Your next car

Help Support CattleToday:

Campground Cattle

Reaction score
If I ever thought of buying a German vehicle I wouldn't now.

World Reaction Ranges From Scolding to Sympathy

By James Cox, USA TODAY

A top German official said the United States had itself to blame for Hurricane Katrina. Canada's prime minister waited days to issue condolences.

On the positive side, Iran offered its sympathies. Cuba's Fidel Castro led a moment of silence for victims of the storm.

Foreign reaction to tragic events along the Gulf Coast produced surprises from:

--Germany. Environment Minister Jurgen Trittin said President Bush had "closed his eyes" to the dangers of pollution and climate change, blamed by some scientists for adding to the intensity of hurricanes and other severe weather.

Chancellor Gerhard Schroeder offered aid and assistance to the United States, but his government didn't back away from Trittin's remarks. Carsten Voigt, coordinator for U.S. relations at the German Foreign Ministry, said he agreed with Trittin but took issue with his timing, the German magazine Der Spiegel reported.

--Venezuela. Fiery leader Hugo Chavez, who has fought a war of words with the Bush administration, said his country's state-owned CITGO Petroleum would donate $1 million in hurricane aid. At the same time, Chavez lashed out at Bush, calling him the "king of vacations."

The United States "had no evacuation plan. It is incredible - the first power in the world that is so involved in Iraq ... left its own population adrift," Chavez said.

--Canada. Critics blasted Prime Minister Paul Martin for staying silent until late Wednesday, then offering a routine sympathy message.

Martin, whose relationship with Bush has been strained by differences on trade and missile defense, showed "a shocking lack of personal support for the United States," said Stockwell Day, a Conservative member of Parliament.

Thursday, Martin phoned Bush. Canada put its military on standby, offering to send troops to deliver relief and purify drinking water. Ontario also offered emergency medical teams. The Canadian Red Cross was compiling lists of volunteers willing to go to Louisiana and Mississippi.

Even so, Martin took a pounding. "When a close friend and ally is suffering through something this traumatic, moral support matters as much as offers of aid - especially when, in this case, Canada stands to benefit from America's misery" through high energy prices, columnist John Ibbitson wrote Thursday in The Globe and Mail, the Toronto daily.

--Muslims. Islamic extremists celebrated on a Web site. They said Katrina was part of their global jihad and prayed that the storm would send oil prices soaring to $100 a barrel.

Other Muslims, however, offered help. The Council on American-Islamic Relations, based in Washington, asked mosques and Islamic centers to collect donations after prayers today and to send contributions to the American Red Cross and relief groups. Islamic Relief USA, based in Burbank, Calif., also appealed for donations.

Iraq's National Assembly Speaker Hajim Al-Hasani sent condolences.

--Poor countries. College students in Jamaica set up a disaster relief fund. A Bosnian TV station announced it would collect donations.

In Indonesia's Aceh province, where more than 178,000 were killed by the Dec. 26 tsunami, residents are praying for Katrina's victims, said Kuntoro Mangkusubroto, provincial reconstruction chief.

More troops, goods arriving in frustrated New Orleans
Critical of Katrina response, Bush bound for Gulf region
Payrolls grew 169,000 in August, jobless rate 4.9%
Dave Matthews Band to perform hurricane benefit
Angels blank Athletics to draw even in AL West

Iran, which has not had diplomatic ties with the United States since Islamist students stormed the U.S. Embassy in Tehran 26 years ago, extended its sympathies.

Elsewhere, France said it would send relief teams from the French Antilles in the Caribbean, and President Jacques Chirac sent a message of solidarity to Bush.

Italy readied two military transport planes to carry supplies to New Orleans. It said it would send pumps, generators, tents and disaster experts. Pope Benedict XVI offered prayers for those killed and displaced by the ferocious storm and flooding.

In Havana, Castro and Cuban parliamentarians stood for a minute of silence. "The whole world should feel that this tragedy is its own," Speaker Ricardo Alarcon said.

Queen Elizabeth II sent a note to Bush saying she was "deeply shocked and saddened." Chinese President Hu Jintao said "the American people will overcome the natural disaster and rebuild their beautiful homeland."

Dang, I thought Jerry Falwell was the only one that thought like some of these guys. Last time I heard ole Jerry talk, he was apologizing for saying that these things happen because of the sin. Seems he was speaking of the 911 incident last time. So far, I haven't heard a peep out of him. I figured he would unload on New Orleans. I guess he learned to keep his thoughts to himself. I just hope they get things in order soon there for everyone's sake. I can't imagine what they must be going through.

WHEW!!
for a while i thought it was me that had caused all this havoc!
i sat on my back patio few days ago and drank a cold beer and even had a cigar!!!
boy am i relieved to find out that i am not responsible for for this storm!
now all we have to do is figure out was it the gop or the liberials, then we can sue the resposible party for wasting our tax money!
wait a minute maybe it was the weather forcasters, no not really they are never right! hummm let me think a miniute for some one to point a finger at!
couldent be FALWELL he is a preacher! (yea right)
FRANCE. nah they arn't brave enough to make a storm like thiis!!
CUBA? no i dont think so castro wouldn't do this cause he still has hopes of controlling the area!!!
well folks that narrows the blame down to one person!
sorry i should not have smoked that cigar

Stupid Easterners and there stupid Liberal government. i want to apologize to you guys on behalf of the Rest of Canada where pretty much all the beef producers live. That New Orleans thing looks pretty tough to take and I know that the most of the US especially the southerners were very supportive of us during our beef crisis. Anyway, maybe someday we'll finally vote in a good Conservative government and get the Canada/US relations back on track. Best wishes to all those caught by Katrina.

Latest posts