Bucks only

Help Support CattleToday:

I heard it's still legal to kill does with your bow. I think they made this law just so they could bust somebody for killing a deer when they ought to be paying bounties.

Sure smells of politics to me. I can kill 10 so why does it matter which day I do it on and I don't care to go throwing sticks at them and wounding them.

It's called people management, not game management any more. The reason for bow only was to keep a little pressure on the deer. The deer are getting into the feed mode now instead of the survival mode. The does are going to take a beating after Christmas, because of the FWC regulations. My question is did FWC do this on purpose? And why?

I've always questioned the use of bows after a friend of mine cut his hand open from a broad head that was lodged in a deer he was cleaning. Some say this is more sporting but I don't want to see an animal suffer and think we should harvest animals as humanely as possible. My opinion was further confirmed last week when I harvested a nice buck only to find someone had shot him through the back with one of those mechanical broadheads.nnthe buck was filled with infection and pus but the same shot placement with a rifle would have killed it where it stood. I don't view this as good sportsmanship.

I gagged when I lanced it open. Thing about it was the arrow hit the spine but the was not enough energy to do the job. Bow hunting is not for me. I like to see them drop in their tracks and not run off to bleed out.

If you look close you can see where it chipped a vertebrae. I don't know any deer rifle that wouldn't have broke the spine into had the bullet travelled this same path. I'm not trying to be all holy and all and people can hunt how they want but I dont want bow hunters on my land.

I disagree, I've tracked just as many wounded animals that were shot with a rifle as I have Bow. The difference being some of these bow shots these deer will Iive but, with a rifle they dye of lead poison in time. I think it's every hunters responsibility to practice with his or her weapon and make good shots. But, sometimes things happen to make things go a rye it happens to the best of us. I've seen deer running around with their legs blown clean off from a rifle that a bow would have cut and healed up. JMHO :tiphat: B&G

highgrit":1gobuqz1 said:
It's called people management, not game management any more. The reason for bow only was to keep a little pressure on the deer. The deer are getting into the feed mode now instead of the survival mode. The does are going to take a beating after Christmas, because of the FWC regulations. My question is did FWC do this on purpose? And why?

That is exactly what they are doing in Texas managing the deer hunter not the deer herd.
Politics is richer than three feet up a bulls ass.
Couple of different deer hunting association's one of billionaires the other of millionaire land owners
political wrangling the Wildlife Board for their advantage.

Black and Good":3aizorou said:
I disagree, I've tracked just as many wounded animals that were shot with a rifle as I have Bow. The difference being some of these bow shots these deer will Iive but, with a rifle they dye of lead poison in time. I think it's every hunters responsibility to practice with his or her weapon and make good shots. But, sometimes things happen to make things go a rye it happens to the best of us. I've seen deer running around with their legs blown clean off from a rifle that a bow would have cut and healed up. JMHO :tiphat: B&G

I assure you this buck wasn't going to live but die an agonizing death. Like I say, I would never be against someone's right to take a deer with a bow where they hunt but its not going to be on my property and I'm basing my opinion on what I've seen first hand. A common bow hunting phrase I hear all to often around here is, "I shot one but we couldn't find it." Of course this and your seeing as many deer run off from gun shots could just be a due to poor marksmanship. I'm a stickler on this and have told my children the deer deserve a humane and painless death so they all had to spend a lot of time shooting paper before I would let them shoot animals.

This is my daughter and the last two she dropped after giving her three bullets. One fell at 135 yards and the other at 165 yards. All fell where they stood. Granted, she did miss a third but it was running and was over 200 yards so I didn't chastise her too bad. She can shoot a 5" group at 900 yards so she is a good shot and a he77 of a lot better shot than her boyfriend who I have told cannot hunt anymore till he spends some time with me at the paper targets till we can sort out why he keeps missing deer.

Here's my daughters boyfriend with a nice buck he shot here last week with a bow. He's a archery only deer hunter, and dang good at it. But this young man will shoot in the 290's out of a possible 300 on targets. And he'll be in the USA high school archery finals in Kentucky again this year. And it also doesn't hurt that his Dad owns a archery shop and they shoot almost every day.

How far did it run? On the hunting shows it rarely shows the deer falling in its tracks.

I'm sure a lot of it boils down to how much homework someone is willing to do. Maybe my issue with bow hunting is more toward those guys who sit and watch these television shows and shoot their bows two or three times before heading to the woods. Same could be said of a rifle but I think bow hunting requires a higher level of commitment which I don't think many are willing to put into it. But he77, I don't think you deserve a phone unless you work for it so I'm just funny that way.

highgrit":3f0333dt said:
Here's my daughters boyfriend with a nice buck he shot here last week with a bow. He's a archery only deer hunter, and dang good at it. But this young man will shoot in the 290's out of a possible 300 on targets. And he'll be in the USA high school archery finals in Kentucky again this year. And it also doesn't hurt that his Dad owns a archery shop and they shoot almost every day.
Don't think he could be considered your "typical" bow hunter that shoots a few arrows at a target every week then goes out and shoots at deer. I have no statistics to back me up but would bet half the deer shot with bows are never found.

Jogeephus":3t44juyl said:
I gagged when I lanced it open. Thing about it was the arrow hit the spine but the was not enough energy to do the job. Bow hunting is not for me. I like to see them drop in their tracks and not run off to bleed out.

I taught archery and bow hunter safety course in a bow shop as something I enjoyed doing.
It would amaze you at the guy's I couldn't convince that just because you could hit a target
at 50 yards you did not have enough kinetic energy to kill.
Rule of thumb I taught was a bow that shot 300 fps max shot was 30 yards 350 fps 35 yards.
Worse thing IMO to happen to bow hunting was mechanical broadheads.
Used have a video in the store that showed a standard 2 blade Bear broadhead took 7 lbs of force to penetrate the
hide some of the mechanical 21 to 36 pounds.
I have killed many with a bow and have lost two that I was sick over.
The longest shot I ever took was 22 steps, the closest 7.

You might be a little high there TB. No he's not your average bow hunter, he will not shoot at deer over 35 yards away. But he can shoot 3D and targets at 60 yards with no problem. Jogeephus this deer only ran 60 yards, it was a perfect shot. Between him and his Dad they've shot 9 deer and recovered every one, but their the exception when it comes to bow hunting. The guys I know don't recover about a third of the deer they shoot with a bow truth be told. But once you start counting and figuring they all start back tracking. I know this year's hunting trip to Kansas was terrible for missing and wounding game during bow season. The second week of November was brutal conditions for both man and beast.

Latest posts