20 Heifers in Dec, Calves in Mar.....Hmmm

Help Support CattleToday:

leboeuf

Reaction score
Well, I remember reading a recent post about how young heifers can be bred. I don't know the actual birth dates of the heifers we purchased in early Dec but the average herd weight was 525lb. I do know that a heifer this weekend wouldn't get up, started dialating sun & dropped a healthy bull by mid day. Working the math backwards, whatcha think her average age was when bred???
This heifer is a baldy, with a total of 2 baldies in the bunch. They stay to themselves in the back of the herd & there is a possibility the other one is pregnant too..... Gotta love freebies!

leboeuf":3n6ed5ae said:
Well, I remember reading a recent post about how young heifers can be bred. I don't know the actual birth dates of the heifers we purchased in early Dec but the average herd weight was 525lb. I do know that a heifer this weekend wouldn't get up, started dialating sun & dropped a healthy bull by mid day. Working the math backwards, whatcha think her average age was when bred???
This heifer is a baldy, with a total of 2 baldies in the bunch. They stay to themselves in the back of the herd & there is a possibility the other one is pregnant too..... Gotta love freebies!

Good luck with them. It sounds like she didn't have a problem calving; that's encouraging.

If they have gained an average of 2lb/day (I'm guessing here) since you got them they should be around 665lbs now - but if 100lb or so is a baby in there then that is not good. They should be around breeding age now not calving now. If you think they are bred IMO you should get them palpated to know for sure and be ready and on a very vigilant lookout for troubles or you may end up losing a heifer or in the very least a calf. Good luck, I think your going to need it. Did they come from auction or private treaty?

they came from OK auction. they were grouped with a larger purchase from a neighbor/mentor farmer. He dropped 20 off and walked us through their shots etc. They have been feeding on winter wheat and a couple of round bales since their arrival. The farmer came over and said " yup, its a calve & its a bull". Cow is nursing and taking care of the calf. I will add some pics soon. She is not very big, cow nor calf.

The 525# weight was the average herd weight. I have no way of knowing how much she came in the pasture weighing, or what she weighs now. I know that calf is nowhere near 100#'s.

I'm not saying the calf weighted 100 lbs either but if you figure in all the 'other' stuff that is expelled in the birthing I'm sure the cow will lose around 100 lbs or more after calving.

Just make sure and keep an eye on all of them, hopefully you won't have any problems but the chance is definately a LOT higher with that small of a heifer.

Good Luck, and I would love to see some pics if you get the chance! Thanks!

Beginners luck - ignorance is bliss, blah, blah.
Count your blessings. This one might be a "freebie" but if next one kills dam, what do you call that?
Hopefully, you are supplimenting her feed. I am amazed she has enough milk to keep the calf alive.

I can't think of anything good about a heifer that young and small calving.

The calf will never do well growth wise and always be runty.
The heifers growth will be slow and she will never reach her potential.
Slim chance of rebreeding until the calf is weaned off for a while.
The heifer has lost her value as a feeder calf, and has no value as breeding stock.

I had a few, get bred early. This is what I've learned. Good Luck.

mnmtranching":nqkjx6f3 said:
I can't think of anything good about a heifer that young and small calving.

Slim chance of rebreeding until the calf is weaned off for a while.
The heifer has lost her value as a feeder calf, and has no value as breeding stock.

I had a few, get bred early. This is what I've learned. Good Luck.

For the most part, I think you're dead on correct.

Beginners luck, I think and agree.

Since this is the absolute beginning of the herd, then I'll take the "freebie" for face value. If the cow and calf live then it all works out. We plan on breeding the herd in late May/June. We'll see if she gets bred, and I guess I'll pay special attention to this "problem" cow that will eventually ruin me.... :lol2:

he's a argentine dogo. The picture is after catching a 225lb boar....took a beating and kept on going.

FaceofWarrior.jpg

230Boar2.jpg

Picture of this calf with momma, day of birth.

FirstBullMar08.jpg

Those really are some nice looking heifers. They look to be in very good condition and also look bigger then 600 lbs from the pic. Thanks for posting. In her body condition I bet she will be able to care for her calf, but you may want to wean him early, just watch her condition and the calfs condition.

Do much hog hunting?

sidney, thanks for the postive feedback. I'll have our help keep an eye on her. We are in the process of adding electronic scales to the operation. So this should help with our management.

hog hunting, its my addiction. I have hunting many animals in N America and not much compares to running hogs with dogs.... :D

Don't believe everything you hear. She may not do well, or, she may.

We had a 16 month old calve last year. She is 1/2 holstien and 1/2 Angus. She calved on April 26 last year, and this year, she calved today (March 13). Last year's calf was 69 lbs at birth and 400 lbs at weaning. Not too bad, for a yearling eh? This years calf weighed 90 lbs. She is in pretty good condition, and she hasn't seen anything other than grass since after she calved last year.

catch dogs do wear kevlar vests to protect them from the tusks and teeth. Works well, but with the right boar in the right conditions, it won't matter. The hogs do win some of these battles.

randiliana":2zkx9jjq said:
Don't believe everything you hear. She may not do well, or, she may.

We had a 16 month old calve last year. She is 1/2 holstien and 1/2 Angus. She calved on April 26 last year, and this year, she calved today (March 13). Last year's calf was 69 lbs at birth and 400 lbs at weaning. Not too bad, for a yearling eh? This years calf weighed 90 lbs. She is in pretty good condition, and she hasn't seen anything other than grass since after she calved last year.

I have to agree with Randiliana: Had a Heifer calve two years ago on easter sunday, at 14 mos, she had her 3rd calf yesterday, she weaned an above herd average calf both times so far. Of course, the Angus association, in its infinite wisdom wouldn't allow the first heifer to be registered so it is a commercial heifer now. As far as not reaching her potential, she is a pretty valuable animal to me. :)

mnmtranching":3ilfeaoi said:

Not necessarily. If the owner is willing to take the time to supplement the calf with a bottle, and separate the heifer in order to feed her better, both calf and heifer have a chance of reaching their potential. Yes, it will be costly - but it can be done, and could very well pay off in the long run.

Latest posts