200,000 mile club

Help Support CattleToday:

Had one like that too, dun. Sure got an earful when I would get absent minded and park on dad's nice, clean driveway and it left those ugly, not so little splatters.

Hey folks, remember the "good old days" --- when about 1 out every 10 vehicles you saw on the road was smoking like crazy, and if you got to 100,000 miles on the vehicle without a major overhaul that was a pretty happy (and fairly unusual) event? Remember all those ring jobs, frequent spark plug changes, bad points, etc. ? They really do make engines a LOT better these days, in addition to all the crumple zone, air bags, etc. improvements that enable us to survive some pretty nasty collisions.

Arnold Ziffle":83g1j5q8 said:
Had one like that too, dun. Sure got an earful when I would get absent minded and park on dad's nice, clean driveway and it left those ugly, not so little splatters.

No drips. It uses it to lubricate everything including the muffler and tail pipe. Only smokes (visibly) when it's first fired up. The spark plug wiores are permanently fused to the plugs and I haven't been ableto get them off to change plugs. Got a new set sitting there all gapped and ready to put in. I've had them sitting there now a couple of years from when I first bought the truck. Mosquitos aren't a problem around it though.

dun

I just turned 100k on my truck, and I thought I was accomplishing something! Sounds like I have many more miles to look forward to out of the ol' Ford. I usually trade them in for new ones long before 100k, but with the farm, now I beat the crap out of them and have to keep them as trade in value is shot after a few yrs.

91 ford ranger 287436 when the fuel pump died, was getting pretty weak so i gave it to a freind of a friends son who changed the fuel pump and he put another 19000 when it finally gave up the ghost!!! noitice i said GAVE it
95 f150 4x4 178500 on it and it still runs stong, but starting to use oil!!!!!
of course i cahnge the oil fathfully but i do not baby them at all, in fact i probabally ABUSE them!!! :D :D :D

Just bought a 94 F-250 diesel. It's a work truck with 255,000 miles and I'm the 3rd farmer to own it. runs great

92 Ford F250 4x4, 7.3 inter. auto over drive. Just over 259,000. Never been inside the engine. Did have a valve guide go bad so instead of just taken care of that I went ahead and pulled the heads and did a valve job on it. New injector pump and trans rebuild at around 200,000. It loves the hwy. Pulls good. It's never let me down. It's been a good truck. I'm shooting for 500,000. Funny, but I think my next one will be a dodge, I wanna try that cummings on.

A question for all of you Dodge owners. I have often heard that Dodge is a absolute workhorse of a truck, but the bodies can't keep up. In your experience, is this true?

In my experience, the 318, 360 and (of course) Cummins Diesel engines are bulletproof. Don't know about the V10 - never had one since I ain't made of money ;-)

Haven't had any body problems per se, although fit & finish is HORRIBLE as is typical of Chrysler - as an example one of my trucks is an '01 half ton which the dashboard is cracked in 4 places - unacceptable for that year vehicle and this climate.

The automatic transmissions have always been my problem - the 46R series trannies used in V6, 318 and 360 V8 (except HD) models are junk. I don't have any experiences with the 47R series trannies, which are used in the 360 V8 HD, V10 and Cummins models.

I didn't have any problems with a manual (NV4500) trannie in a Cummins powered 1 ton I owned.

Also have had repeated drivetrain troubles on all of em - U joints, rear differential components seem to wear out pretty quick.

I've ditched all my Dodge trucks around 150K.

Mike Bishop - http://www.flbullrider.com

91 ford ranger 289750 needs a new fuel pump little weak now but sit fires and runs good! 4 cly 5 speed used and abused a lot!!!!

95 ford f150 4x4 201000 replaced water pump aboput 100 miles ago can still pull a 2 horse trailer up the hill just fine!!!! just starting to use a little oil

00 f350 4x4 dually powerstroke 7.3 133000 strong strong strong

fords seem to do better for me but then MAINTENANCE is very important!! change oil, filters etc as needed, catch the little thuings before they turn into BIG things

:D :D :D

94 Chevy 1500 work truck 265,000 miles. only problems have been a water pump, altenator, and radiator replaced.

Vortec V6 engine - still starts with one turn of the key and no pumping of the gas ;-)

Are you counting big trucks? 835,000+ on the ol' Peterbilt. Still running great! Use it for hauling hay and the dozer.

Last pick up we had with a lot of miles was a '91 Ford 3/4 ton with 225K+. I finally made hubby give it away.. what an eyesore!

I hate to admit it.. I'm driving a Toyota also. We've traded trucks every two years for the past six. LOVE the Toyota! Like driving a cadillac after the 1 ton Dodge dually.

Latest posts