6000 John Deere series vs. 7000 JD series

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
We have looked for a good 7210, and so many have had makeovers, and they look almost new. Some show many hours and some show very few, but they seem to be coming from traders that go through dealers that make a quick turn on tractors. One in particular that I would not buy from, who has a couple of exactly what we need.

We are seeing quite a few of the 6000 series for sale, with 100 HP, with John Deere loaders. They seem to be a shorter coupled tractor, which would make it easier for getting around in the feed lot. But how is it in the hay fields when pulling the baler? I see these for sale more often.
Thanks
Chuckie

The 6000 series are shorter. They have a 4 cyl engine and the 7000 series have a 6 cyl. The 6000 series will pull a baler fine. Try to stay with the larger sizes like the 6420. those are 90 hp at the pto. They do not ride quite as smooth as the 7000 b/c of being shorter but the price is a lot nicer.

Beware the 6010 series (6310, 6410, etc) Apparently it's pretty common for the driveshaft to have a come apart.When that happens the bearing housing on the transmission can end up cracked, transmission filter housing get wrecked, and wiring takes a licking.

There are several shops around here that "re-furbish" the 6000 series and if you saw them before they start on them you wouldn't want one even though they replace "have to" parts and put on a new paint job. Look hard and long at a repainted John Deere, mine is 5 years old and the paint is still perfect so if it is repainted they are more than likely hiding something. The 6420 and 6430 are excellent hay and cattle tractors if you get the 4X4 and loader. Wouldn't take anything for mine and do without them.

The man down the road, he really slicks them up. He has them all in a row, beside the highway, like a brand new lineup at the John Deere dealership. All that shiny, new green paint and those new loaders. He paints the loaders too. But I see the ones he is taking off of the trailer , and the abuse is very evident. They appear to be coming off of farms where the tractors are used by workers that have no knowledge or could care less about the equipment. I believe he picks up a lot at the big auctions, like at Brinkley's. But, he doesn't purchase the nice ones that go through. I have been there once, and they had some really nice tractors. I would like to go again, it is just a bit too far. Back to the tractors he brings in, the screens are dented in, and so many welds in the arms of the three point hitches. Usually the hole in the drawbar is much larger than what shows on the hours on the dash. Welds in places that makes you wonder, "What happened?"

He has pretty much ruled on the 6000 series, but he is looking beyond the 7210. He is now looking for a 7410 But I am hoping if he runs across a 7610, he will consider it. I don't think there were as many 7210's made as there were other tractors. Row crops are king here, and they could use a larger tractor with more hp on for both.
Chuckie

We have both 6000 and 7000 series tractors on the place. I like both equally well. I wouldn't use a 7000 for a loader tractor though as they aren't nearly as maneuverable as the 6000's are. I guess if you working in a large area and want a beefier machine it would be fine but I'm doing a lot of work in barns and lots where you need a shorter wheel base. I'm curious why the 6000 series was ruled out. Nothing wrong with them as far as my experience goes. By the way the 7610 is a nice tractor. I put a new 740 classic loader on a 7610 for one of the neighbors. I was sure wishing I could keep it on my place to try out.

He has ruled out the the 6000 series because he is hard headed. I think the deal about the 4 cylinder, he has problems with. We talked about the Premier model in the higher series, but he seems to think the hydraulics are not as strong as they are in the other 7000 models I named. I agree on the size, and so does he. He frowns on the 7610 and has held back about the 7410, but limiting himself on the 7210, he isn't giving himself a lot of room to find what he is looking for.
The gear shift being manual would not be a problem if that is the only thing that is different from the 7000 model and the Premier models in the larger 6000 models.

The only tight spots he has to get in can be eliminated easily. But that is a different story under one of the other forums. Ha-ha!!! I personally.....would go look at one of the Premier higher number 6000 models. Like the 6400 series such as Cabo wrote about. I like the compact tractor, and I don't need a lot of bells and whistle. But I do want MFWD,a live PTO, and hydraulic brakes. Joystick loader, cab, A/C and heat. Two hydraulic hook ups. power steering.
I don't know if these tractors come with rack and pinion, and do they all come with the rear wheels where it appears to be welded in four spots. Most rear tractor wheel appear to be solid, and some of these have a 4 point star pattern. where the center attaches to the outer rim. For some reason, it just doesn't look as strong as the solid wheel.

