Bucks only

Help Support CattleToday:

I've made some terrible archery shots and found deer and made some picture perfect shots and never found them. Spined the last one as he jumped the string, he never took a step but required a follow up shot. I still enjoy bow hunting but until I can shoot more I won't go. Only lost one deer with a rifle and I've shot a pile of them.

If you think the wounded and get away rate is bad for bow shot deer you should take a look at what it is for elk. nearly every year someone I know will shoot a elk with a pussed up arrow wound or there will be a humped up arrow shot elk out in the fields that dies a slow death. And the bow hunters have pressured the Game dept so they hunt in September during the rut. Lots of elk that are killed cleanly end up going to waste because the weather is too warm and they simply can't get the meat to a cooler quick enough.

As an avid hunter and a serious bow hunter I have seen about every archery shot scenario imaginable. I have probably taken in the neighborhood of 75 deer with a bow along with elk, bear and hogs. Arrows can be very deadly in terms of terminal performance. Arrows kill by massive hemorrhage where bullets kill by shock and tissue damage. A bow shot deer (double lung hit) that runs 100 yards after the hit will usually die almost as fast as a bullet shot deer they just do not have that shock factor that shuts down their nervous system. A bow shot deer can cover that 100 yards in about 6 or 7 seconds. The massive amounts of blood that rushes to their vitals causes the brain to have none. Blood pressure goes to zero and they basically pass out and die. All of this happens in a few seconds of time. I have shot deer that ran 100 yards or better into an open field or open woods and I have witnessed this many times. However, most bow kills take place in thick woods were the archer does not see the deer fall and the blood trail is required to find the deer. The big problems are guys taking low percentage shots, expandable broad heads, shooting too far, dull broad heads, untuned set-ups, arrows that wobble like crazy when spun, dependence upon technology instead of skill and the worst......too lazy to spend the time to truly work out a blood trail. I have seen several guys give up on a blood trail and call me only to have me find the perfectly hit deer 80 to 100 yards away in a different direction that they swear the deer took after the shot. A deer hit through the lungs (note plural) or heart with a fixed blade, razor sharp broad head, will bleed and die quickly no exceptions. I hate expandable heads.....the vast majority of the deer that I have trailed and not found for people in the last 15 years were shot with expandable heads that failed. Archery equipment is VERY effective at killing.......many bow hunters are not.

HOSS":1dpomfcp said:
As an avid hunter and a serious bow hunter I have seen about every archery shot scenario imaginable. I have probably taken in the neighborhood of 75 deer with a bow along with elk, bear and hogs. Arrows can be very deadly in terms of terminal performance. Arrows kill by massive hemorrhage where bullets kill by shock and tissue damage. A bow shot deer (double lung hit) that runs 100 yards after the hit will usually die almost as fast as a bullet shot deer they just do not have that shock factor that shuts down their nervous system. A bow shot deer can cover that 100 yards in about 6 or 7 seconds. The massive amounts of blood that rushes to their vitals causes the brain to have none. Blood pressure goes to zero and they basically pass out and die. All of this happens in a few seconds of time. I have shot deer that ran 100 yards or better into an open field or open woods and I have witnessed this many times. However, most bow kills take place in thick woods were the archer does not see the deer fall and the blood trail is required to find the deer. The big problems are guys taking low percentage shots, expandable broad heads, shooting too far, dull broad heads, untuned set-ups, arrows that wobble like crazy when spun, dependence upon technology instead of skill and the worst......too lazy to spend the time to truly work out a blood trail. I have seen several guys give up on a blood trail and call me only to have me find the perfectly hit deer 80 to 100 yards away in a different direction that they swear the deer took after the shot. A deer hit through the lungs (note plural) or heart with a fixed blade, razor sharp broad head, will bleed and die quickly no exceptions. I hate expandable heads.....the vast majority of the deer that I have trailed and not found for people in the last 15 years were shot with expandable heads that failed. Archery equipment is VERY effective at killing.......many bow hunters are not.

You are dead on about this.
I killed a pile using an Osage bow and Zwickey broadheads.
This take's skill and practice not just picking up a bow two weeks before season.
This is about the hunt shooting a primitive longbow throwing an arrow at 150 to 160 fps is deadly in the right hands.
The sports industry is partially to blame here by introducing the newest glitter and faster product each year.
If you buy this product you will instantly become a bow hunter. BS you became a bow owner.
Lot of difference in an Archer and bow owner.
When I started bow hunting compounds didn't exist.

HOSS":wgkmvbmi said:
Archery equipment is VERY effective at killing.......many bow hunters are not.

Hoss and going to go out on a limb here and say that I doubt B&G and you have never done this.

Jogeephus":2vn3d9st said:
HOSS":2vn3d9st said:

Hoss and going to go out on a limb here and say that I doubt B&G and you have never done this.

WOWZA, I've seen that picture before! Looks like he grabbed some random arrow and it was to short! LOL B&G

HOSS":25fiaj0e said:

HOSS & CB, I agree I hate expandable heads as well. I use them sometimes for turkeys cause I want them not to pass threw. But for deer I'm a Slick Trick guy. B&G

I think so. You buy them at the Post Office and stick it on something valuable and they will surely damage it for you.

Jogeephus":16y73as0 said:
HOSS":16y73as0 said:

:shock: That had to smart! My hand would have been gone cause I would have had a muzzy on it :mrgreen:

Latest posts