Be careful using Micotil

Help Support CattleToday:

Cattle Rack Rancher

Reaction score
Drug company sued over death of rancher

KEVIN O'HANLON

Associated Press

LINCOLN, Neb. - The widow of a Clay County rancher and rodeo rider who was killed by an accidental injection of a cattle antibiotic has filed a lawsuit alleging the drug's manufacturer failed to warn about its dangers.

Rourk Erickson, 38, was killed in 2003 when a cow charged and the needle holding the antibiotic punctured his skin, according to a lawsuit filed in U.S. District Court in North Platte by Erickson's widow, Debra.

The drug, Micotil 300, is used to treat respiratory infections in cattle. In animals, Micotil is to be injected only under the skin, and it can be deadly if overdosed or injected into the bloodstream.

It also can be fatal to humans.

More than a dozen deaths related to the drug have been reported since it was approved for use in 1990 in other countries and in the United States in 1992.

Eli Lilly and Co. distributes Micotil through its Elanco Animal Health division in Greenfield, Ind.

"Eli Lilly distributed with supplies of Micotil information concerning use of the drug," according to the lawsuit filed by William Lamson Jr. and William Settles of Omaha. "However, Eli Lilly supplied Micotil 300 in a bulk solution form without any delivery system designed to prevent or reduce the potential for accidental injection into the person administering the drug to cattle in a typical place in which cattle are kept.

"Without a safe delivery system supplied with the drug, a cattle producer such as Mr. Erickson could use the drug only by employing a delivery device, such as a syringe and needle that presented a significant hazard of accidental injection," the lawsuit says.

Rourk Erickson died on March 8, 2003, after putting Micotil into a syringe equipped with a hypodermic needle to treat one of his cattle.

As he walked through a barn, another cow charged into a fence panel, knocking him to the ground and forcing the needle into his body.

He died a short time later.

"Eli Lilly failed to adequately warn cattle producers using Micotil ... about the drug's extreme dangerousness to humans, about the potential for death resulting from accidental injection, about the lack on an effective treatment or antidote for this drug while alternative drugs with effective treatments and antidotes were available," the lawsuit says.

The lawsuit asks for a jury trial and unspecified damages.

Dennis Erpelding, spokesman for Elanco, did not immediately return a call to his office seeking comment.

Last year, South Dakota cattleman Terry Ehrich died after accidentally injecting himself with Micotil.

Ehrich was working at his Rockham ranch when he tried to administer the drug to a head of cattle. The animal moved and the syringe went into Ehrich. He died about 3 1/2 hours later.

__

Thats unfortunate. I don't administer that particulare drug because of that. Let my vet do it. Makes me wonder if the Vet that prescibed it warned him about it. It does say on the bottle "For veterinary use only". Hardly any one follows this. To me this is another frivolus(sp) lawsuit that is going to help take a good drug off the market. But again let me stress that I do feel bad for the loss of her husband.

Scotty

Just reading the warnings on my bottle of Micotil 300. HUMAN WARNING: Injection May Cause Death, gives warnings against powered guns as well 1-800 numbers for medical info, gives Physician info re: cardiovasculer system being target of drug in humans.

I assumed people that use Micotil understood the dangers at hand! It is always sad to hear of farmers who lose their lives. I don't see a lawsuit solving anything. Being in this industry is one of the most dangerous places to be!

Scotty":3qwayf6b said:
Thats unfortunate. I don't administer that particulare drug because of that. Let my vet do it. Makes me wonder if the Vet that prescibed it warned him about it. It does say on the bottle "For veterinary use only". Hardly any one follows this. To me this is another frivolus(sp) lawsuit that is going to help take a good drug off the market. But again let me stress that I do feel bad for the loss of her husband.

Scotty

Did you know that it could cause death? If you did there must have been some sort of warning somewhere. Or where you using common sence?

Seems to me that any drug could kill you if given in a large enough dose. Cattle typically require much larger doses than humans due to their large size. Very unfortunate accident, but that is what it is an accident. Is it the drug co. fault that he was caring a loaded syringe? Is it the drug co. fault a cow charged the fence? Was it the drug co. fault that he didn't cull that cow sooner? Is it the drug co. fault he did not have a better way to restrain his cattle?

How many people here believe that it is safe to inject yourself with any medication at a dose that is recommended for cattle?

Although I love Micotil, and I did know it could kill, I had no idea that apparently so little of it could be fatal.......kinda like carring around a loaded gun with no safety and a hair trigger...best to keep it capped and pointed in a safe direction at all times.

It's unfortunate that someone lost his life .. but it would be a shame to lose a great drug because of a lawsuit. Accidents DO happen.. it's too bad that everyone seems to want to blame someone else.

Tod Dague":3b8uxwub said:
Scotty":3b8uxwub said:

Scotty

Did you know that it could cause death? If you did there must have been some sort of warning somewhere. Or where you using common sence?

Seems to me that any drug could kill you if given in a large enough dose. Cattle typically require much larger doses than humans due to their large size. Very unfortunate accident, but that is what it is an accident. Is it the drug co. fault that he was caring a loaded syringe? Is it the drug co. fault a cow charged the fence? Was it the drug co. fault that he didn't cull that cow sooner? Is it the drug co. fault he did not have a better way to restrain his cattle?

How many people here believe that it is safe to inject yourself with any medication at a dose that is recommended for cattle?

Yes I knew it could cause death. It sways it on the warning lable in print with the product. They also warn not to use it with an auto inject cyringe.
I told my vet about this post and he told me at several conferences taht they have been spoken to to warn and try to get their clients to let them inject it. He also told me that many suicides have been commited with this product.

Scotty

Scotty":w9dptiuy said:
Tod Dague":w9dptiuy said:
Scotty":w9dptiuy said:

Scotty

Yes I knew it could cause death. It sways it on the warning lable in print with the product. They also warn not to use it with an auto inject cyringe.
I told my vet about this post and he told me at several conferences taht they have been spoken to to warn and try to get their clients to let them inject it. He also told me that many suicides have been commited with this product.

Scotty

Thank you.

Latest posts