1/2 or 3/4 ton?

Help Support CattleToday:

tom4018

Dumb Old Farmer
Reaction score
Looking to upgrade from an older 1/2 ton truck. We pull a 16 ft. stock trailer, weighs 3000# and usually no more than 5000# in it. Some of the 1/2 tons are rated for this and we currently do it, but have to take it easy 4.6l Ford F-150.

Pull a few fertilizer buggies a year also.

We want a crew cab, what would you buy?

tom4018":33l5wo4a said:
Looking to upgrade from an older 1/2 ton truck. We pull a 16 ft. stock trailer, weighs 3000# and usually no more than 5000# in it. Some of the 1/2 tons are rated for this and we currently do it, but have to take it easy 4.6l Ford F-150.

Pull a few fertilizer buggies a year also.

We want a crew cab, what would you buy?
i think your best beat is going to a 3/4 ton.that way you have no worries bout pulling a load.

I would never pull anything bigger than a lawn trailer with a 1/2 ton of any manufacturer. I have done this and sworn off doing it ever again. You get the tail wagging the dog syndrome and it's no fun. I know some will say "I do it all the time". Yeah, and would you rather sleep with a ugly woman or a pretty one? Same difference between a 1/2 and 3/4 ton.

You didn't mention if the stock trailer would be a GN or BP? At any rate, you will be MUCH happier towing with a 3/4 ton.

I do it all the time...... Actually I do. I've got a 1998 F150 six cylinder that I pull the 16' trailer to the sale barn with. Sale barn is 30 miles away.

Now as to the woman question......... :shock: I sleep with the prettiest 50y/o woman who's BMI is close to what it should be that you'd ever lay your eyes on..... :shock: (hmmmm.... no harm to me so far.....)

Depends on your terrain. In the flat lands I hauled loaded trailers and buggys with a F-150 300 six with a standard 4 speed transmission. In this area, hauling a load would put you in the rolls canardly category. Rolls down the hill and canardly make it up the next.
I went with F-250 diesel and I can;t tell I'm pulling anything. Get's me in trouble seomtimes cause it moves along so well I sometimes almost change lanes to early.

Tom, I,m in the same fix as you. I have a Dodge one ton dually diesel now and I,m wanting a new 4 door pickup. Ninety nine percent of the time your NOT pulling a trailer so i,m thinking I could do just as well with a half ton and save several thousand dollars. Plus it really chapped me when diesel was higher than gasoline and it could get that way again.

cowsrus it already is here. Last time I saw cheap gas was $2.89 and diesel was $3.14.
Tom I drove a crewcab half ton for about a month and a half. One word; YUCK!!!!
Got back into my 3/4 ton Ford crewcab and it was night and day. Will never go back to a half ton. Sorry that JMO.

Reason I was driving it, got T-boned by another driver. Luckily we were not in a car our we would have all been hurt bad.

I had a half ton for a few months-until I pulled a trailer laden with 5 cows. Everything was cool as long as they all stood still, but if they moved around any, they had me sloshing all over the road. Most half tons are able to pull a trailer, but the suspension just ain't there. No more half tons for me.

Why wouldn,t overload springs or air shocks work to make the half ton more stable pulling a trailer? I agree the power should be there. I don,t think you can beat a dually pulling a trailer, but like I said before 99 percent of the time your not pulling a trailer.

My personal opinion,, since you want a crew cab also,, is to go ahead and get the 3/4 ton. I prefer the stiffer ride and such any ways.

With that said,, you can get alot of the 1/2 tons that are pretty stiff,,, especially 4wd models. A good quad cab Z-71 with an over load spring will do just as good probably in your case.

cowsrus":u722uw6l said:
Why wouldn,t overload springs or air shocks work to make the half ton more stable pulling a trailer? I agree the power should be there. I don,t think you can beat a dually pulling a trailer, but like I said before 99 percent of the time your not pulling a trailer.

Lack of power is not the problem.
The brakes, springs, axles, frame, etc. are not as strong on a 1/2 ton, nor is it as heavy as a 3/4 ton.

I put air bags on a half ton chevy and pull a 16' bumper hitch...I also tried to stay under 5000# of cattle and always gated them to keep sloshing to a minimum. In my opinion it handled it. Not well but it handled it. Bottom line I bought a 3/4 ton chev and now No more worries about trying to stop and stuff. I will not pull with a 1/2 ton anymore

flaboy":2j828lr0 said:
I would never pull anything bigger than a lawn trailer with a 1/2 ton of any manufacturer. I have done this and sworn off doing it ever again. You get the tail wagging the dog syndrome and it's no fun. I know some will say "I do it all the time". Yeah, and would you rather sleep with a ugly woman or a pretty one? Same difference between a 1/2 and 3/4 ton.

You didn't mention if the stock trailer would be a GN or BP? At any rate, you will be MUCH happier towing with a 3/4 ton.
I hate to agree with FlaToy, but he's right on the money. :lol:

If you're going to tow, I've always had heavier trucks than the job may require. It falls along the same line as a Tractor, Having one a little bigger than you think you really need, is a plus in my book.My Wife's 4x4 Super Crew does not even have a hitch on it, and that's the way it'll stay.As fer the Wimmens part, ya'll better pay attention to Flaboy. Rumor has it he's hitched up with a HUGE beautiful gal. With a F-550 rear end, with limited slip. :shock:

I have a Ford diesel 3/4 ton and won't buy another. It rides rough, mpg isn't that much better than a gasser, and as was mentioned diesel has been higher than gas for most of the last 3 years.
A 1/2 ton Ford with the towing package will be my next truck.

Try a 1-ton farmerjohn, it is much rougher then the 3/4 ton. I've driven and ridden in both. SWD and DWD.
This summer for awhile diesel was less then gas.

Go 1/2 ton Chevy, ext. cab Z71! And drive it like you stole it!
Seriously, with a little common sense and mature driving, you'll be fine. Unless you are pulling several times per month, the added expense just isn't worth it. Up here the insurance, gas and taxes on 3/4 just don't make them an option to me. Better off to go single rear wheel 1 ton.

farmerjohn":c090tkml said:
I have a Ford diesel 3/4 ton and won't buy another. It rides rough, mpg isn't that much better than a gasser, and as was mentioned diesel has been higher than gas for most of the last 3 years.
A 1/2 ton Ford with the towing package will be my next truck.

What year is it farmerjohn. I had a 96 7.3 4x4 that rode like a tank. The 2000 7.3 rides much better and the 04 rides like a car to me.

Crowderfarms":21q0hlsw said:
I hate to agree with FlaToy, but he's right on the money. :lol:

If you're going to tow, I've always had heavier trucks than the job may require. It falls along the same line as a Tractor, Having one a little bigger than you think you really need, is a plus in my book.My Wife's 4x4 Super Crew does not even have a hitch on it, and that's the way it'll stay.As fer the Wimmens part, ya'll better pay attention to Flaboy. Rumor has it he's hitched up with a HUGE beautiful gal. With a F-550 rear end, with limited slip. :shock:

Now Crowder you know those Badonkadonk 550 rears can used for a pick-nick table or serving bar.

The song is also my ring-tone. You ought to see the looks I get when it rings during a meeting. :lol:

Latest posts