14% Feed

Help Support CattleToday:

Pointer1160

Reaction score
I have been using Country Acres Ranch Hand 14 for my 14 month heifers. Using three lbs. of this with three lbs. of rice brand which is very cheep where I live. Also good baled hay. Wanting to breed these in about two months. In looking at Purina 4-square Stocker/Grower 14 it has 2.50% fat vs 2%, 9% fiber vs. 11%, .75% salt vs. 1.25%. The 4-Square also contains these ingredients that the Country Acres does not Cobalt Carbonate, Manganese Sulfate, Ethylenediamine Dihydrododide, ZoncSulfate, Basic Copper Chloride, Sodoum Selenite. What brand of grower do you use? Anyone use Country Acres? What do you recommend. Do you use 14% or 20% protein? Thanks for all your help.

Here that purina is expensive. The cost of one bag of purina I can buy 2 bags of Jumpstart almost.
IMG_20150107_222730_818_zps270126f8.jpg

Pointer1160":19nirik5 said:
Cost of my Country Acres $8.25
Purina 4-Square 9.50
50 lbs.

I only pay 8 bucks for my Jumpstart the price for the Purina beef grower or whatever its called is $14.99 I have never saw the Country Acres. Those prices are for 50lb bags.

Pointer1160":319tchbn said:
I have been using Country Acres Ranch Hand 14 for my 14 month heifers. Using three lbs. of this with three lbs. of rice brand which is very cheep where I live. Also good baled hay. Wanting to breed these in about two months. In looking at Purina 4-square Stocker/Grower 14 it has 2.50% fat vs 2%, 9% fiber vs. 11%, .75% salt vs. 1.25%. The 4-Square also contains these ingredients that the Country Acres does not Cobalt Carbonate, Manganese Sulfate, Ethylenediamine Dihydrododide, ZoncSulfate, Basic Copper Chloride, Sodoum Selenite. What brand of grower do you use? Anyone use Country Acres? What do you recommend. Do you use 14% or 20% protein? Thanks for all your help.
Country Acres is also made by Purina and usually distributed by TSC. You'd probably be better off to just feed straight rice bran and save some money in the process.

TexasBred":1xmi4ia0 said:
Pointer1160":1xmi4ia0 said:
Country Acres is also made by Purina and usually distributed by TSC. You'd probably be better off to just feed straight rice bran and save some money in the process.

That bad a blend huh?

TennesseeTuxedo":38l85q9b said:
TexasBred":38l85q9b said:
Pointer1160":38l85q9b said:

That bad a blend huh?

Probably...just too much variation in PMI feeds.....and rice bran is 12%Protein, 12% fat and 12% fiber consistently. Will also have a higher TDN and energy content that the PMI stuff.

Sky high tree 1. Can you or anyone else give any advice/results on feeding southern states 14% jump start. I am looking at feeding it in a backgrounding lot in the fall. I'm looking to get 450 - 550 lbs calves and keeping them around 120 days, I am looking at doing around 20 had this first go around kind of as a trial. I plan to feed free choice grass hay, and free choice minerals, as well as hand feeding a feed such as this jump start would that be a good plan.

Pointer1160":10kp64z8 said:
What do you call cheap rice bran? I live within 25 miles of several mills and for what it cost and what it offers we don't feed much of it and I haul it in bulk.

Rice bran supply has been tight but when bagged feed cost $8.25 per bag anything close to that would be the best buy and the bran will definitely be the best product.

scvfd_7241":1as0gs9r said:
Sky high tree 1. Can you or anyone else give any advice/results on feeding southern states 14% jump start. I am looking at feeding it in a backgrounding lot in the fall. I'm looking to get 450 - 550 lbs calves and keeping them around 120 days, I am looking at doing around 20 had this first go around kind of as a trial. I plan to feed free choice grass hay, and free choice minerals, as well as hand feeding a feed such as this jump start would that be a good plan.

my pencil couldn't make that work now. Maybe by fall things will look different.
I don't see how anyone buying bagged feed can make backgrounding purchased calves work.

Howdyjabo":1gc78pwj said:
scvfd_7241":1gc78pwj said:

my pencil couldn't make that work now. Maybe by fall things will look different.
I don't see how anyone buying bagged feed can make backgrounding purchased calves work.
I can't either.

Why don't you mix your own? 50 lbs at $8.25 = $330 ton or 16.5 cents a pound
With $4.00 corn and a 32% complete protein pellet you can easily make a 14% mix for less than 10 cents a pound.
Check with your local elevator and see what it would cost to buy a couple ton bulk and store it in a gravity box/wagon.

Pointer1160":2kr46nit said:

Have you tested your "good hay"? Perhaps you are throwing money away in protein. My hay always tests at a minimum of 12% protein and up. I am up in the air about including protein in my grain ration for growing Bulls next year. I figure they are getting it through the hay, but no guarantee they are eating enough??

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

I live in between southern states stores one in nc and one in va, normally the one in va is cheaper but I go to town more often in nc both only 20 minutes or so away. But I proceed the 14% jumpstart with bovatech, at the nc store in bulk one ton bags bags that sit on a pallet, for $285 a ton, I also priced what they call a commodity pellet which is 13% for $230 a ton. Fescue grass hay around here this pay year was around $30 on the high side, a 4x4 round bale. So can anyone tell me which feed is better the commodity or jumpstart. I used the calf web breakeven calculator and have figured the profit per head in many different scenarios, anywhere from $75 to $250 per head. This is an expansion to my cow/calfs that I already have, and both are a part time supplement. And just to let you'll know I live in the foothills of nc if it matters.

Douglas":9g56pmqi said:
http://www.performancelivestock.com/contactus.html

These guys are north of Winston Salem i believe. Same name but different company i believe
This came up a couple of months ago. Best I remember one company was a pretty darn good operation. The other just the opposite. Just dont' remember which was which or where the good one was located.

Latest posts