Z- Tags

Help Support CattleToday:

Angus breeder

Reaction score
Do any of you use Z-tags ? Two years ago I went to the new Z-tag that guarantees none fading . I taged 70 yearling heifers as yearlings and last year calfing them out as two year olds you could not read the tags very well. They were so faded out. I called the company and they sent new tags. And last spring I taged 40 more yealing heifers and now this spring the same way ,you can not read the tags very well. I even double taged them one in each ear. The add says how much improved over the old tags cause they have a plastic film imbedded over the tag etc. Any way just wondering if any one else had the problem I have. Thanks for any replys.

Z-Tag sounds like the name of the tags we use. The tags with the preprinted numbers don't fade, the ones you write on with a special marker do.

I have noticed that if you use more ink than you think you will need on 4 tags when writing the numbers, they last longer. I have several 6 yr old cows that I can still read the tag.

Make sure you are using the right kind of pen, (one made for the tags)and not just a regular permanent marker. You can also use a dremel tool and etch in a # then use the marker in the etching. It will last longer than the slick surface, or try a wood burner to make the number.

The tags I was refering to are the prenumbered kind. I been using the prenumbered for years and have pretty good luck with readable numbers for about 5 years old. But I wanted to try there improved version. Also they do have good retention. I use blank tags for all the calves numbers and write my own numbers and have good luck with the numbers. Tag about 350 calves a year and will loose maybe two at the most by shiping time in the fall so am happy with them that way.

Angus breeder":2tpkvaur said:
The tags I was refering to are the prenumbered kind.

Oh...duh. Well it didn't help to throw some tips out there... :lol:

We use the Y-tex? I believe....

Well anyway it is triple layered. Yellow, black, Yellow. We use the dremel and etch numbers in them that never go away. The tags get torn out or get old and tear first.

I don't know about Z-Tags, but I know All-Flex works. I can still (easily!) read the numbers on 7 year old cows.

We've got a 15 year old cow walking around with the All-Flex tag she was given as a calf. We can still read most of the number, it didn't fade at all but a corner of the tag did snap off about two years ago.

We have some z-tags, can't read them but the retentio is excellent. Y-tex that i can't read and the buttons break off in time

dun

Latest posts