What are you eating today?

Help Support CattleToday:

Eating off the grid. Chickens are laying like there is no tomorrow so breakfast becomes supper and those wild hogs sure are pretty on a plate.

17626415_1104744896298162_1270402846859787875_n.jpg

Jogeephus":26v50mig said:
Eating off the grid. Chickens are laying like there is no tomorrow so breakfast becomes supper and those wild hogs sure are pretty on a plate.

Man that looks good. I haven't had supper yet, and looking at that makes me even hungrier. But I heard a rumor we're having ribeyes, so I'm sure it will be worth the wait.

Jogeephus":1zwdiwga said:

Looks great too bad my breakfast won't look like that in the morning

skyhightree1":2sxkr46q said:
wacocowboy":2sxkr46q said:
Glad I don't live close to Jo or Sky I would weigh 500lbs. That's some good looking food makes my mouth water.

:lol2: I have to keep working cause if I don't I will be 500lbs

Yeah I put on some weight after my back surgery cause not doing as much work

I have four layers a rooster and six biddies. I'm beginning to crave some steak but I believe our grocery bill this week was less than $20 so I like that.

Rafter S":56djpii6 said:
Carnitas is a pork dish here in my part of the world, but that looks good.

Yeah and some places it is fried lol cubes of pork others it is shredded both are good.

Jo might not be pork but looks good.

wacocowboy":3bnl42xv said:
Rafter S":3bnl42xv said:

Yeah and some places it is fried lol cubes of pork others it is shredded both are good.

I agree, typically carnitas are made using pork but in spanish carnita simply means "little meats" and any meat can be used. Its more of the process in my view. Mexicans here are always trying to buy roosters which puzzled me for a long time till they introduced me to rooster carnitas and then it became clear. Using tough meats like rooster, wild turkey legs, deer shanks or goose legs will yield something surprisingly good and you'll be making use of what many people throw away.

I like pork carnitas..never tried the pollo version. My favorite dish of that type tho is more of a stew...carne guisado, either beef or pork. Some places, it's pretty thin and watery, other versions a thick rich chili powder gravy base.
Carne assada is a bit different. More of a Mexican influenced roast but just as good as guisado.

Jogeephus":lfvnsfxa said:
wacocowboy":lfvnsfxa said:
Rafter S":lfvnsfxa said:

I agree, typically carnitas are made using pork but in spanish carnita simply means "little meats" and any meat can be used. Its more of the process in my view. Mexicans here are always trying to buy roosters which puzzled me for a long time till they introduced me to rooster carnitas and then it became clear. Using tough meats like rooster, wild turkey legs, deer shanks or goose legs will yield something surprisingly good and you'll be making use of what many people throw away.

Nice way to use unwanted meat.

wacocowboy":1dq4wsn8 said:
Nice way to use unwanted meat.

I agree. I hate to waste game meat when often times you can make good things out of the "junk cuts" if you just know how to do it and there is a lot of so called junk meat on a wild turkey.

I took Greybeard's words to heart and did some reading on the carne guisada and saw where this could easily be transformed to that dish. Maybe not the proper way of doing it but I took this base meat and transformed it into my version of that dish and I'm in agreement with GB that his dish is better. Both are good but the carne guisada was far more complex in the flavor department and it even seemed more tender. Anyway, thanks GB for the tip.

I ended up making the carne guisada with rice and fried turkey breast fingers. I still have a lot more turkey from this one bird so it doesn't look like I'll be paying sales tax on food for a while and this makes everything taste even better.

539876_1108608102578508_6281621571331169312_n.jpg

Oh, with the carne guisada its a good idea to have a napkin handy.
17757291_1108608115911840_485333277327142017_n.jpg

That looks good Sky I hope you have a lot of manual labor planned for this week else you might start looking for one of those Rascal things.

Latest posts