1780lb bull

Help Support CattleToday:

denvermartinfarms

Reaction score
A 1780lb killer bull brought 1.30cwt here last night, anyone here seen one higher? When it sold we all wondered if when the owner gets the check are they gonna think it was a mistake.

Most if ours here are in the upper teens, this one was as good as they get and the buyers were trying to be a little a little funny, but never the less it did bring 1.30 and it's on the report, good times were having!

I can see that price maybe. Who ever bought the bull had him sold, probably within the next few days. You guy's that are buying 300-350lbs. calves and holding them at $2.50lb. now that's a risk. The market is strong and we all hope it holds. I guess that size calf must not get sick and die, you sure can't lose many and come out in front.

highgrit":25bn0fha said:
I can see that price maybe. Who ever bought the bull had him sold, probably within the next few days. You guy's that are buying 300-350lbs. calves and holding them at $2.50lb. now that's a risk. The market is strong and we all hope it holds. I guess that size calf must not get sick and die, you sure can't lose many and come out in front.
Yep, the bull got on a truck and went to one of the big packing houses in NE. And your right about the 2.50cwt 400lb calves, I won't do it. I've almost quit buying calves to feed and put that money into cows and other ends of the cattle business.

wacocowboy":1c3n1p78 said:
I seen a 2080lb char bull bring 1.11 that's the best I have seen but ain't been to the sale in a month been busy
Now you would probably see that same bull at 1.15cwt or better.

denvermartinfarms":2lwuaz94 said:
wacocowboy":2lwuaz94 said:
I seen a 2080lb char bull bring 1.11 that's the best I have seen but ain't been to the sale in a month been busy
I hope not. That would only be a $23.92 check....minus commission.
:wave:

greybeard":fu6jyoek said:
denvermartinfarms":fu6jyoek said:
wacocowboy":fu6jyoek said:
:wave:
I don't get it, what did I say wrong? 1.15cwt 2080lb bull=2392$, that's what I said aint it?

greybeard wrote:
denvermartinfarms wrote:
wacocowboy wrote:

I don't get it, what did I say wrong? 1.15cwt 2080lb bull=2392$, that's what I said aint it?

He's just yanking your chain, but it really should be $115/cwt, or $1.15/lb.

At least you know now that people pay attention to what you type.
:D
I was afraid the bottom had fell plumb out of the market and I was the last to find out. :lol2: :lol2:

Go to one of the hobby farm forums and try explaining a market report--it's like pulling teeth..

I saw an auctioneer stop one day and leaned forward and said to one of the bidders---"You do know we're selling by the pound now and not by the calf?"
The bidder looked at his wife, she said something in Spanish to him and he never made another bid the whole afternoon.

I don't get it, what did I say wrong? 1.15cwt 2080lb bull=2392$, that's what I said aint it?[/quote]

$2392 is a nice pay for an old bull I remember when you use to get .50 a lb

i read our sale reports last week.an weigh bulls was bringing up to $1.25 a lb while weigh cows was bringing up to $1.05 a lb.so yes the market is crazy high right now.an i dont see the prices backing off with the major shortage of cattle that we have right now.

wacocowboy":w3td2afd said:

$2392 is a nice pay for an old bull I remember when you use to get .50 a lb[/quote]

You said 1.15 CWT...you meant 1.15 lb. not 100 lbs.

highgrit":38p3tfnr said:

Our business is those size calves, I've never paid more than 1.90/lb where I buy from.

Calhoun Farm":t8wwro2v said:
highgrit":t8wwro2v said:

Our business is those size calves, I've never paid more than 1.90/lb where I buy from.
Location is a funny thing. $250/cwt. wouldn't buy any #1 300lbs. steers out here right now. Would be competitive on heifers but wouldn't get anywhere near all of them.

Latest posts