2 reg beefmaster herds

Help Support CattleToday:

bigbull338

Reaction score
ok guys an gals heres a what would you do q if you could.come spring im going to buy a few more reg beefmaster cows.well the truth is im gonna blow the tractor money on cows.i know they wont have the cows when im ready to buy an thats ok.both herds are owned by the same man.herd 1 20 reg cows 4 to 12.bred to calve in the spring for $17,000 or $850 a hd.now id cull the 12yr old cows.herd 2 25 cows 1 bull an 3 calves.theres 3 grade cows in this bunch an the bull is 5yrs old.he wants $25,000 for this bunch or $960 a hd.now id cull the grade cows an bull.put both herds in the same deal an hope theres 35hd.an then offer $900 a hd or $31,500.wich would be $5000 to $10,000 over budget.throw your thoughts an ideas out on these 2 herds.

even then it would still be a good deal if i could work things out.but as said they will most likely be gone for i do anything.

As I recall your motivation for wanting more cows is because the tractor and facilities you have now are woefully inadequate to take care of the ones you already have and you are "losing them left and right." Why would you be considering buying more cows instead of buying better equiptment or selling the ones you have left? @

Re: Hardships of winter on cattle
by bigbull338 on Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:27 am

if yall think winter isnt hard on cof them 24/7.an feeding them grain everyday.theres no solid gound to hay on. cattle think again.between the rain snow an mudd or cows dont stand a chance.an we have hay in front the cows an calves are bogging down in the mudd.we started out with over 100hd this winter.an we are loosing cattle left an right due to bogging down in the mudd.an my bro works 3hrs or more a day tending to the cows.we have hay that we cant get to.but we have a friensd get emm with his 4x4 tractor.personally ive lost 3 reg cows.was going to buy a new tractor this year.but thats blown out of the water.now ill be buying a bunch of reg replacement cows come spring.

this winters probs has nothing todo with the way we take care of the cattle.its all the mudd an cold causing the probs.talked to 2 neighbors tonite.an they to are loosing cows.1 has lost 6hd so far.the other has lost 2 so far.plus every1 is feeding double the hay we usually feed.an us an the same said neighbors will be out of hay in a month or so.

There are a lot of strong opinions posted here about the "dollars & sense" of matching the cows to your environment. How about matching your resources and management ability to the cows! @

whoa some1 is questioning anothers management abilitys.an yes i know i cant spell worth a darn.ive been in the cattle buisness all my life.so i know how to manage cows.its not easy feeding cows that do not know what a feed sack is.you need a lesson in hard knocks.ive seen alot of people sellout on this board when things get tough.but weve never sold out.even when we went through a 3yr drought.id love to see people like you deal with this mess.got the tractor stuck yesterday going in to get hay.had to go get some1 with a 4x4 to pull it outhave you ever seen cows plow up 20acs.well i have an its not pretty.plus its so wet you cant drive into our other pastures without sticking the tractor.

bigbull338":hw31lhke said:
ok guys an gals heres a what would you do q if you could.come spring im going to buy a few more reg beefmaster cows.well the truth is im gonna blow the tractor money on cows.i know they wont have the cows when im ready to buy an thats ok.both herds are owned by the same man.herd 1 20 reg cows 4 to 12.bred to calve in the spring for $17,000 or $850 a hd.now id cull the 12yr old cows.herd 2 25 cows 1 bull an 3 calves.theres 3 grade cows in this bunch an the bull is 5yrs old.he wants $25,000 for this bunch or $960 a hd.now id cull the grade cows an bull.put both herds in the same deal an hope theres 35hd.an then offer $900 a hd or $31,500.wich would be $5000 to $10,000 over budget.throw your thoughts an ideas out on these 2 herds.

1. How many over 8 year olds and in what body condition? What will they give you at slaughter each?
2. The other herd of 25 -- are they spring bred as well? ...and the 3 calves are probably with the grade cows?
3. What is the age range of the other 25?
4. Are they "safe in calf" and do you trust that they are -- or can you have this verified and alter the offer if the cow is open?
5. If you're going to cull some and take slaughter (assuming they're open and currently without calf) why not cut them from the deal and offer to take them to market for him?
6. Have you walked the heard and know which animals would likely perform with their ages?
7. If registered, is he offering a calving record or calving history with each animal for you?
8. Any health history coming with each animal?

...a lot of things to 2nd guess yourself on here -- better yet, who would your competition be to pick the herd up -- or are you in the better position to negotiate?

Let us know what you decide.

DavisBeefmasters":oeymb6ru said:
bigbull338":oeymb6ru said:

1. How many over 8 year olds and in what body condition? What will they give you at slaughter each?
2. The other herd of 25 -- are they spring bred as well? ...and the 3 calves are probably with the grade cows?
3. What is the age range of the other 25?
4. Are they "safe in calf" and do you trust that they are -- or can you have this verified and alter the offer if the cow is open?
5. If you're going to cull some and take slaughter (assuming they're open and currently without calf) why not cut them from the deal and offer to take them to market for him?
6. Have you walked the heard and know which animals would likely perform with their ages?
7. If registered, is he offering a calving record or calving history with each animal for you?
8. Any health history coming with each animal?

...a lot of things to 2nd guess yourself on here -- better yet, who would your competition be to pick the herd up -- or are you in the better position to negotiate?

Let us know what you decide.
1.i just saw the herds an they got my juices flowing.i wont be buying either herd.
2.both herds owned by the same man.an they both are spring calvers.so he says.
3 they are 4yr to 11yr olds.
4.yes
5.if bought they would be culled off before loading.
6.no its a long drive to look at the herd.
7.yes they reg.an yes if i was buying id want to see their records.
8.i dont know the health of the cattle off hand.

i just knew this herd sounded like it fitt what i was looking for if i could buy cows now.

BB I would NOT do a package deal unless I really, really liked the herd . I would negotiate on each animal I am interested in . Make sure they are bred (guaranteed by a vet) before you buy and that the open heifers are guaranteed breeders. Also you need all health records.

I would buy a few gals I like and build from there, take your old tractor and trade it in for a 4wd, nothing fancy but one that is in good condition, and also reseed and work that pasture that the wet and mud and cattle have destroyed. I know you hate having to rebuild again, but just think of all the fun and new challenges you will have in the next few years with buying a few head each year and choosing semen and bulls for those gals.

Good luck ..

Latest posts