2 week old calf lethargic and weak

Help Support CattleToday:

BAR_R

Reaction score
I try to do more reading than posting but I have been off line for a while and just too busy, What I have is a Angus/Maine bull calf. It was pulled out of a heifer about 84 LB but very vigorous at birth out of a maine (non show) heifer. She had a full up uterine prolapse that I called the vet to fix. That was a little over 2 weeks ago. Today I am rebeding the calves side of the shed ( hog panels with a doggy door for the calves only, about 14x14) and I see this bull calf not moving when I crawl in. I have to lift it up and it is wobbly and lethargic. It has a temp of 101.8. I gave it 1.5cc Zuprevo and 1.5 of Banamine as well as 2 quarts of electrolytes about 3 hours ago. It kicks at its belly and kinda just seems like it wants to lay over and die. It was fine yesterday or at least not like this. We had to get its mother in the shoot and check her because it smelled/looked like she has an infection in utero. The vet said it was minor and gave us a shot of Exceed to follow up the shot he gave her. I wonder if mom might not be milking that good because of her trauma?

Is there something else I should be doing? I have a second round of AIs going right now in the barn/shop so I don't have room to get the pair in, but the calf has straw and a wind break inside the shed. The butt does not look like it is scouring and it did not have a temp... any ideas?

Colicky calf... scours, abomasal bloat, purplegut (clostridium perfringens/enterotoxemia), intussception, intestinal volvulus... first option he'll break with diarrhea tomorrow, second two he may or may not be alive tomorrow (penicillin and C&D antitoxin would be your best options here), last two he needs surgery or will be dead tomorrow or the next day. There might be a few more differentials but those are the most likely. Depending on what he's worth to you, I know it's Sunday but this'd be worthy of an emergency call.

Latest posts