2007 Breeding Season

Help Support CattleToday:

we used a Danny Boy son- connealy Danny 5398- from select sires on our heifers last spring. will have calves coming in march and am excited to see how they turn out. From the research i have done i am expecting good thick, fast growing calves with good hind quarters. I spoke to someone who saw him at the stud and was told he looked very impressive as a youngster.

we also had a couple sticks of gridmaker we used up but have not been very happy with his calves- not nearly as muscular as bragged up to be.

we have a few calves coming from the simmental bull- Nichols Legacy as well- first year we have used him but supposed to be a great cow-maker.

Well I was mainly interested in Angus but it doesn't matter what breed. I enjoy learning about other breeds of cattle as well. The more you know the better decisions you can make.

Angus In Texas":1h7wz53e said:
If everyone would put the breed on their post it would be much appreciated. I am not that familiar with many breeds outside of Angus and some club calf.

We also don't approve of funnel butts. We will be using the
below two bulls for AI: Rockliffe Patron(first photo) and
JOPA Elation Power (second pic)....and for live cover we will
be using a son of Power and a son of Patron. These are
Murray Grey bulls.

R_Patron.jpg

jopaElationPower.jpg

FUNNEL BUTT ANGUS[/b] and the loss of musculinity in many of the Angus Family lines have been intolerable, and wiser heads must prevail to rectify those errors in judgement, and bring this breed back to the respectability it enjoyed, legitimately, in years past. There are many bulls currently who possess the Phenotype AND Genetics to do just that, if breeders will just look and see the possibilities.

Just my thoughts.

DOC HARRIS

Doc said something about funnel butts :D

blacksnake":1mrafhdf said:
Small angus herd, will be using these

2V1
Corona
Foresight
Objective
New Level
Mainline
Highmark

Each one selected for a differnt reason
Are you saying that you concentrate on "Single Trait Selection"? What plans are in place for your NEXT breeding season with the progeny of this year's matings? What specific bulls do you plan to use with the remainder of the six names that you mentioned?

What modifications do you anticipate putting into place with the progeny of 2V1? What traits of the cows are you attempting to correct by mating to 2V1?

You have an interesting classification of "Genetic Influences" with your indicated protocols. I am curious about your motives and rationals concerning your selections. Could you elucidate please?

DOC HARRIS

Thanks Jeanne,

I thought you were implying I was breeding for them with bulls that I am using. We strive to not breed "funnel butts" however we also like to take EPD's into consideration thus we won't use a bull just because he will add tons of hindquarter. I do not practice single trait selection.

I feel like as long as the feeders, packers, sellers, and consumers aren't complaining about the product being provided then that is what matters most.

Angus,

Total
Perdestined
Rito 1/2

Charolais

M6 Right Now - Grid Maker x 248.. Explosive muscle...
LHD Cigar - Semen is expensive
Impressive D040 - Just love his calves
Duke 914 - Multi trait leader 10 times.
Duke 761 - sire of 914
Firemaker - exciting Gridmaker x Zsa Zsa
Easy Blend - Surpriser next spring

Adding on to Doc's prediction about 878 being used in the future, it's already happening. ABS claims that sales on him had begun to increase again this last spring. People have had a chance to get some daughters in production that have proven to be good cows, and they want to make more of them.

This spring I am planning to use Sinclair Net Present Value, who is a total outcross to most lines with calving ease and all the other good traits for balanced cattle, get your semen through Accalerated Genetics. Sorry but I had to put my plug in for Accelerated!!! I used him on some heifers last year and they are due here in a few weeks, I am excited to see what I get.

I am also going to use a Hereford bull from Genex named Lad, SAV Predominant, Emblazon 702, BC Matrix, Image Maker, and maybe 878 and In Focus if I can figure out who to mate them to. Most of the cows I will AI are commercial, but I also have a few registered cows.

DOC

I am always eager to read your posts and I won't pretend to know a fraction of what you know about cattle but here is my reasoning. Some of my reasoning is trying to produce cattle that I can sell in my area to my customers so I am essentially trying to breed animals that they use.

Are you saying that you concentrate on "Single Trait Selection"?
No, I'm actually trying to match some of my current percieved weaknesses to the strenghts of some of these bulls and to meet my customer's demands.

What plans are in place for your NEXT breeding season with the progeny of this year's matings?
I will retain very few of the offspring.

What specific bulls do you plan to use with the remainder of the six names that you mentioned? Not sure of the question.

What modifications do you anticipate putting into place with the progeny of 2V1? What traits of the cows are you attempting to correct by mating to 2V1?
I used 2V1 on one animal, a smaller framed BR Midland daughter. I'm hoping 2V1 will increase frame size and increase milk.

You have an interesting classification of "Genetic Influences" with your indicated protocols. I am curious about your motives and rationals concerning your selections. Could you elucidate please?
I don't brother with trying to sell bulls, they are just too much of a hassle. My main focus is selling bred heifers. Most of these I sell to 2-3 repeat customers. One of these customers sells freezer beef and would like to see more tenderness as well as adequate marbling. I am trying to see if I can supply what he wants.The balance I am selling in a bred heifer sale. Here is a breif rationale for each bull selected.

Objective- will be used to breed heifers for a sale where Objective bred heifers have been top sellers in the past.

New Level- will be used to breed cows with the purpose of keeping replacement heifers. Many of the cows he will breed are of VRD descent. New level has a high heifer pregnancy epd, high efficiency, high milk. I think this breeding will generate some good replacements.

Mainline -high tenderness bulls with pretty good growth
will be used on heifers

Highmark-high tenderness bull with good growth, IMF and will be used to breed mature cows with the intent of saving some replacements

Foresight-will be bred to mature cows, may keep some as replacements. This is also a high tenderness bull.

Corona-I got a couple staws free with the past purchase of a heifer. Hadn't thought too much about him until I went to a sale where his progeny looked good and were in the upper tier in sales $

Primestar- I forgot to mention him since I had already used him, again he is high tenderness, high IMF, I used him on heifers.
I am curently testing all heifers through Bovigen for tenderness, marbling, and feed efficiency genes. Just using these as another tool not as the one and only factor.
Hope this helps and please continue to educate all of us.
thanks

Angus In Texas":4hcqmdrd said:
Avalon,

Have you seen any 4L60's or Wild Fire's yet?
4L60 calves I don't think are thick enough. I was at an Angus breeders farm a few months ago and he had some of his first 4L60 calves and I didn't like the looks of any of them. He had all the 7 bull calves steered and and he is a Registered Black Angus breeder.

THG

LFF":29chr8j1 said:
Herefords

LFF Schurable
LFF Frankie Lei
KCF LFF Bennett 774
EF F745 Frank
Looks like your heading in a more inherd bloodline, that is good, because you know what to expect the calves to be like.

THG