18 month old bull let me know what you think..

Help Support CattleToday:

It always interest me how so many [self proclaimed] experts on cattle, confuse condition for quality. Now if that bull was FAT, everybody would like him. It's true. Put another year on him, 500 pounds, couple better pics. I would bet, your bull would be praised. From what I can see on the pics, your bull will fill out nicely.

BARNSCOOP":i56bqlgv said:
We just got him and he does need some weight,were working on that,not sure how much he weighs.He has been with a group of bulls & just meet the girls.
Ihope by oct -dec he,ll we,ll have some weight on him.

Sorry, I posted twice.

BARNSCOOP":2jrdtvbh said:
We just got him and he does need some weight,were working on that,not sure how much he weighs.He has been with a group of bulls & just meet the girls.
Ihope by oct -dec he,ll we,ll have some weight on him.

I like him. I think he has potential. He's just 18 months. Give him about 10 to 12 months and you'll see a fine looking Bull.

I am not mad. All my calves will be terminal. I wanted a bull with low BW scores and great WW ,YW scores so that I get the least trouble as possible with calfing time and great growth until slaughter. Your comments could use a little class at delivery so that it doesn't appear that you think everyones cattle are below yours and their is no possible way someone out in cattle land could possibly top your cattle. I say this based on many of your posts not on just your words with me. I went to your web site yesterday and saw some cows that looked good , however you shouldn't call out my bull when.....well . I thought your bulls looked like average animals that had nothing special to give. Maybe the pictures aren't the best. If I had seen the site first when considering opinions yours would have been totally unreliable. Now having said that I am letting this conversation go. I don'twant to trash up this valueable site by a public fight over an animal.
To answer the questions on the pedigree of this bull, The previous owner has sent his reg. papers in to be transfered over to my name. Names don't mean alot to me in the Angus world because I am new to this so I can't quote a sire. I will try to contact him today and get names and the numbers again( I have lost the paper I had them written on) and I will post what I can get my hands on. Sincere thanks

While I hate to critisize anyone's animal, and not a big fan of Angus to start with, I would have to say, that he does have a very feminine look to him.

As Doc pointed out, he does lack heart girth, and his scrotum could be better.

I would however like to see him in another 6 mos.

Fascinating.

I don't like him - too feminine and not enough depth. I agreed with a number of the harsher comments re: this bull though not the way they were all said.

Doc thinks he's good - Doc's certainly knowledgeable - moreso than I am. Makes me look back at him and see what I missed. I don't see it. Could Doc be wrong? More likely I am . . . that concerns me since I raise these and would probably have castrated that lad.

There were significantly more positive posts AFTER Doc commented than before. Interesting. People afraid to speak till someone agreed with them or was their opinion changed as I attempted to change mine? Maybe neither.

Just an interesting practice of posting bulls . . . so many viewers looking for so many different things in so many different ways and the person requesting feedback 9 times out of 10 has already bought the bull . . .

Interesting.

angus9259":28ptirxm said:
Fascinating.

I don't like him - too feminine and not enough depth. I agreed with a number of the harsher comments re: this bull though not the way they were all said.

Doc thinks he's good - Doc's certainly knowledgeable - moreso than I am. Makes me look back at him and see what I missed. I don't see it. Could Doc be wrong? More likely I am . . . that concerns me since I raise these and would probably have castrated that lad.

There were significantly more positive posts AFTER Doc commented than before. Interesting. People afraid to speak till someone agreed with them or was their opinion changed as I attempted to change mine? Maybe neither.

Just an interesting practice of posting bulls . . . so many viewers looking for so many different things in so many different ways and the person requesting feedback 9 times out of 10 has already bought the bull . . .

Interesting.
angus9259-

In reading your post on this thread, I think that you are crediting me with a lot more knowledge than is justified. You asked if Doc couId be wrong! You bet your life I can be wrong! I was wrong once in a Chemistry class when I mixed the wrong stuff together and the Instructor ended up with black goop on his white shirt and new Paisley tie!! :lol2: :lol2: NOT funny! :dunce:

You also said that Doc thinks he's good. I did NOT say that I thought the bull was good - I said that I thought he was a more desirable bull than he presents here in these pictures, and I still highly criticize his being pinched in the heart girth - for the reasons mentioned previously. But, circumstances alter cases, as has been proven many times in the past, and the drought conditions in this country lately certainly have altered many plans, hopes and dreams. The old saying that is posted on gymnasium walls around the country that states "When The Going Gets Tough - The Tough Get Going!" certainly speaks for our Agricultural situation today.

No bull or cow is perfect, and this bull is no exception, but he is not as bad as a lot of them which have been "pictured" on these pages in the last several years. The important factor which I think we must take from this discussion is, - - Don't jump to conclusions! Peruse and analyze ALL contingencies and relating factors BEFORE making a momentous decision - such as selecting a herd bull which will affect your future income for years. I don't like this bull well enough to pin the future of my business on him ALONE, but I do still think that he is more creditable than I previously thought.

(I still don't like bulls with pinched heart girths!)

DOC HARRIS

One thing about him he is what he is because he got there on his on, he is not made by a feed bucket. If they got to have a bushel basket of feed in front of them every day i don't need that kind.

Quote All my calves will be terminal

He is not a bull I would use,but I think alot of folks would have liked him if he was feed hard.I also think that if you took his calves all to the sale barn they could sell near the top if they are out of half decent cows.So he should serve his purpose and when it's time to keep replacements maybe find a little different kind of bull.

Latest posts