2008 Haying - Alabama Style

Help Support CattleToday:

Dang fine looking hay and a good clean job in the field. And to hit the rain just right? well done.

Nice pics.

I was wondering about the hay in the shed. I have read and considered stacking that way. My new loader will tilt that far over but you must have done that outside and then moved it in.

Tell me more. Nice job.

Wewild,

Acutally I used the spear in the flat side of the bale and just set the 1st layer down at an angle and let it fall over. The second layer I did the same way but let the leading lower edge just touch the top of the bale on the 1st layer, I then let it fall into the 1st layer. The first time it tried to put a bale on another it must have took me 4 or 5 tries to get it up there. Now after the first few bales, it gets easy. As the old saying goes practice makes perfect.

To get the top layer down, I can reach up with my spear and drag it off.

In years past I have stacked bales in the barn using the round side. I would stack 3 layers and hated it because of the weight the bales would settle. Later when you took the bales out, they would be a malformed from the settling.

By stacking the way I do but laying on the flat side, the bales look as good a year later as they did the day you put them in the barn.

I know this sounds dumb, but I sell most of my excess hay to the "horse folks" and they like it better if the round bales are round.

Very nice hay and the pictures are great. Thanks for posting. I can't see how you have enough head room under the side shed to stack as you described. My second thought was how do you get them back out?
Thanks
bird dog

Nowland you wouldn't happen to have a picture of that hay lift that mounts on the front of that tractor in action or even jsut on it would you. I want to see how this thing works and what it looks liek on it. Thanks.

Latest posts