20 month old bull

Help Support CattleToday:

They will always be a novelty breed because of the association(s).
But there are breeders within each association that are more interested in the animals than the politics.
There are four associations/registries in the US that I know of now. I know breeders in three of them that raise some fine stock.

In the name of that great American?- Rodney King.....Can't we just all get along!
Seriously, I think the time may be right to get everybody back to the table and end this personal feud. There seems to be a consensus about the type of cattle needed and our genetics are "spot on" for grass based beef production!
As a director in one of the associations, I'm ready to bury the hatchet and work together to allow this breed to reach it's potential in the US!

Dave,
I think most of the membership of all registries would like to see a unification. I'd love it. But I can't see the heavy handedness of one giving way to the independence of the other or the simple nature of the other.
I'll do what I can though. Just tell me what you'd like.

I am all for the unification of the associations/ registries. I know I am young, but I am willing to do what I can to assist.

I hope you MG breeders will able to reunited the association! These cattle seems that they have lot of things to offer to most cattlemen!

He's a nice looking bull...a good example of the breed.

I prefer animals with a little more muscling in that rear and I prefer a more bully looking bull, but I'm a little old fashioned like that. Old time logic tells me that if he looks more bully that he must have more testosterone. I have no idea if that's the case, but its my way of thinking. Also, I wouldn't go nit picking his weenie. If he manages to get it into every cow on the place then its a good one in my book LOL.

This is all very interesting.

I know this is going to stir things up, and I respect the marketing efforts of The American Angus Association, but that color just seems to make sense for the southern US.

Beyond color, the breed seems to compare to Angus (to my uneducated eye) in many respects..

HDRider":38agwxrt said:

I know this is going to stir things up, and I respect the marketing efforts of The American Angus Association, but that color just seems to make sense for the southern US.

Beyond color, the breed seems to compare to Angus (to my uneducated eye) in many respects..
The breed came from an Angus bull crossed over a roan shorthorn cow, they have since been breed up using grey bulls on black cows or vice versa.

Old_man_emu":axza006b said:
HDRider":axza006b said:

The breed came from an Angus bull crossed over a roan shorthorn cow, they have since been breed up using grey bulls on black cows or vice versa.

Does that make them homozygous for the Diluter gene?

Old_man_emu":2a2ksj2o said:
HDRider":2a2ksj2o said:

I am familiar with their development and background. That said, to say they are not a favored breed here is an understatement, or at least they don't make the list of most poplar breeds in the US. Personally I like 'em, but the sale barn talk$.
http://www.americancowboy.com/culture/t ... tle-breeds

HDRider":1sjk9z47 said:
Old_man_emu":1sjk9z47 said:
HDRider":1sjk9z47 said:

I am familiar with their development and background. That said, to say they are not a favored breed here is an understatement, or at least they don't make the list of most poplar breeds in the US. Personally I like 'em, but the sale barn talk$.
http://www.americancowboy.com/culture/t ... tle-breeds
I would think that they are less popular because of limited numbers and politic issues between the associations not because the sale barns.

You may be correct Taurus. I just hear so many talk about anything not black not doing as well at the barn.

HDRider":2eht2y5d said:
You may be correct Taurus. I just hear so many talk about anything not black not doing as well at the barn.
Not always. We do well with red calves and belted calves at our local sale barns. Smokies too.

Taurus":294p96h3 said:
HDRider":294p96h3 said:
Not always. We do well with red calves and belted calves at our local sale barns. Smokies too.
May be a Southern thing.

Is 1300lbs at 20 months an issue? What was his weaning weight and yearling weight?

The bull at 7 months weighed 682 lbs. He was 55% of her body weight. We didn't weigh him as a yearling because he was breeding a group of cows. His weight is not an issue in our opinion. We couldn't have reduced his weight because all he has eaten is grass. Here are two photos of him as a 6 month old. His 10 year old mother is shown in the first image weighs 1240 lbs and is a frame score of a 2.5 to 3.
IMG_0187_zps8ad719e5.jpg

a6f1ffaa.jpg

Smart bull, what is his breeding?

I'm surprised your stock seem to be so small. They look taller. Most MG's in NZ these days would be more like frame score 5 or 6. When we first started breeding them back in 1979 they had to be frame score 4 to be eligible for registration. The use of larger Angus in the grading up process sine then, probably of North American origin, has contributed to the breeds increase in size.
We are probably in danger of getting them too big and need to select for the more moderate sized animals or we lose the muscling for which those earlier MG's were noted.

Several of our matrons were over 1700lbs when they weaned their calves back in March and we recently weighed one of our cows at 804kgs with her heifer calf at 192kgs at 119days old That's 1772lbs and the calf at 423lbs :D That's just on spring grass too.

Regarding colour of MG's. DNA work in Australia has found them to be homozygous black. The silver ones have 2 dilution genes and the chocolate coloured ones have one dilution gene.
Oh, and whilst the traditional origin was said to be a white shorthorn cow, rather than a roan, I have other evidence to suggest the original dam was actually a Galloway not a Shorthorn, and a more likely source of that dilution gene perhaps?

His sire:
OK_Boomer.jpg

His Dam:
IMG_1952_zpsc69eebf6.jpg

In his pedigree, Balmoral Elation pops up 4 times. He also has Elation Power, Cadella Park Golden Boy, Cadella Park Barcoo, Michaelong Mesa Grandee, and Michaelong Roman Invasion in his lineage.

Thanks for the line up of his ancestors. Plenty of muscle on the sire, that is what tends to lack in the more modern MG.