2 stocker seasons?

Help Support CattleToday:

Central Fl Cracker

Reaction score
Assuming good pasture and plenty of hay. Also assuming buying @ 500 lb. steers and selling at + or - 800 lbs.

Could you buy in August and sell them in March. Then buy again buy in March and sell them in August. For ease of gains figure using an average of 1.2 lbs per day gain during winter months.
Then buying in March and figuring a gain of a avg. of 1.9 lbs gain during spring and late summer.

I always figured that if I'm feeding hay I have to many. IMO I would stay away from feeding them anything but some supplement. The nice thing about stockers is that you can adjust how many you have at any time though out the year. Heavy stocking during the lush times and very light stocking during the hard times.

Tod Dague":2it7r965 said:
I always figured that if I'm feeding hay I have to many.

hay is much cheaper than land for many.

$3000/acre makes it hard to own any land for farming.

Central Fl Cracker":3ibtccjy said:
Assuming good pasture and plenty of hay. Also assuming buying @ 500 lb. steers and selling at + or - 800 lbs.

Could you buy in August and sell them in March. Then buy again buy in March and sell them in August. For ease of gains figure using an average of 1.2 lbs per day gain during winter months.
Then buying in March and figuring a gain of a avg. of 1.9 lbs gain during spring and late summer.

I don't know about trends in your area, but up here people tend to buy weaning calves in the fall, feed them over the winter and then sell in the spring so the prices tend to not be as good as they might be another time of year due to the number of calves being sold.

You did not mention what type of forage the stockers would be on. From my experience, your gains are backward. Summer gains are about 1 lb per day on bermuda or bahia, buy you could get over 2 lbs a day on ryegrass in the winter.

Up here wintering calves on full mixed alfalfa/grass hay, and about 6 to 8 pounds 14 % feed with vit and min works good. We feed 2 to 4 months depending on the market, and feed costs.

mnmt

Aero":1tt2vlzi said:
Tod Dague":1tt2vlzi said:
I always figured that if I'm feeding hay I have to many.

hay is much cheaper than land for many.

$3000/acre makes it hard to own any land for farming.
He already owns his land and if he wants more I suggest leasing. When margins are wide you can make money feeding the calves but when they get tight you can lose your butt. Better to learn how to graze them while the margins are wide so you know what you are doing when things get tight.