15 Bottle Calves

Help Support CattleToday:

denvermartinfarms":e892uxgl said:
GotMyHandsFull":e892uxgl said:
Started construction on 25 pens yesterday behind the barn. Each pen is 10 x 12 with an elevated 4-foot section at the rear that is covered and walled on three sides. The elevated section sits 8 inches off the ground to keep water out. The pens are adjacent to a working area of the barn that has hot water, refrigeration and two large farm sinks.
Sounds like you know what your doing, that will work well. How big are you going to let these calves get?

After they're properly weaned and castrated, I'd like to feed them until spring and then carry them on my pastures through the summer. Ideally, I'd like to sell them at 550-650 pounds.

GotMyHandsFull":2ulp4j5m said:
denvermartinfarms":2ulp4j5m said:
GotMyHandsFull":2ulp4j5m said:
Started construction on 25 pens yesterday behind the barn. Each pen is 10 x 12 with an elevated 4-foot section at the rear that is covered and walled on three sides. The elevated section sits 8 inches off the ground to keep water out. The pens are adjacent to a working area of the barn that has hot water, refrigeration and two large farm sinks.
Sounds like you know what your doing, that will work well. How big are you going to let these calves get?

After they're properly weaned and castrated, I'd like to feed them until spring and then carry them on my pastures through the summer. Ideally, I'd like to sell them at 550-650 pounds.
Yes, 500 to 600lbs would be what I would do if it was me. Be keeping them 6 months after weaning that way.

You may want to check some sales out. You may get discounted by having too much frame on them if they are on pasture. Around here it seems buyers prefer 300-350 pound calf fed steins.

ChrisB":sygec6i9 said:
You may want to check some sales out. You may get discounted by having too much frame on them if they are on pasture. Around here it seems buyers prefer 300-350 pound calf fed steins.

....Because that's the size they go into the feedlot. Too much bigger and they won't fit a group. It does depend on your area though as there are certain yards that want them at 600lbs. Best to know what your area is buying.

One other thing I would suggest would be to have a clear understanding about how long this will last at 150 per calf and 15 or so every 60 days. Sounds like your understanding is that this will continue at this rate and this price for a considerable amount of time and you can make money on the deal for quite some time. It sounds like he would be expecting you to take the calves at this rate and this price for quite some time, also. However, what if you tried a group and it did not work out? Would he still expect you to keep taking the calves at that price? What if you took a group and it went great and he decided next group would be 200 dollars because he had underpriced the calves. What if he decided it would be better if you picked them up at 3 days old instead of 2 weeks old after a couple of groups. My suggestion is that you both have a clear (and written) understanding of how long this is to go on before there is an opportunity for adjustment from one or the other of you in either price or number and what would be the earliest one of you could end the agreement. I know I am talking about alot of "ifs", but things do happen and without a clear understanding or contract, confusion or greed could come into the picture when unexpected. Also, you are putting money and time into preparing for this to work for you. It would be a shame to go to all that work and then find out it only lasts for one or two groups.

$150 a head is a steal. if they are good they are worth $375 here. 1 bag milk replacer will wean 1 calf. DONT feed more than 4 pints a calf a feeding. feed 2 times a day. feed 2 bags of calf starter and then switch them to your weaned ration. you will have to feed them grain on pasture or else they won't sell good with all the frame. we like to sell them at 375 to 450 but that's what they want here. maybe different in your area.

GotMyHandsFull":3sqpabqj said:
Just looking to introduce another revenue stream for the farm without having to buy brood cows. I would like to get them in, make sure they get their shots, feed them well, castrate (by clamping) at about 2 months old and sell them as feeders at 550-600 pounds.

Its a nice dream, but I have been raising calves for 20 plus years, and raising bulls is something you think you can make money on, until the price tanks, or they get sick, and its expensive to raise them up to 550#-I am trying to raise mine up this year-last year I sold all my bulls-but I think selling them at 300-400# is more ideal-less money into them-and more price per pound-

redsimangus":xmjmgl4a said:
$150 a head is a steal. if they are good they are worth $375 here. 1 bag milk replacer will wean 1 calf. DONT feed more than 4 pints a calf a feeding. feed 2 times a day. feed 2 bags of calf starter and then switch them to your weaned ration. you will have to feed them grain on pasture or else they won't sell good with all the frame. we like to sell them at 375 to 450 but that's what they want here. maybe different in your area.

She could just buy them as re-sell them for $200-$250 per head around here that is what they are bringing

Latest posts