10 day old calf with scours

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I have a calf with the scours. It is only 10 days old and has not been away from its mother since birth. It was born unassisted and has been very active. Should I give it a shot of LA200 or some other antibotic.
<br>
<br><hr size=4 width=75%><p>

[email protected]

(User Above)":nvy3ccbh said:
: I have a calf with the scours. It is only 10 days old and has not been away from its mother since birth. It was born unassisted and has been very active. Should I give it a shot of LA200 or some other antibotic.<p>I have always been succesful with using scour tablets that are sold at the feed store. You use one of those long pill plungers to insert and rub their neck after. There is also a liquid out which Im sure is easier to administer. Make sure you have help holding the calf- They are strong!<br>Alot of times if the Momma cow has alot of milk, the calf will appear to have some milk scours, and the tablets work great.<br>
<br>

[email protected]

Is the cow milking a lot? Sometimes the cow may be over milking which can cause scours. Also it just may be from bacteria in the ground that the calf may have caught. <br>Give the calf scour pills, work really well.
<br>

Is there any blood with the scours? If so it could be rotavirus, salmonella or coronovirus, in each case the calf will need to be taken off its mother and given electrolytes as it is through the dams milk the calf is having trouble. Has the cow been injected prior to calving with K99 for rotavirus? As that is a very good prevention. With those diseases the calfs papillae in the abomasum are being destroyed preventing the absorption of food in the stomach. Or as the others have said it could be too much milk from the dam if the scours are very creamy.: I have a calf with the scours. It is only 10 days old and has not been away from its mother since birth. It was born unassisted and has been very active. Should I give it a shot of LA200 or some other antibotic.<p>
<br>

[email protected]

Latest posts