190 lb newborn

Help Support CattleToday:

angus9259

Reaction score
I wouldn't have believed it. Measured him twice. Tested the scale with several people. Had to use the tractor to get him out of his first calf heifer momma. Is it really possible? I still don't believe it. She was only 2 days past her AI date. Anyone else had one that big?

My GOD! That's HUGE! If cow and calf are okay that's surely a miracle.

Largest I've had was 132 out of a Holstein x Simmental cow and a Charlois bull... a llloonnng time ago before we knew better.

I suddenly can't believe it again. Mom is on her feet and talking to baby - took her a while and a shot of bantamine to get her there. Baby's not been up yet, but he's trying and is talking back. They're registered black angus. She was AI'd to a calving ease sire! Gonna go have another look.

How the heck dod you get that out with out a c section and pulling them out with a tractor is not a good idea can casue major injuries there. Had a 130 pounder this spring that was in a cow though and she had him without problems but i think it was casued by the mom being a boss cow and getting lots of sialge and distillers grain. have several more calves weighing in the 100 pound range and the bulls are the same and so are the cows and none if them were this big last year. And on top of being huge he is the lasiest calf ever. if you try to get him up to move him or process him he will lay back down cause he doesn't want to stand and he is so heavy to carry. he can styand fine on his own and move aorund when he wants to is what ticks me off.

angus9259":3b44ujtu said:
I wouldn't have believed it. Measured him twice. Tested the scale with several people. Had to use the tractor to get him out of his first calf heifer momma. Is it really possible? I still don't believe it. She was only 2 days past her AI date. Anyone else had one that big?

This came out of an Angus? Unbelievable. How did you use a tractor? Hopefully just something to attach a small winch to? I'm amazed she didn't have paralysis at the least... Get yourself a good calf puller (any vet can find one for you, $150 +/-)...the tractor method made me really wince.

115 pounder out of a large mature cow is the biggest I've seen...2 weeks overdue and she needed help.

He is not getting up? I am sure you know this already, but make sure he gets colostrum yet tonight.
And yes ~ post pics!! Would be a crazy thing to see for sure!

I am with Michelle, I got light headed just reading it ~ ouch!

Well he's been up and appears to have been nursing. He's very alert. He knows where the teat is and how to suck. Momma's giving him a little normal first time momma grief so I'm going to leave them closed in a stall together for the day, but she's being attentive.

Didn't want to use the tractor, believe you me. I have winch puller but it wasn't doing the job. Was as slow and gentle as I could be making sure the calf was in position. No hard yanks, just real easy. Had someone else drive the tractor while I watched the calf.

Got my 120 lb daughter out of bed and made her stand on the scale with me this morning because I still don't think it can be right - but it registered us correctly.

I'll try to post a pic later today. Looks like a normal month old calf.

First of all congratulations on both of them still being alive!! :clap: That is amazing.
This is yet another report of a very unusual calving year for everyone. We have been hearing from folks all over that they are having the biggest calves they have ever had and this is from many different breeds. My brothers "heifer bull" has dropped they heaviest calves of his career and two sets of twins too this year, has us scratching our heads. One theory is that this has been such a hard winter that all the nutrition went to the calf. I don't know about that, wouldn't our Canadian friends always have monster calves then???? I do know that this has been the oddest year I have seen since my brother got me back into this fray.

dang a 190lb calf is a cow killer.lucky that you didnt have todo a C-section on her.lucky she didnt paralize.we had a C-section on a 1st calf hol heifer.because she was to small in birth canal to have the calf.an got a 130lb or bigger hol heifer out of her.an both made it fine.an she raised her calf.

:shock: Wow!! 190, that's a doozie! The biggest one I ever had was 140 lbs out of a vetran black Angus cow by a Brahma bull. Momma finally got back on her feet the next day but never really walked the same again. It took me, my 74 yo neighbor and his 10 yo grandson along with a come-a-long, strap and a truck bumper to get the calf out. It was a bull calf and he too looked like a month old calf. (he lived)

Glad your pair are doing well.

Calving ease bull, but what were his birth weigh EPD's LOL?

Katherine

Mahoney Pursley Ranch":30ete0jl said:
190 lb.calf out of purbred Angus heifer and Angus bull is hard to believe. Sure you ain't been smokin to many cow pattys :?:

The smokin's only as good as what yer feedin the cow.

Actually, I still don't believe it. After hearing the comments from the board, something should have died. I have a squeeze chute and scales on wheels and I'm going to wheel that out and try to weigh him that way tomorrow. Maybe the ol stand on the bathroom scale holding a 100+ lb wet flopping bull calf in the middle of the night weigh system just didn't work. It just can't be possible.

angus9259":8j3m3xg1 said:
Mahoney Pursley Ranch":8j3m3xg1 said:
190 lb.calf out of purbred Angus heifer and Angus bull is hard to believe. Sure you ain't been smokin to many cow pattys :?:

The smokin's only as good as what yer feedin the cow.

Actually, I still don't believe it. After hearing the comments from the board, something should have died. I have a squeeze chute and scales on wheels and I'm going to wheel that out and try to weigh him that way tomorrow. Maybe the ol stand on the bathroom scale holding a 100+ lb wet flopping bull calf in the middle of the night weigh system just didn't work. It just can't be possible.
You held and weighed a 190lb calf on a bathroom scale? :lol2:

[/quote]You held and weighed a 190lb calf on a bathroom scale? :lol2:[/quote]

Must be younger, stronger, more agile than me for sure. I'd have to pick up 190 pounds one leg at a time! :)

OUCH comes to mind.
But i have to ask the question, where was the vet? would the vet not come out if it was realized wow, big, before starting to pull? Was there no way to get it to the vet? Couldn't someone see the big hoof and think okay...we need medical help for this hiefer? Jacking a calf with a tractor, that is a new one.
Watch for re breeding issues. She might have temporary trouble or permentant trouble.

Please don't get me wrong, glad the momma and calf are ok and doing well.

RR

Latest posts