier this year than they have been in the past. I am really excited to see how these heifers grow out over the coming years.

Whenever I see or read about the "lesser breeds" I am impressed first by the cattle, but more importantly by the breeders. These truly excellent breeds seem to attract top notch breeders. Even the hobby folks who raise these animals seem to be a foot or so smarter than your average cowboy (or city guy). I find this to be true especially among Murray Greys and Devons and lately the Aubracs.

Your cattle are excellent, inside and out. Thank you.

A lady I know in Australia breeds elite-level Mastiffs; when she breeds (which is rarely), judges and long-time fanciers from around the world seek to import her pups. I have spent hours talking with her about dogs. One of the best compliments she will give a spectacular specimen is that, "He really fills out the eye." Meaning, he conforms to all aspects of the breed standard in the individual components (croup angle, depth of body, etc.), and the entire package is a whole thing that is truly lovely to see. The best animals fill out the eye, meaning you can't really look at anything else.

The cattle you share with us, almost without exception, truly fill out the eye. Congratulations to you and the breeders who came before you. You have very nice stock.

Nice bunch!

wbvs58, It seems to be that the pretty ones always know it and seem proud of themselves..I've noticed it a few times

Thank you very much! I appreciate the feedback and kind words. Our stock originally came from a herd in Oklahoma that had been very carefully bred for nearly 25 years, and we are doing our best to continue their legacy.

frieghttrain- The Cadella Park Golden Boy heifer is doing really well. I would have to say that she is one of my two favorite heifers from the 2015 calf crop. She will be bred to Tony this fall. The most recent photo that I have of her was taken during mid-August. She is pictured below at 17 months. We have had two Golden Boy sons so far, and both were/are bull prospects. We have a cow in calf to Golden Boy currently for a 2017 spring calf.
BB%20Goldie%2017%20months2_zpsbs38hqla.jpg

Beautiful cows and calves. I always enjoy pictures of your cattle. I love those Murray Greys. Thank you for sharing.

The Greys are great cattle...just not enough numbers in the U.S. to get anything going from a breed point of marketing to cattleman. Often thought that crossing the correct Grey bull on a set of F1 Angus-Charolais cows would be a good way to breed up vs. straight Angus cows that a lot of people used back in the 1970's...all they really got was another color Angus in the end.

OK Jeanne":27zw8tm3 said:
Hays: Is the #614 heifer out of OK Angie or OK Baby Doll???

Carole- She is out of OK Bunny and OK Buford. She was our biggest calf this year, but she was born unassisted and was very vigorous at birth. Both Angie and Baby Doll have bull calves this year, and both will be bull prospects. Angie's bull calf (601) is the son of Wallawong Under the Radar that I posted earlier in the thread. Here is a photo of Under the Radar at 20 months. The 601 bull is the first calf that we have had out of him and we will be breeding more cows to Wallawong Under the Radar in the future; Under the Radar comes from an Australian stud that has had tremendous success in carcass competitions.
Wallawong_under_the_radar.jpg

Latest posts