19month old heifer

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

i have a 19 month old heifer who (as far as i can tell) has not come in heat. is this normal? i raised her on a bottle along with a bull. they have been together since they were a couple of weeks old. someone told me one time that if they were raised together they wouldn't breed. any truth to this? should i be concerned that she may be sterile? any advice will be appreciated.
<br>
<br><hr size=4 width=75%><p>


[email protected]
 
OP
A

Anonymous

It is not true about the being raised togehter and not breeding. If they were born together as twins it is most likely the female is sterile. A freemartin is what she would be called if this is the case. <p>At nineteen months old she should be breed. There are lots of other factors to concider too. Maybe the bull is sterile, plus there are numerous diseases associated with breeding that could inhibit her from breeding or cause abortions at any stage of gestation. <p>Hope this helped a little.
<br>
<br><hr size=4 width=75%><p>


[email protected]
 
OP
A

Anonymous

Have you had her preg-checked? Maybe you missed seeing her in heat once and she got bred. Have the vet check her out. He will be able to tell you if she is bred or if she is a non-breeder.
<br>
<br><hr size=4 width=75%><p>
 
OP
A

Anonymous

(User Above)":1b73mu5w said:
: Hello, I would not think that a bull would not breed a heifer he was raised with, mine do<br>Your best bet is to get a vet to look at the repro tract with an ultasound to see<br>if the ovariess are active and have any CL's present<br>then try using and ssyncronization method such as a CIDR or syncromate B<br>thiss should help jumpstart her system<p>Good Luck<br>
<br>
<br><hr size=4 width=75%><p>


[email protected]
 
OP
A

Anonymous

Thanks for the info. i've not seen the two "together" haha, but i've seen him attempt and she played hard to get. we did have another bull break into our pasture back in august, but it was only for 3 or 4 hours before his owners could get him back in. i dont' think he bred my heifer, but it is possible.<br>either way, bred or not, doesn't matter. she's just a pet...and this is just a hobby for me. just wanted to get some opinions to see what you folks thought may be her problem.
<br>
<br><hr size=4 width=75%><p>
 
OP
A

Anonymous

(User Above)":20h1j8um said:
: Thanks for the info. i've not seen the two "together" haha, but i've seen him attempt and she played hard to get. we did have another bull break into our pasture back in august, but it was only for 3 or 4 hours before his owners could get him back in. i dont' think he bred my heifer, but it is possible.<br>: either way, bred or not, doesn't matter. she's just a pet...and this is just a hobby for me. just wanted to get some opinions to see what you folks thought may be her problem.<p><br>The other factor is that she may just haven't reached her cycle yet or she missed it. Also if you were keeping her separate and only putting her out there for four hours with a bull. Well I hate to tell you this but when they get into heat they usually last for a couple days. Had you checked to see if your bull been siffing at her alot?? Had he been following her?? Bulls knows which one is bred and which aren't by their sense of smell. You gotta keep your heifer with a bull. What you need is a "heifer" bull which means HE will help her get bred. He will show her how to get her into love. Well, GOODLUCK!!! Hope you have a cute calf!!!!!! On one footnote to add she could have already been bred you just haven't seen it been done. <br>
<br>
<br><hr size=4 width=75%><p>


[email protected]
 
OP
A

Anonymous

Hay there Tim! I would definitely have her preg checked. Most mounting action takes place around dawn and dusk, so it could have been easily missed if you weren't looking for it. I'm thinking it's better to know and be prepared. We lost our very first calf because we didn't have an accurate calving date. She was bought bred, due in early March and didn't calve till late May. Long story short... we weren't watching her closely enough and the calf hip-locked and died 20 minutes after it was born. Conceivably the bull could have got her on her first cycle and she caught... definitely preg-check soon is my opinion. Let us know what happens.<br>Janet
<br>
<br><hr size=4 width=75%><p>


[email protected]
 
OP
A

Anonymous

Hello Janet, long time no chat, huh? LOL<br>about how much (in general) do vets charge to do preg. checks? i'm a POOOOOOR farmer duck LOL<p>
<br>
<br><hr size=4 width=75%><p>


[email protected]
 
