Your thoughts on Lambs Quarter Plant for Cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Texas has seen a lot of rain this spring and summer (usual).....or maybe something happened last year (seeding wise) because 1/2 my ranch is covered in Lambs Quarter. What concerns me is the cattle love eating down Giant Ragweed, Bermuda grass , Buffalo grass, Johnson grass and the abundant tree leaf varieties that grow as small bushes and low tree branches...but they are hardly partaking in lambs quarter plants...they let mostly all of them grow 1-1/2 to 2-1/2 feet tall and won't even walk through them anymore. My ranch land looks all wrong...tall on one end and short on the other. Why aren't my cattle eating more of the lambs quarter? Will they eat it when everything else runs out? Should I mow down all the lambs quarter (probably too late now- tops are seeding) in early spring and seed with some type of choking-out Bermuda grass? What are your thoughts on lambs-quarter if half of your cattle land was filled with it and your cattle aren't needing to chow down on it? I saw other ranches full of lambs quarter around me too. Also wondering if lambs quarter pulls from the soil so next year it won't come in so dense and prolific. It's shocking what happened to my ranch's landscape this year. Am I blessed or cursed?..what would you do? Thanks for your help.

Latest posts