2 year old bull

Help Support CattleToday:

cfpinz":1fb9799y said:
MikeC":1fb9799y said:
cowboyup216":1fb9799y said:
salemhigh":1fb9799y said:
Cant tell what the calves would be like by just looking at a picture,just ultra sound several yearlings and the worst put together animals sometime had the largest ribeye,and marbled very well . had several bulls myself that i was not proud of but were good producers and sired good calves.

I beg to differ. If they arent good bulls the calves wont be good even if the momas are top notch genetics. You thought they were good but did anyone else?

Now how can you sit there and disagree with a man and his personal experiences?

He said "Largest Ribeye" and "Marbled Very Well". I suppose you think you can look at an animal and predict those traits?

Mike - I'm sure that will be covered in his up and coming book: Everything You Never Wanted To Know About Your Cattle, written by TTCLM.

cfpinz

I'll be sure and look for it! :lol: ;-)

cfpinz":ffu10yqc said:
MikeC":ffu10yqc said:
cowboyup216":ffu10yqc said:
salemhigh":ffu10yqc said:
Cant tell what the calves would be like by just looking at a picture,just ultra sound several yearlings and the worst put together animals sometime had the largest ribeye,and marbled very well . had several bulls myself that i was not proud of but were good producers and sired good calves.

I beg to differ. If they arent good bulls the calves wont be good even if the momas are top notch genetics. You thought they were good but did anyone else?

He said "Largest Ribeye" and "Marbled Very Well". I suppose you think you can look at an animal and predict those traits?

Mike - I'm sure that will be covered in his up and coming book: Everything You Never Wanted To Know About Your Cattle, written by TTCLM.

cfpinz
:lol:

This is not a pretty bull. But what do you suppose he would look like with a good shot of Ivermectin and put on a good ration for a few months. Just to see his potential. :?:

Haymaker - what Doc is saying is that this bull is extremely "hard-doing" looking. So if his daughters turn out like him (most will), they will melt away when they start nursing a calf & will be hard to get bred back on grass.
It may be the picture, but his "stance" is very typical of a post legged animal (stretched) and he "appears" to be very post legged, which is a structural defect that you don't want to propagate in your herd.
On the plus side, he is extremely long, which is a great asset.

My guess is that his dam sucked the good out of OCC Great Plains.

He's not long, he's shallow-it makes him look long. Look between the front and back legs on the ground. There isn't any more there than with any other bull.

Don't look at the bull to see length, look at the ground between his front and back legs.

Badlands

I would like too see him thicker, with more muscle expression, he looks like he might be weak topped, and I could stand to see him deeper ribbed; but he is not THAT bad a bull. I think he will never be a looker but he should look a lot better with more age and groceries.

A high plane of nutrition can make the worst of the worst look good.

If you don't believe it, try taking a thin, but good blooded animal to a sale.

I still cannot see how all the neg. from the one picture, how can you tell, nothing to compare to.. The bull could weight 1500 or 2000 lbs I can not tell.. I say if he weight 2000 lbs at 2 yrs old he would be a monster....How about everyone whom comments pro/con post a picture of their Bulls...

alftn":3g8wx2uy said:
I still cannot see how all the neg. from the one picture, how can you tell, nothing to compare to.. The bull could weight 1500 or 2000 lbs I can not tell.. I say if he weight 2000 lbs at 2 yrs old he would be a monster....How about everyone whom comments pro/con post a picture of their Bulls...

Hey! I've challenged them before. If I remember correctly 4 posted pics. :lol: :lol: :lol:

mnmtranching":2sds5tw2 said:
alftn":2sds5tw2 said:

Hey! I've challenged them before. If I remember correctly 4 posted pics. :lol: :lol: :lol:

These guys that are always full of criticism, will dish it out. But just don't have the be nice to take it. ;-) :cboy:

alftn":1xolszdh said:

Well, I have to say that I would only use that bull under extreme duress. He is long, BUT, he is shallow, his stance makes me wonder about his legs, he has no hip. In short, if I had no other option I would use him, but that would be the only reason. Here are a couple of our 2 year old black bulls. Granted they are in a bit better condition, but still...

2146Pb.jpg

2046Pa.jpg

Like you black bulls...Did not mean anything, just wanted to see more bulls...Especially from people that thought that one was so bad...Theirs would have to be great...

cfpinz":237jio0l said:
MikeC":237jio0l said:
cowboyup216":237jio0l said:
salemhigh":237jio0l said:

cfpinz
Will that be written on a roll of Charmin?

alftn":1kwrlukn said:
Like you black bulls...Did not mean anything, just wanted to see more bulls...Especially from people that thought that one was so bad...Theirs would have to be great...

I do know what you were getting at. Just figured I would post those 2 for comparison.

Macho at 3 years old:
Macho_3_yrs_winter.jpg

Macho at little under 2
Macho_7A_pixel.JPG

But, you don't have to own a "good" one, to be able to analyze an animal. Granted, some people can't see the difference between a good one, bad one or a great one.
This bull posted is far from being awful, but mainly I question his structural soundness, and that's a major issue.

Latest posts