Your Child's Name

Help Support CattleToday:

D2Cat

Reaction score
Does the name you give your children determine how they see themselves, or live their life?

Consider Reality Leigh Winner. Did she grow up with a chip on her shoulder, and decide to make her own show?

In the book Freakanomics, there is a chapter about this. There is a correlation between what you name your child and their socioeconomic status. As you would guess, what we consider to be normal names typically hold better jobs, have more money and have a smaller criminal record. It's a fascinating book and worth the read, but you don't have to take my word for it.

If you ever sort through resumes, a strong name will make an impression on you.

I think there's a correlation. I have a unique name and have always had my own sense of style - don't follow the trends whether it's fashion, the jobs I've held (certainly now!), relationships, how I decorate my home, etc. Certainly my name doesn't define me but it is a contributing factor.

th

poor thing aint much to look at either

greybeard":2iirsj7f said:
M-5, I would describe that (at best or most polite) a rather 'boyish' figure and look.
Tatted up pretty good too.

http://heavy.com/news/2017/06/reality-w ... on-leaker/

Yeah, she's not a very feminine heifer (and if she's above 15 she's probably not a heifer anymore either). I'd pass on this one, re-evaluate the sire and dam, and probably send the lot of them to the salebarn. :lol2:

TCRanch":37hx77i8 said:
I think there's a correlation. I have a unique name and have always had my own sense of style - don't follow the trends whether it's fashion, the jobs I've held (certainly now!), relationships, how I decorate my home, etc.
Certainly my name doesn't define me but it is a contributing factor.
Genetics.... wouldn't unique parents be more likely to choose an unique name?
or
Environment... wouldn't unique parents also be more likely to rear children in an unique environment?
but
Sometimes when I hear some names I think to myself...
Why didn't the parents just cut to the chase and name them Food Stamp?

the fact that we need to have a thread about this is simply more evidence that this country has reached an unparalleled in human history level of mass ignorance and self importance.

all one needs to do is examine the topics that make up the news, the obsession with social commentary and who said what, placing importance on trivial things and trivializing important things.

whats that swirling sound I hear????

Son of Butch":20ta7sjk said:
TCRanch":20ta7sjk said:
I think there's a correlation. I have a unique name and have always had my own sense of style - don't follow the trends whether it's fashion, the jobs I've held (certainly now!), relationships, how I decorate my home, etc.
Certainly my name doesn't define me but it is a contributing factor.
Genetics.... wouldn't unique parents be more likely to choose an unique name?
or
Environment... wouldn't unique parents also be more likely to rear children in an unique environment?
but
Sometimes when I hear some names I think to myself...
Why didn't the parents just cut to the chase and name them Food Stamp?
Don't know about genetics, I'm adopted. But agree that environment most likely contributes. And yet aside from our sense of humor, my brother couldn't be more different than me.

We had a name picked out for our son and changed it before he was born. We figured there was a 50/50 he'd be queer or cowboy with that name and decided to go with a little more stable odds.

Latest posts