20 month old bull

Help Support CattleToday:

salebarn junkie":30zfwc0p said:
If I had 20 cows to breed I'd use this bull without a second thought but if I had the numbers that cow girl has id use good reg bulls of the same breed. I think the biggest mistake people make is spending to much on bulls to breed a few cows, but in this case it completely the opposite. Uniformaty didn't matter in a 30 cow operation but In a 150 cow operation your starting to talk about some real dollars.

How many head of cattle does cowgirl8 have? I missed the post where she said.

salebarn junkie":3saz24jg said:
If I had 20 cows to breed I'd use this bull without a second thought but if I had the numbers that cow girl has id use good reg bulls of the same breed. I think the biggest mistake people make is spending to much on bulls to breed a few cows, but in this case it completely the opposite. Uniformaty didn't matter in a 30 cow operation but In a 150 cow operation your starting to talk about some real dollars.

Can one bull breed 150 cows in a 90 day window? I haven't ever tried it.
I don't see why you wouldn't spend some money on a bull to breed 20 cows. Say you give 5 grand for him and can sell him for 2 grand when your done with him. If you use him 4 years and produce 75 calves from those 20 cows, you should be well under a $100 a calf in a bull, even after his expenses. Not bad when they are bringing what they are right now. JMO

chippie":3ro4agza said:
salebarn junkie":3ro4agza said:

200 +/-

B&M Farms":1eoci4qe said:
salebarn junkie":1eoci4qe said:

I don't see why you wouldn't spend some money on a bull to breed 20 cows. Say you give 5 grand for him and can sell him for 2 grand when your done with him. If you use him 4 years and produce 75 calves from those 20 cows, you should be well under a $100 a calf in a bull, even after his expenses. Not bad when they are bringing what they are right now. JMO

No it can't but it ought to be able to breed 40 to 50 that's in Southwest MO were there not traveling long distances that's if you only have one calving season. There's know way I would spend a hundred dollars to breed a commercial cow. Your using numbers when the markets at its peak (my opinion).

TennesseeTuxedo":3omyqrsx said:
chippie":3omyqrsx said:
salebarn junkie":3omyqrsx said:

200 +/-

Thank you. My husband managed a registered Hertford operation with over 300 mother cows. I did day work for the ranch. All cattle were checked daily and those who were to be AI'd were checked twice daily.

I thought that she had a bigger operation the way she talks.

salebarn junkie":2imimxpl said:
If your calves varied 300 lb I doubt its the bull.
All cows has weaned 500-600lbs calves in previous years before the mutt bull came in. There was nothing wrong with the cows or the forage. We even provided them a creep feeder. This year's calf crop (sired by new bull) looks way better than these calves out of that mutt bull. We are in max profit and want to taking of more advantages without increasing numbers of mature cows on the land. I'm not in quantity business.

salebarn junkie":2tc94rb9 said:
B&M Farms":2tc94rb9 said:
salebarn junkie":2tc94rb9 said:

No it can't but it ought to be able to breed 40 to 50 that's in Southwest MO were there not traveling long distances that's if you only have one calving season. There's know way I would spend a hundred dollars to breed a commercial cow. Your using numbers when the markets at its peak (my opinion).
I'm not putting one bull on 40-50 cows unless I'm doing two calving seasons and then I'd want a good gap.

How many head of cattle does cowgirl8 have? I missed the post where she said.[/quote]

200 +/-[/quote]

Thank you. My husband managed a registered Hertford operation with over 300 mother cows. I did day work for the ranch. All cattle were checked daily and those who were to be AI'd were checked twice daily.

I thought that she had a bigger operation the way she talks.[/quote]

Heck the way she talks you would think she owns the King Ranch.

wacocowboy":2sdu06d0 said:

200 +/-[/quote]

I thought that she had a bigger operation the way she talks.[/quote]

Heck the way she talks you would think she owns the King Ranch.[/quote]
That's just a hobby ranch.

salebarn junkie":1qi760oj said:
B&M Farms":1qi760oj said:
salebarn junkie":1qi760oj said:

hundred buck premium ain't much when you take into consideration the added value of your replacement heifers. But I've always thought it was silly to pay a premium for terminal sires- Good middle of the road Char ought to inject as much growth potential as the average commercial momma cow can handle w/o you having to go out and buy high end bulls. Middle of the road I'm talking 3-5k.

Here's a better picture with a calf out of the sim bull close to the same age....

Doesnt matter what kind of bull you have on terminal cows, papers no papers, if you know he's going to produce good consistent calves...Like i said in the beginning, we are trying out this red bull, if we see he's not making anything special, he hits the road. Since he was just 1, we dont expect a large number out of him.. But this one i can tell is his.

cowgirl8":39a3lv5b said:
Doesnt matter what kind of bull you have on terminal cows, papers no papers, if you know he's going to produce good consistent calves...Like i said in the beginning, we are trying out this red bull, if we see he's not making anything special, he hits the road. Since he was just 1, we dont expect a large number out of him.. But this one i can tell is his.
Terminal cows?? :shock: :shock:

TexasBred":s2dn6ert said:
cowgirl8":s2dn6ert said:
Consistent? I'm having a hard time to believe that one.

TexasBred":fwo8tm8y said:
cowgirl8":fwo8tm8y said:
I meant calves.... although, this herd is the cows last stop before being sold.

Latest posts