your thoughts!!

Help Support CattleToday:

memanpa

Reaction score
been feeling kind of useless lately, 63 yrs old kids grown gone etc. just been feeling i have used up my space here on earth, time to give it up!
walked down to the corrals to look at stock, one little calf i had been trying to catch to band decided it was time to get to know me, walked up all 125# of him and almost nuzzeled my leg. kind of like I WILL THIS TIME BUT NEVER AGAIN,
then he split for the far end of the corral, looked at me with that look that said (you tell any one i will deny it)
have no intentions of keeping him for anything but slaughter, but he sure made me feel better for a few minutes

2006 corvette $XXXXXX heck i could by a buch of cattle for that
blonds $$$$$$$$$$$ what would i do with them iffin i could catch em and my bride or 40 years would let me keep em??
nah that little guy made me feel better seemes they have a tendency to do that from time to time, kiind of makes it worth while

You did the right thing, just spending time with the critters...maybe just that time of year, with winter coming, seems to get lots of people down. I think we (I anyway) get so busy just keeping up with work and chores that we forget to take a few moments just to watch and observe, to spend time with the animals we care for. I'm glad that calf gave you some special time. I enjoy our cows and calves, but the donkeys are the best therapists on this farm.

Here's one to cheer you up!

Whisper7-4-05.jpg

what is THEIR per hr charge??
i need something right wrong or indiffernt,
boy am i in a downer mood

Donkey therapy is priceless but FREE! Too bad you live so far away, you could just c'mon over and play with 'em....they love company. You just sit in the pasture, they encircle you, untie your sneakers, rest their chins on your head, some of the foals even collapse into your lap, you rub on their legs and pick their feet up (training, always training right?)...just be careful where you sit (I wasn't too careful one day, ooops!).

memanpa cheer up,you are in some of the best years of your life. I have a ways to go to reach your age but I am told the years you are going into are great. Try just sitting out in your pasture and taking it all in or enjoy one of those beautiful sunrises or sunsets I know Arizona is famous for. Hope you feel better soon. :D

Gale, that picture is too cute! How did you manage to catch it? Stake out the corral, camera in hand? I never seem to have my camera at those moments. I just love watching the babies race and run and buck and kick and react to new things! It absolutely makes my day! :D

Memanpa, I hope you are feeling better soon. As others have already said, hang out in the corral for a while with the critters. They are sure to make you feel better! ;-)

msscamp, I confess that I can't take credit for that shot...a friend of ours spent several hours here with his new camera and got very lucky (I guess that's HIS form of therapy, LOL). He got some wonderful pictures of the donkeys AND the cows, though he prefers the donkeys. He sits very quietly, the animals accept him, he's in no hurry, he really has a "good eye" for a picture, and his camera is very fast (my digital camera seems to have a split-second delay and clicks just a tad too slow or something). But I love nothing better than going out with the camera among the animals, just wish I could do it more often. I'll try to find one of the cow pics he took...he is good.

memanpa":2uhj8uso said:
what is THEIR per hr charge??
i need something right wrong or indiffernt,
boy am i in a downer mood

I had a list somewhere of people who accomplished truly great things a lot past your age. I don't know where I put it so I can't post it. But Albert Schweitzer was one of them, even if I spelled his name wrong. How old was Mother Theresa when she died? etc, etc, etc.
G Bush No. 1 is a lot ahead of you and he was jumping out of an airplane a little while back.

You can hang it up or cowboy up. It's your call.

memanpa":1pgw00mh said:
2006 corvette $XXXXXX heck i could by a buch of cattle for that
blonds $$$$$$$$$$$ what would i do with them iffin i could catch em and my bride or 40 years would let me keep em??
nah that little guy made me feel better seemes they have a tendency to do that from time to time, kiind of makes it worth while
Relax, I was only trying to make you laugh. :lol: I'm a lot younger than you, but the way I see it, you do have (and I hope sincerely) have a whole lot of good years ahead of you.I've got quite a few friends around your age, and truthfully, sometimes they've expressed feelings you're having.

