2 cents...

Help Support CattleToday:

IluvABbeef

Reaction score
...for the newbies:

Forage first, then infrastructure (pens, shelter, etc.), THEN cattle.

IluvABbeef":7z0ev4md said:
...for the newbies:

What's wrong with just tying a rope around the neck and the other end to a tire or two? Let her go in the neighborhood.

Alan

IluvABbeef":3mdvsscd said:
...for the newbies:

So you can get all this without $? Wow sign me up! :lol:

Alan: nothing wrong with that, but what if some of them don't have the know how of to rope a calf? THEN that's singing a different tune.

tnc: Money is pretty much everything. And I never said that you don't have to have money to start a cattle operation...

IluvABbeef":2pntrcc4 said:
Alan: nothing wrong with that, but what if some of them don't have the know how of to rope a calf? THEN that's singing a different tune.

tnc: Money is pretty much everything. And I never said that you don't have to have money to start a cattle operation...

I was obviously joking :roll:

What's wrong with just tying a rope around the neck and the other end to a tire or two? Let her go in the neighborhood.

Alan[/quote]

thats what cow bells are for!

IluvABbeef":3phjm0gw said:

;-) You tie the rope on them before you let them out of the trailer.

tncattle":1qm06paa said:
IluvABbeef":1qm06paa said:

I was obviously joking :roll:

All right, all right, sorry 'bout that...guess I took you a little too seriously.

what about the assemblage of the truck and trailer required to deliver the cows you purchase with money? without the sun, none of this would possible.

IluvABbeef":177b43ej said:
...for the newbies:

Thanks for your 2 cents. Can I give you back some change? I would think there's a bit more to cattle than just baling some hay, building a pen and buying a cow. Of course, that's just MY 2 cents.

Thanks for your 2 cents. Can I give you back some change? I would think there's a bit more to cattle than just baling some hay, building a pen and buying a cow. Of course, that's just MY 2 cents.

yeah.....very true

Either it's just me, or you guys are a little hard on me here.. :roll:

Anyways, my point was this: I know that there is a bit more to starting with cattle than what TNTcattle said, but BASICALLY, the forage first, then infrastucture, then cattle thing, that's what a body would have to keep in mind WHEN he/she starts up.

But maybe I should've started with get your money, markets, land and machinery organized first before starting with those three. Now how does THAT sound?

Karin,

I wouldn't worry too much about the criticism you got on your two cents if I were you. Remember with the exchange rate my two cents are worth a lot less than yours ;-)

If more newbies did things in the order you've suggested a lot of the crisis questions asked on this board needn't have been asked. All I can add is that first do some studying on the planned project then the forage, infrastructure and the cattle will be better planned.

IluvABbeef":1krrsnhi said:
Either it's just me, or you guys are a little hard on me here.. :roll:

Anyways, my point was this: I know that there is a bit more to starting with cattle than what TNTcattle said, but BASICALLY, the forage first, then infrastucture, then cattle thing, that's what a body would have to keep in mind WHEN he/she starts up.

But maybe I should've started with get your money, markets, land and machinery organized first before starting with those three. Now how does THAT sound?
You forgot rain

IluvABbeef":3o1lt92a said:
...for the newbies:

You would be suprised at how many people try and do it backwards. I'm suprise at how many people never got the grass after they have been doing it most of their life. It seems they think they are suposed to feed hay year round.

Perhaps alot of folks do not know just how much mankind owes to a layer of topsoil and the fact that it rains every so often.

Alot of excellent posts have made over the months regarding "getting started"...and is still good reading for young and old alike.

Dmc

Beefy":37xbasuz said:
what about the assemblage of the truck and trailer required to deliver the cows you purchase with money? without the sun, none of this would possible.

Beefy--If the sun goes out of business I figure there's a killing to be made in mushrooms.

novatech":10d304fl said:
IluvABbeef":10d304fl said:
...for the newbies:

You would be suprised at how many people try and do it backwards. I'm suprise at how many people never got the grass after they have been doing it most of their life. It seems they think they are suposed to feed hay year round.

Well, that makes me glad I posted this when I did... :nod:

Latest posts