2022 calves so far

Help Support CattleToday:

Looking good. Looks like lots of dry ground for them to run on. I managed to keep most alive this year. Lost a couple sets of twins and have one purebred bull calf that seems determined to die at some point. Still too much snow here.

Nice bunch of calves. I checked my cows tonight, and found another dead calf, that makes three so far this spring.
I absolutely hate finding a dead calf. It's usually one that was bucking and playing the night before. It's one thing to nurse one along and lose it and have a good idea as to the reason why. The mystery deaths are even harder to take for me.

I absolutely hate finding a dead calf. It's usually one that was bucking and playing the night before. It's one thing to nurse one along and lose it and have a good idea as to the reason why. The mystery deaths are even harder to take for me.
Mine were all born dead, or maybe the cow laid on it; they were all found where the cows lay down for the night. It really sucks find a dead one. You might say that each lost calf is a weeks worth of wages lost.

When that ill mannered cow lost her calf I called B to get her out of the field and into the corral. I said I had a dead calf. He replied welcome to the club. I have 41 cows out here. He is calving out a thousand or more. I am sure he has more new calves on someday than I have cows. There are days when he tells me about cows and calves that he lost that day and some of the interesting ways they find to die. We branded a couple hundred of his last week. A horse kicked one of the biggest best looking calves in the head. Dropped it like a stone. He had a cow that was calving. The head was out. One more good push and the calf would be out. Cow took a nose dive into the creek and drowned. An old sick cow of his son's got into his field. Staggered across the field fell over landing on top of a perfectly healthy calf. The list goes on.

Despite my best efforts I have not yet managed to kill them all. They were laid out nice after feeding this morning so I was able to film a good chunk of them while mommas were at the buffet.

Now that a nice batch of calves. They looking good.