fence tips and tricks

Help Support CattleToday:

Farm Fence Solutions":inlqua14 said:
Bigfoot":inlqua14 said:
Got a blinking display on my lectric fence box. The more fence I add, the higher the number goes. Seems the opposite of what I would think. It's maxed out at 19.9. Never seen it that high.

Seems odd. Have you put a tester on it?

Maxes it out.

Bigfoot":35bteowf said:
Farm Fence Solutions":35bteowf said:
Bigfoot":35bteowf said:
Got a blinking display on my lectric fence box. The more fence I add, the higher the number goes. Seems the opposite of what I would think. It's maxed out at 19.9. Never seen it that high.

Seems odd. Have you put a tester on it?

Maxes it out.

Call an electrician and buy a lotto ticket. ;-)

I snapped a chain around the post, and was able to use my goldenrod to hold the wire, while I changed wire covers over to insulators. I've only changed the 2 that failed so far. I guess someday, when time allows, I'll change them all over. It's shame anybody sells such an inferior product.

After reading all the post from these fencing experts I often find myself working on the side of the road and looking at the way some local fence professional build fence. I have learned a lot about fence building from this thread. I'll try and get some pics today of some fence work done by a rather large fencing company here and you can see that they really need a class from a couple on here about how to properly build a fence.

callmefence":3ssvgrru said:
pricefarm":3ssvgrru said:
Here are a few pics of one fence job that just got done by a large fencing company

Hopefully you didn't pay for that.

All no not my fence someone else's. I seen them building it last week while I was working in the area.

Guess they aint got to tie the wire if they aint gonna pull it tight. :???:

There are hacks in every industry, work like that speaks for itself. I wouldnt pay a dime for that.

I am putting up a woven wire fence this spring. It is internal fence. I am not going to have it topped off with a strand of barb wire. Any comment on that?

callmefence":1qxfirt4 said:
Bright Raven":1qxfirt4 said:
I am putting up a woven wire fence this spring. It is internal fence. I am not going to have it topped off with a strand of barb wire. Any comment on that?

I wouldn't.

You mean you wouldn't put it up? So you agree with my plan?

Bright Raven":1y7u3e42 said:

For cattle I like having a barb or two on top. Helps keep them from mashing down the top of the fence.

fence_it":2l089x8g said:
Bright Raven":2l089x8g said:

For cattle I like having a barb or two on top. Helps keep them from mashing down the top of the fence.

Thanks. That is a good point.

fence_it":24xlkmmz said:
Bright Raven":24xlkmmz said:

Exactly net wire Doesn't do well on its own. Sorry Raven I had my hands full.
Also not a bad idea to have a barb at around 30 inches. Especially in a pen. Sometimes they figure out netwire makes a pretty good belly scratcher. Especially when the hairs coming off.

fence_it":1qakyk17 said:
Guess they aint got to tie the wire if they aint gonna pull it tight. :???:

There are hacks in every industry, work like that speaks for itself. I wouldnt pay a dime for that.

You'd think they'd at least go round the outside of the post. Someone ate to much glue in kindergarten.

Latest posts