fence tips and tricks

Help Support CattleToday:

Is there a mill line on that pipe? It's easy to to get plum if there is one. That young man can lay out good, no 1/2" gaps to fill there. Why do you run the weld up hill? I know it's not for the strength, and I'm sure you have a good reason.

True Grit Farms":3qqedkkf said:
Is there a mill line on that pipe? It's easy to to get plum if there is one. That young man can lay out good, no 1/2" gaps to fill there. Why do you run the weld up hill? I know it's not for the strength, and I'm sure you have a good reason.

I run the weld both ways because I'm filling a gap. Using pipe a size smaller than the post you can make a straight cut instead of a saddle. No sir it's not structural strong. But it's plenty strong.
And braces don't pay structural strong.
Plus I can have unskilled labor do it.
Young man is very skilled. Skilled enough to not be throwing away his pocket. We will be building some pipe fence next week saddled and all." Although there is already a video back in this thread" With experience you learn when to put a hook in your good baits.

callmefence":24md3doy said:
True Grit Farms":24md3doy said:

I run the weld both ways because I'm filling a gap. Using pipe a size smaller than the post you can make a straight cut instead of a saddle. No sir it's not structural strong. But it's plenty strong.
And braces don't pay structural strong.
Plus I can have unskilled labor do it.
Young man is very skilled. Skilled enough to not be throwing away his pocket. We will be building some pipe fence next week saddled and all." Although there is already a video back in this thread" With experience you learn when to put a hook in your good baits.

You have me confused, which isn't hard.

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=100515&p=1290571&hilit=Saddling+pipe#p1290571

I just bumped the old video up on how we saddle pipe. We do use a torch some, but mostly the portable bandsaw. I started this little job (277 ' of three rail and a gate repair)8:00 on Monday. That means loading the tractor, cutting the post before driving 25 to the job site.
Noon Tuesday we're cleaning up. Been in the rain a good bit and had to stop this morning run into town and buy a new welder. :bang:

pricefarm":2jvs8vef said:
callmefence":2jvs8vef said:
https://youtu.be/YzreVBv3ees

That's how I do it if the ground is soft enough and I don't hit a rock.
Me too with my backoe/loader. When the ground is hard as a hooker's heart tho, I have to drive them by bouncing the bucket up/down. The first time I did it, after about 70 of them, the fan started hitting the radiator shroud. I had beat the front rubber motor mount out of the ancient 1970s something 480CK Case.
I have, pushed/driven some 6"x2" channel iron posts to refusal on a road's retaining wall, but had to fill the bucket with dirt to do it.

Winter months, if I sharpen one end, I can drive a pretty good size wood post with a FEL full of dirt or rock

slick4591":3kapvejz said:
Guess I'm lucky that I don't have the rocks. Roots are my biggest problem when pushing t-posts.
I can usually get 'em in past/thru roots but they are a bear to get back out...usually come out missing the spade.

We pound ours with the shaver. Feather tap them a couple times and they go right in. That way the guy on the ground can level them and get the height exact. Summer time when the ground is hard we slide a pipe over them to keep them from bending.

They make a little sleeve, that slips over a hot wire on a terminal post. It has a piece of soft flat metal in it. I stripped the barbs off of some barbed wire, and slid it through that sleeve. Made it hot yesterday, and this afternoon, 2 of them had burned through. Got to be operator error, but I only see one way the stupid thing should go together. Now I guess ill have to replace about 20 of the things. I turned the flat metal piece, towards the post, made the connection with a ferrule, and tensioned it with a gripple from the middle of the wire. I've got a 6 penny nail, driven above and below it to keep it from moving up or down. The nails make no contact with the insulator.

Bigfoot":ih6f53np said:
They make a little sleeve, that slips over a hot wire on a terminal post. It has a piece of soft flat metal in it. I stripped the barbs off of some barbed wire, and slid it through that sleeve. Made it hot yesterday, and this afternoon, 2 of them had burned through. Got to be operator error, but I only see one way the stupid thing should go together. Now I guess ill have to replace about 20 of the things. I turned the flat metal piece, towards the post, made the connection with a ferrule, and tensioned it with a gripple from the middle of the wire. I've got a 6 penny nail, driven above and below it to keep it from moving up or down. The nails make no contact with the insulator.

Where did you get them? The DARE brand in the red box at the farm stores are junk. We stock some good ones, and so does Kencove.

Farm Fence Solutions":m8bqpllq said:
Bigfoot":m8bqpllq said:

Where did you get them? The DARE brand in the red box at the farm stores are junk. We stock some good ones, and so does Kencove.
Yes the Dare brand ones are junk and all that is locally available. I have went to using the ceramic donut looking ones.

Farm Fence Solutions":3ks5xm07 said:
Bigfoot":3ks5xm07 said:

TSC. Not only junk, they bring a bunch of extra work on man. I did use them correctly though?

Bigfoot":2ui9uivi said:
Farm Fence Solutions":2ui9uivi said:
Bigfoot":2ui9uivi said:

TSC. Not only junk, they bring a bunch of extra work on man. I did use them correctly though?

Yep. The only place you slipped is where you bought em. ;-)

If they are the long strips about 12-14' long, I've seen those crack if the weather was cold when you bend them around a post....I've seen some short ones but never tried them.

greybeard":2tnaa5a4 said:
If they are the long strips about 12-14' long, I've seen those crack if the weather was cold when you bend them around a post....I've seen some short ones but never tried them.

The good ones don't fall apart like the farm store junkers. We only stock 24" in the warehouse and the trucks, but they are easy to cut to length.....or even make two out of for smaller posts.

Latest posts