Gale Seddon":r6njnxbu said:
msscamp, I confess that I can't take credit for that shot...a friend of ours spent several hours here with his new camera and got very lucky (I guess that's HIS form of therapy, LOL). He got some wonderful pictures of the donkeys AND the cows, though he prefers the donkeys. He sits very quietly, the animals accept him, he's in no hurry, he really has a "good eye" for a picture, and his camera is very fast (my digital camera seems to have a split-second delay and clicks just a tad too slow or something). But I love nothing better than going out with the camera among the animals, just wish I could do it more often. I'll try to find one of the cow pics he took...he is good.

That would be great! That was a really good shot! I envy people who can take those kinds of pictures. I can spend hours out at the corrals watching the cows and babies. Calving season is my absolute favorite time of year! Even if the day was total crap and there is no foreseeable way out there is something about a newborn calf that makes everything better! :D

memanpa":3ie7n1da said:
been feeling kind of useless lately, 63 yrs old kids grown gone etc. just been feeling i have used up my space here on earth, time to give it up!
walked down to the corrals to look at stock, one little calf i had been trying to catch to band decided it was time to get to know me, walked up all 125# of him and almost nuzzeled my leg. kind of like I WILL THIS TIME BUT NEVER AGAIN,
then he split for the far end of the corral, looked at me with that look that said (you tell any one i will deny it)
have no intentions of keeping him for anything but slaughter, but he sure made me feel better for a few minutes

Yeah ... you're old, you're not as good as you once was, you take longer to heal up, you take longer to do the chores, you are slower at most everything. So you are worn out.

Join the club. It is called getting old. BUT ... along with that age comes a few good things.

Wisdom.

You probably think before you speak now - making you look smarter.

The ability to say "no" and not have to make up and excuse to go along with it.

The ability to write things like you wrote and with no shame.

The ability to decide what YOU want to do today - unless the other half decides for you. I have been told that never goes away. :lol:

And finally - the opportunity to be yourself and the heck with what others think.

Maybe a couple of blondes and a fancy car and a fat bank account would be nice - no wonderful - but then you do not get to be yourself. As I age I begin to think that is more important than anything else.

Stay well,

Bez'

63 is young these days. You've got a long way to go yet. Hang in there. And about that calf, you can't eat your therapist. :lol: :lol:

No big deal. We all get to feeling like we would like to just chuck the whole deal. Sort of a variation of the Middle age crazys. Like the dog trying to crapout the peach pit, this too shall pass. Find a project that will get your mind and body interested.
Many years ago my sister asked my mother which birthday really bothered her. My sister had become old and decrepit on her 40th birthday. My mothers reply was the first one that she isn;t able to celebrate because she had died. She was in her mid-80s at the time.

dun

i didn't mean for the post to sound like i was looking for pity, but just how a little time with livestock can get your head back on right!
cheap therapy!! :D :D
thanks to all for the support!! was justone of those "OH WOE IS ME" :D :D moments we have from time to time

my camera goes with me every where I go. And most days when I'm checkin the herd, I have time to sit for a few minutes and just observe. If there's nothing pressing, I can do that for hours. Just sit and watch. Amazing what you can learn about cattle behavior by doin that. And yes, it's theraputic. My hubby doesn't understand how I can just go out and sit with em like that. Maybe what works for me ain't what works for him, I dont know. Its not something that I can do with others with me. Only works if I'm by myself. I call it, "my alone time" We all need it, it's just different things work for different people.
I take pictures alllll the time. I've always liked photography, but this last year, around Christmas time, a friend I'd chatted with for a good while, sent me a Picture CD/DVD of her photography on their ranch. It was so cool. I sat down and tried to do the same thing. Mine won't work in a DVD player tho, just on the computer. Hopefully this years will, since I bought a program that's sposta do it. Anyway, instead of Cards for Christmas, I'm gonna mail out CD's to family and friends, from a whole years worth of pictures, set to music. Which reminds me, I should probably start puttin that together, won't be long before it's time to mail those out.

Great picture!

Memanpa... just a thought for you I can't tell you how much time I spend at the barn compared to inside the house. My husband wanted to know why I spent so much time there I used to tell him I was cleaning and re-arranging but I finally had to come clean with him and let him know that the chickens, the goats the donkey and all the cows know more about me than anyone else and they won't tell a sole. All they ask for is some hen scratch and range cubes! For me there's nothing better than talking to the animals and not having my cell phone in my pocket, after a hard day.

Latest posts