Eating a Racoon

Help Support CattleToday:

When I was a teenager I coon hunted alot with hounds, a good hide would bring $15-$20 and I could sell the meat to a local fish market for .50/lb. That was in the mid 90s so it was pretty good money. I've eaten coon but it wasn't all that great to me, I'd try it again though.

A lot like goat. Great barbequed. The joke: only take one with the feet still on if it is cleaned to avoid eating a house cat.
I like goat, at least what I had was good. It was a boer and we smoked it overnight, tasted alot like pork to me.
When I sold the coon meat, it had to have a foot still on it for the reason you mentioned.

Cooking coon or Possum is in some ways like cooking bear. It's all in the knowledge of knowing how.
I have eaten coon but it was very greasy. Tasted good though.
Same with bear. But fixed correctly both are very good.
My grandmother cooked coon instead of turkey for thanksgiving. She only had a wood cook stove. Best I recall, the coon was inside of a large glass dish with a lid and baked most of the day. I don't remember anything remarkable about it.

I don't remember anything remarkable about it.
That works both ways. That is, it was neither terrible nor great.

Many decades ago, for whatever reason, my father bought my mother on of those chafing dish things. Chrome pan of some sort, glass lid with a little alcohol flame under it. Fancy for our lifestyle at the time. The only time I saw it used was when my dad insisted mom cook him some fish roe in it and shortly afterwards another time he had her scramble regular chicken eggs in it..
I thought the fish roe was awful but he seemed to like it...probably a throwback to his young days of being dirt poor and had to eat whatever they could find.
As far as I know, it got boxed up and put up in the loft never to see daylight again..

Seems like a coon should be trapped alive and pen fed for a while. Like those giant catfish pulled out of the Colorado river in Texas. They keep them in a water trough and feed them corn for a while. It takes away the mud taste.

As I understand it the bad taste in coon meat comes from the fat. So you boil the coon a while then skim off the grease. Then, you add salt, pepper, onions, bell peppers carrots and herbs of choice to the broth. Simmer 2 more hours, throw out the coon and serve the broth.

Last edited:

Latest posts