14 month old steer with rectal prolapse and general weakness

Help Support CattleToday:

catfish000062

Reaction score
I have a 14 month old steer who I found in a laying position Saturday morning. It tries to stand but is simply unable. Tonight while cleaning underneath and around him i found that his rectum had prolapsed and is beginning to have yellowish fluid like fecal matter as well as gastric distension. His younger sister showed symptoms of general weakness, however her symptoms were unable to advance because she was severely injured by a predator and was put down. I have a feeling it's genetic but I want to be sure because both of them are in a herd of others. I have pictures but this board isn't letting me load them.

Genetics are way down the list.

The most common things happen most often.
Body condition score? Is this calf malnourished? You've volunteered info that this calf and its year-younger sibling were both weak, to the point of being preyed upon...are they (and others in the herd) getting enough quality feed for their age, stage of production, and current environmental conditions?
Parasitism? 'Worms' rarely kill adult animals, but can hit youngstock pretty hard; coccidiosis can be a killer.
Beyond this, you're starting to chase zebras.

Latest posts