OP
A

Anonymous

(User Above)":na83bb9s said:
: Hay there Tim! I would definitely have her preg checked. Most mounting action takes place around dawn and dusk, so it could have been easily missed if you weren't looking for it. I'm thinking it's better to know and be prepared. We lost our very first calf because we didn't have an accurate calving date. She was bought bred, due in early March and didn't calve till late May. Long story short... we weren't watching her closely enough and the calf hip-locked and died 20 minutes after it was born. Conceivably the bull could have got her on her first cycle and she caught... definitely preg-check soon is my opinion. Let us know what happens.<br>: Janet<p>Hey Janet if you got calving problems convert to Beefalo. Beefalo got the calving abilities as a Bison which it is RARE to pull a calf out assisted. When I said rare I MEANT RARE!!!!!!!!!! That why I am choosing to convert to Beefalo. Not only that Beefalo is a MUCH healthier meat than "regular" cattle. Also I am pro for its foraging ability and heat resistence. Carcass quilities on Beefalo is great. Dressing percentage is higher than any other breed b/c it is developed on MUSCLES and have very little external and intermusclur fat!!!! All those are Great advantage of Beefalo. If you think this is a great idea here a website to get contact a friend of mine: http://www.beefaloworld.com ENJOY!!!!!!<p>
<br>
<br><hr size=4 width=75%><p>


[email protected]
 
OP
A

Anonymous

No thanks Mylum..... you couldn't give a beefalo away up here in Canada. One local guy got into them a few years bakc, couldn't sell them to save his soul and shot them all dead in the field rather than feed them anymore. If they work for you all the power to you.... but the DO NOT work for everyone.<br>Janet
<br>
<br><hr size=4 width=75%><p>


[email protected]
 
OP
A

Anonymous

Hear ya on the "poor farmer" bit! I just got a $400 vet bill! Owww. My vet only charges $5 for the actual preg-check and then the farm visit.... in my case $55 because I am well over an hour from the clinic.Just call and ask them what it'll cost ya.... it might even be cheaper than what I pay.Word of advice... if you get a vet out have everything done at once to save some money. If you need vaccinations or anything else done have them done at the same time.... one farm visit is always cheaper than 2.<br>Janet
<br>
<br><hr size=4 width=75%><p>


[email protected]
 
OP
A

Anonymous

(User Above)":2j5yoxku said:
: i have a 19 month old heifer who (as far as i can tell) has not come in heat. is this normal? i raised her on a bottle along with a bull. they have been together since they were a couple of weeks old. someone told me one time that if they were raised together they wouldn't breed. any truth to this? should i be concerned that she may be sterile? any advice will be appreciated.<p>It might depend on what breed she is. I have raised some Brangus/Simmental cross heifers and they didn't breed until they were about 24 months old. Also if she is under weight for her age that might cause late breeding. I've been told that to avoid calving problems you shouldn't breed a heifer until she reaches a certain weight, but can't remember the recommended weights for the different breeds. If you can take her to the vet to get her pregnancy checked it'll be a lot cheaper than having him come to your place. Good luck :)
<br>
<br><hr size=4 width=75%><p>


[email protected]
 
OP
A

Anonymous

good rule of thumb is 2/3 of adult body weight when bred. If she was a twin she may be sterile..sometimes that is why they must be bottle raised, because the cow will only accept one.<br>: : i have a 19 month old heifer who (as far as i can tell) has not come in heat. is this normal? i raised her on a bottle along with a bull. they have been together since they were a couple of weeks old. someone told me one time that if they were raised together they wouldn't breed. any truth to this? should i be concerned that she may be sterile? any advice will be appreciated.<p>: It might depend on what breed she is. I have raised some Brangus/Simmental cross heifers and they didn't breed until they were about 24 months old. Also if she is under weight for her age that might cause late breeding. I've been told that to avoid calving problems you shouldn't breed a heifer until she reaches a certain weight, but can't remember the recommended weights for the different breeds. If you can take her to the vet to get her pregnancy checked it'll be a lot cheaper than having him come to your place. Good luck :)<p>
<br>
<br><hr size=4 width=75%><p>


[email protected]
 
OP
A

Anonymous

You're right about that..they've tried to get beefalo going for years and no one has been able to make a profit, except perhaps some breeders who talked others into buying their breeding stock. As far as the fat and muscling, you can get longhorns and they aren't nearly as hard to deal with. At least we have a seedstock and recreational market when we can't sell em for beef<br>: No thanks Mylum..... you couldn't give a beefalo away up here in Canada. One local guy got into them a few years bakc, couldn't sell them to save his soul and shot them all dead in the field rather than feed them anymore. If they work for you all the power to you.... but the DO NOT work for everyone.<br>: Janet<p>
<br>
<ul><li><a href="http://www.totalaccess.net/~calpat/">CalPat Longhorns</a></ul>
<br><hr size=4 width=75%><p>


[email protected]
 

Latest posts

Top