OK, as you can see I know enough to run my mouth, and should not be a tractor salesman.
Chuckie

Chuckie, I hear what you're saying about the rear wheels. I prefer the cast wheel with the rack and pinion axle. These don't seem to be as common as the flange style steel wheels are. One of the 6400's on the farm is cast and one is steel. We had to weight the steel wheeled tractor down much heavier to equal the cast wheeled 6400. I also feel the cast wheel with the axle is a stronger setup.

I'm curious why the 4 cylinder engine would be a turn off. Personally I love our 4 cylinders as they are more fuel efficient than any of the 6's we have. What kind of HP is he looking for anyway?

What kind of tranny is he looking for? I have Power Quads and I absolutely love em for loader work. No clutching between forward and reverse. The two on the farm are right hand reversers. I'd be curious as to how I would like a left hand reverser as I run out of hands to run all the controls on the right side with the loader and all.

We have two 6220's. A 2002 6220 2wd and a 2005 4wd. Both have cabs. The 02 has 1800 hours and the 05 about 1200 hours. So far no trouble other than one leaking fuel line and a crankshaft position sensor replaced under warranty on the 05. No complaints other than it is hard to see out of the cab to back up to hitch up something to the drawbar (it's hard to see the drawbar without half standing up).
The 4wd uses about 3.5 to 4 gallons/ hour when working it hard - loader work, plowing, etc. These are 72 pto hp tractors. Both have the PowerQuad transmission and shuttle shift.

These tractors are what they call the Premium series today. They have closed center hydraulics which don't run unless you need the pressure- saves on fuel. The 5000 series and other 6000 series are open center gear driven pumps which run all of the time.

My salesman was at the Mannheim factory a few years ago where the 6020 series are made. He said that they had a 7000 series and pitted it against the 6000 series and that the 6020 series could drag the 7000 series around the lot. :)

johndeerefarmer":2o6u6m76 said:
My salesman was at the Mannheim factory a few years ago where the 6020 series are made. He said that they had a 7000 series and pitted it against the 6000 series and that the 6020 series could drag the 7000 series around the lot. :)

If the 7000 was out of gear! Saying and doing are two different things

both two wheel drive, or 4x4 - 4x4, apples to apples the laws of physics says the heavier tractor wins.

johndeerefarmer":123vfjhk said:
We have two 6220's. A 2002 6220 2wd and a 2005 4wd. Both have cabs. The 02 has 1800 hours and the 05 about 1200 hours. So far no trouble other than one leaking fuel line and a crankshaft position sensor replaced under warranty on the 05. No complaints other than it is hard to see out of the cab to back up to hitch up something to the drawbar (it's hard to see the drawbar without half standing up).
The 4wd uses about 3.5 to 4 gallons/ hour when working it hard - loader work, plowing, etc. These are 72 pto hp tractors. Both have the PowerQuad transmission and shuttle shift.

These tractors are what they call the Premium series today. They have closed center hydraulics which don't run unless you need the pressure- saves on fuel. The 5000 series and other 6000 series are open center gear driven pumps which run all of the time.

The Key words are highlighted and I bet your salesman says that you John Deere tractors are made in the U.S.A too

Neither of us were there so we don't know but weight isn't everything. It's how the weight is distributed and how much traction you get from that weight, as well as tire tread. I would like to see a 7130 100 pto HP pitted against a 6430 95 pto HP

My salesman had no reason to lie, I am sure that he would have liked to sell me a more expensive 7000 series.

AudieWyoming":15b8fqhb said:
johndeerefarmer":15b8fqhb said:

If the 7000 was out of gear! Saying and doing are two different things

both two wheel drive, or 4x4 - 4x4, apples to apples the laws of physics says the heavier tractor wins.

Latest posts