fence tips and tricks

Help Support CattleToday:

dieselbeef":1j8hjzqp said:
man that's alotta pull on that...I need a new one..whos is best..mine is kinda sprung in the handles

We really just use it to hold the wire as we cut and tie it off. With a good fixed or torus knot net it will actually hold itself pretty good if you do one wire at a time. Goldenrod is the best I've used.
But since we went high tensile I'm wearing out a pair every week or to.
If anyone makes one with hightensil jaws I'd like to know about it myself.

dieselbeef":ckon564h said:
https://www.grainger.com/product/GRAINGER-APPROVED-33-x-8-Steel-Fence-Stretcher-8DNN7

how bout this one..and why the extra clamp on the other end? so ya can hold it to take another bite?

There's a Grainger not far. I'm gonna check that out. Looks like a goldenrod. Says high tensile. Idk..
I don't like the third jaw. It gets in the way. When all I can get is the three jaw I always cut the one off.

callmefence":3fldctjv said:
dieselbeef":3fldctjv said:
https://www.grainger.com/product/GRAINGER-APPROVED-33-x-8-Steel-Fence-Stretcher-8DNN7

how bout this one..and why the extra clamp on the other end? so ya can hold it to take another bite?

There's a Grainger not far. I'm gonna check that out. Looks like a goldenrod. Says high tensile. Idk..
I don't like the third jaw. It gets in the way. When all I can get is the three jaw I always cut the one off.
Yes, a Goldenrod. The 3rd jaw does come in handy, as it allows you to 'hold what ya got' if you didn't hand pull the 'easy' slack out first and have to grab another bite with the goldenrod.
I had one and it was 'ok' but didn't need the other jaw often enough to make the extra cost worth it.

callmefence":1u8nni1t said:
pricefarm":1u8nni1t said:
I would like to see a video on how you tie off the wire once you have it that tight.

I'll try to do that.
But this probably gives you a idea

That is how I thought you did it but I wouldn't think that it would hold that much tension. Mine seems to slip when it get real tight

Goldenrod quality has suffered some in recent years. The jaw on some of them close just at the very end instead of in the middle where more teeth engage the wire. On others, there's a lot of space between the jaw frame and the jaw and it's easy to get the wire off to one side. It's a manufacturing quality problem. Just a crapshoot whether you get a good one or not.
The clones you see at places like TSC and McCoys are even worse. They all work pretty good on the bigger wire but not so much on the high tension.

I have often wondered, if you welded a wire dog to one end of a goldenrod, and a Klein cable grip to the other, would it adequately replace the crappy grips that are on there? Hold your mouth right, and they could be welded in line with each other.

Bigfoot":25tg1k9t said:
I have often wondered, if you welded a wire dog to one end of a goldenrod, and a Klein cable grip to the other, would it adequately replace the crappy grips that are on there? Hold your mouth right, and they could be welded in line with each other.
I've used a short chain and a cone&ring wiredog on a goldenrod before and the dog holds fine.

I've also used one of these on a goldenrod and it works good too-mine, the chain just makes a loop and I slip it over the end of the goldenrod. (mine's about 30+ years old tho). I have a much bigger (and equally old) one I use to pull wire rope (cable).

greybeard":13n0lw2n said:
Bigfoot":13n0lw2n said:
I've used a short chain and a cone&ring wiredog on a goldenrod before and the dog holds fine.

I've also used one of these on a goldenrod and it works good too-mine, the chain just makes a loop and I slip it over the end of the goldenrod. (mine's about 30+ years old tho). I have a much bigger (and equally old) one I use to pull wire rope (cable).

After youve made the splice, can you release the tension off the wire dawg?

Bigfoot":2mibpwvm said:
greybeard":2mibpwvm said:
Bigfoot":2mibpwvm said:

After youve made the splice, can you release the tension off the wire dawg?

That type of dog will grip high tensile no problem. It's downfalls are it doesn't fit easily in some of the smaller square net wires. And just not as handy as the goldenrod style tool.
You can get replacement jaws for the gripple contractor tool. I've thought about welding a set of those on a goldenrod.

I see you use a kneeling pad. How many times have I gotten down on the ground to tie off the bottom strand and planted a knee right on top of a stick or rock and had to move?
..and rocks are very rare in my area, but I can find a single one on an acre of ground like magic.

greybeard":27mzn5dt said:
I see you use a kneeling pad. How many times have I gotten down on the ground to tie off the bottom strand and planted a knee right on top of a stick or rock and had to move?
..and rocks are very rare in my area, but I can find a single one on an acre of ground like magic.

I've learned that taking the time to get comfortable has made me more productive, which equates to more profitable. I also keep a toolbox stocked with a butane stove, coffee, soup, water, tea, bread, and a cooler with the meat and cheese. This time of year, a hot meal and dry knees are nice to have. :nod:

Latest posts