2 cents...

Help Support CattleToday:

IluvABbeef":217hr354 said:
Either it's just me, or you guys are a little hard on me here

I will apologize for possibly coming across as hard. That wasnt my intention. I do realize that there are a large number of "newbies" that start out backward and upside down.....but that's not ALL of us.

I had been around cattle when I was young but wasnt that interested at the time. A few years ago, I decided I wanted to get started out in cattle. I researched for nearly a year before I ever bought a cow. I did my homework. I talked to ranchers/farmers and anyone else I could find that knew anything about cattle. I spent time at the salebarn watching cattle, spoke to ranchers there about how to spot a decent cow/calf....what to look for. I also spent time talking with our local vet about vaccinations, worming, castration, dehorning, etc. Researched online and bought enough livestock books to start a small library. We did some needed work on the fencing, corral, shelter, bought grass hay and alfalfa....all BEFORE we got cattle.

I guess my point was that not all "newbies" get started wrong. Some of us "get it" right. I'm still a "newbie", learning something new everyday.

Again, sorry if I came across harsh. I wasnt thrilled about being classified with "newbies" like......Okay I just bought a cow. Now what do I feed it? :roll:

TNTLivestock":3674pwhp said:
IluvABbeef":3674pwhp said:
Either it's just me, or you guys are a little hard on me here

I will apologize for possibly coming across as hard. That wasnt my intention. I do realize that there are a large number of "newbies" that start out backward and upside down.....but that's not ALL of us.

I had been around cattle when I was young but wasnt that interested at the time. A few years ago, I decided I wanted to get started out in cattle. I researched for nearly a year before I ever bought a cow. I did my homework. I talked to ranchers/farmers and anyone else I could find that knew anything about cattle. I spent time at the salebarn watching cattle, spoke to ranchers there about how to spot a decent cow/calf....what to look for. I also spent time talking with our local vet about vaccinations, worming, castration, dehorning, etc. Researched online and bought enough livestock books to start a small library. We did some needed work on the fencing, corral, shelter, bought grass hay and alfalfa....all BEFORE we got cattle.

I guess my point was that not all "newbies" get started wrong. Some of us "get it" right. I'm still a "newbie", learning something new everyday.

Again, sorry if I came across harsh. I wasnt thrilled about being classified with "newbies" like......Okay I just bought a cow. Now what do I feed it? :roll:

Apology accepted. :) I had an idea that some of the newbies did have an idea of what to start first like you, but, of course, there's always the other newbies...

IluvABbeef":1cqbecig said:
had an idea that some of the newbies did have an idea of what to start first like you, but, of course, there's always the other newbies...

Too often someone will post a question like, my pet cow won;t eat the weeds I'm feeding him, or my pet cow is laying on it''s back with all 4 feet in the air, is that normal. They got a cow/horse/goat/donkey/whatever because it looked cute and don;t have the first notion of what they eat, or for that matter that when the groceries comew out the back they're messy.

dun

dun":10su66ex said:
IluvABbeef":10su66ex said:
had an idea that some of the newbies did have an idea of what to start first like you, but, of course, there's always the other newbies...

Too often someone will post a question like, my pet cow won;t eat the weeds I'm feeding him, or my pet cow is laying on it''s back with all 4 feet in the air, is that normal. They got a cow/horse/goat/donkey/whatever because it looked cute and don;t have the first notion of what they eat, or for that matter that when the groceries comew out the back they're messy.

dun

Yeah, I can agree with that one...me an' a lot of other folks on here...

Latest posts