2008 so far::::::

Help Support CattleToday:

holly heifer

Reaction score
:eek: So far, we have had 3 normal births ( one a first timer! :lol: ) All 3 are really healthy,
were up and nursing quickly after birth. Moms all have excellant udders and are good moms.
Now for the wrecks: another first timer ( was in the maternity stall) she went into labor,'
the head and shoulders came out, calf was alive and mooing at us. She quit having contractions and we proceeded to help. it would not budge, I watched the life eb out of this
small calf and cussed everone around me. The vet was summoned and he calf jacked a
dead malformed calf. The stomach was hanging out the umbilical, the intestines were
free floating in the uterus. :frowns: The heifer is fine, recovered well from the incident.
The other wreck was from an old cow ( got missed when we culled) she prolasped her cervix. The vet shoved it back, sewed her up, and induced her. We then cut the stitches
and had to pull a breech dead calf. :x
The last wreck was a nice bull calf that would not nurse. He was septic and had to be tube
fed for 3 days. Also on baytril and banamine. This am he took his bottle and was jumping
around. :banana: Looks like a bottle- starter calf for the 4-H show.
We have 30 more to go, 5 heifers under close watch. :help:

i got six left. i have 184 on the ground with 2 sets of twins. its nice to see pairs on grass :D

So far for us, 81 cows calved out, 59 left to go. 45 bull calves to 33 heifer calves, which is unusual for us, it is normally the other way around.

1 set of dead twins, 1 dead malpresented calf, both wrecks, as the cows didn't really show signs of labour early enough! 2 backwards but alive, mother and daughter both had them backwards if you can believe it. 1 assist out of a heifer, a couple convenience assists, and a big one with a big head out of a cow last night we had to use the snare to get. Thanks to the neighbours Black Simm bull :mad: ... Hope the rest are easier than that one, he was in for 10 days or so :shock:

i had more bull calves earlier in the year, now they are even. weird?? one of the twins i was able to graft onto a cow that lost her calf the night before.

Sixty percent calves on ground. All healthy. Eighty percent bulls so far. Pulled a large bull calf with good results. The rest should calve by the end of April. We have been blessed.

Latest posts