1086 TA

Help Support CattleToday:

ChrisB

Reaction score
I have an IH 1086 with a torque amplifier. I only rarely used the TA level, but the low side went out (that was where I usually had it set). I am now getting conflicting information on the proper use of the TA lever. Is it basically like another high-low range that I can change on the go? Does it matter where it is set for the majority of use? Keep it in high and shift down only when I need temporary extra power and then back into high? :dunce:

I was going to have an eliminator kit put in, but the dealer said the TA's they put in now are so much better; comes with a 5 year warranty and he can't recall ever getting one back. So he talked me into just replacing it since it will help the resale.

I have a TA on a 966 that I run the discbine with. I usually run it in "low" around the corners and heavy hay, and shift into high on the lighter spots and straight stretches.

I have a 986 if I remember the model correctly ill check tomorrow but I'm like that rotisserie commercial set it and forget it those things are trouble and a PITA to deal with. Set mine on high all the time I will check tomorrow.

Should be able to run it in either position all the time. Make sure when you shift that you don't try to feather it, just slam the lever into gear and roll on. While feathering it will make it feel smoother it causes slippage/heat/wear.

I run my 10 in high 95% of the time. Low when I need a little extra. And on the road to slow down, and I know this is not good. But they shift for crap compared to modern tractors.

Same spot for 2 years

IMG_20160604_184646718_zpswatycuat.jpg

According to the mechanics at my local dealership, the worst thing to do with a TA is to never use it.

I've replaced the TA with the shaft on two tractors through the years, they never wear out.

My Grandpa had a 686 and a 886 when I was helping him farm in the 70's and 80's. We used them daily and often, never had a problem with them. Normal uses that I can recall:

Running high speed equipment - rotary hoe, light discing, etc, come to the turn row and TA, then throttle back, for controllable turning.

Heavy tilling in a hard pulling part of the field. When tractor pulls down to say 17-1800 rpm, TA, then if it still pulls down, start bumping implement up a little to get your rpm back.

Hauling round bales in the hills (where I am now). On the 686 for sure, and I think the 886 as well, if you are going down a steep grade the tractor will hold you in DD, it will coast with TA engaged. Good to know on both counts. I coasted down a bunch of the hills then, saves fuel, with TA engaged.

DON'T throw the lever into DD coasting in TA, faster than DD would be moving you.

DD to pull start.

I would have it put back in if I could swing it. Handy device. Use it, that's what it's for.

Latest posts