Young heifer calving

Help Support CattleToday:

cattleman99":6mrpnspd said:
Been there done that. Earliest I've had is a heifer born Feb 23 that calved first week in April the following year. Lost em both that time. She was bred to the herdsire. My fault I was hauling the kids around to something or other and wasn't there. I usually run around 5% in calf to the herdbull as we calf Jan 15-April 1 and then again June 1-July 31. Throw the old bulls back out with everything for the 2nd run. This has cut opens down to few and far between. Years ago I decided to run all bull calves seperate from the heifer calves. There is usually one small pasture of mixed but for the most part it makes management easier.

I got one for you though. Had a cow calve July 21 last year that calved April 10 this year. She was 9 days over from when the bull was pulled. I'm not mixing up cows either as I only have 3 reds left and she is the only baldy. The other 2 calve in Jan/Feb. I know it's off the herdbull as their are no other cattle near that pasture, there were only the June/July calvers and some yearling heifers. No older calves to breed her. The calf is horned too and the herd bull that was in their is
hetero polled and so is she. I did the math and it's not possible. If i hadn't seen it with my own eyes I wouldn't believe it myself. The calf was 95 lbs too so it wasn't early.

Well then, there is your answer.

cattleman99":15zo1oax said:
The calf is horned too and the herd bull that was in their is hetro polled and so is she. I did the math and it's not possible.
So the calf had a 1 in 4 chance of being either horned or polled and the horns won. Where does that defy the math, just proves that odds will bite your but sometimes

cattleman99":3mfbp3nc said:
Been there done that. Earliest I've had is a heifer born Feb 23 that calved first week in April the following year. Lost em both that time. She was bred to the herdsire. My fault I was hauling the kids around to something or other and wasn't there. I usually run around 5% in calf to the herdbull as we calf Jan 15-April 1 and then again June 1-July 31. Throw the old bulls back out with everything for the 2nd run. This has cut opens down to few and far between. Years ago I decided to run all bull calves seperate from the heifer calves. There is usually one small pasture of mixed but for the most part it makes management easier.

I got one for you though. Had a cow calve July 21 last year that calved April 10 this year. She was 9 days over from when the bull was pulled. I'm not mixing up cows either as I only have 3 reds left and she is the only baldy. The other 2 calve in Jan/Feb. I know it's off the herdbull as their are no other cattle near that pasture, there were only the June/July calvers and some yearling heifers. No older calves to breed her. The calf is horned too and the herd bull that was in their is hetro polled and so is she. I did the math and it's not possible. If i hadn't seen it with my own eyes I wouldn't believe it myself. The calf was 95 lbs too so it wasn't early.

She was 9 days over from when the bull was pulled. I am sorry C99 but am totally missing your point of the post. Please forgive as it has been a long winter . :oops:

hillsdown":3axyvfcx said:
She was 9 days over from when the bull was pulled. I am sorry C99 but am totally missing your point of the post. Please forgive as it has been a long winter . :oops:
I think he means that it was 9 days after the cow calved when he pulled his bull.

Sorry guys you all missed my point. The hetro polled comment was only added to clarify I'm positive it's off the heifer bull I had in the pasture. There was no other option but the fact the calf is solid red and horned just backs up even more it's his. To calve 9 days over in April she would have had to be bred prior to even calving. And yep the last one to calve in the first group as the bull was pulled from that pasture so calving should have ended April 1 this year. Doesn't make any sense to me. I noticed in February when I weaned that she looked heavy in calf. It didn't make any sense but I kept her by the calving barn instead of kicking her back across the road with the rest of the spring calvers.

3waycross":3hsiubf3 said:
Anyone besides me notice that the OP seems to be missing. :shock: :lol2: :lol2: ;-)

Good job, y'all ran em off. :?

Cattleman99, maybe she turned her oven up to high heat and grew her calf at top speed? Don't know if it's possible but that's definitely a head scratcher.

2/B or not 2/B":2izxvy7v said:
3waycross":2izxvy7v said:
Anyone besides me notice that the OP seems to be missing. :shock: :lol2: :lol2: ;-)

Good job, y'all ran em off. :?

Cattleman99, maybe she turned her oven up to high heat and grew her calf at top speed? Don't know if it's possible but that's definitely a head scratcher.

I am sure it's all my fault....instead of calling :bs: :bs: I should have said Excuse me but I believe I smell something that may have been inducted into the front end of a bull and deducted from the other end possibly having to do with your inability to properly cipher the true gestation length of a creature of the bovine persuasion

my bad :frowns:

Actually it probably could have been handled better but the bottom line is I don't like being called a HATER.

BTW for the record, i watched a heifer go thru the sale ring yesterday that weighed an incredible 510lbs, was bagged up, and springing. She sold for $200

houstoncutter":162shnd1 said:
I had a Black Gelbvieh that calved at 14 months....but that is the youngest I have ever run across...That was one hot cow.... she never was very big because of this,,,,,but she was always first in line to get at the bull...
Look around at WalMart next time...there are always a few "young ladies" that are much like your heifer.

3waycross wrote:
BTW for the record, i watched a heifer go thru the sale ring yesterday that weighed an incredible 510lbs, was bagged up, and springing. She sold for $200

You got a good deal on her, let us know when she calves .. :p :lol:

Remember my heifer we aborted and then the fetus froze to her tail causing a huge mess. By the size of her fetus she must have been bred around 4 months old. She has had regular heats since though and will be AI'd shortly. Btw her tail did fall off, she looks like we docked her. It seems that with cattle all bets are off on how strange things can happen. :roll:

hillsdown":3jag18bf said:
3waycross wrote:

You got a good deal on her, let us know when she calves .. :p :lol:

Remember my heifer we aborted and then the fetus froze to her tail causing a huge mess. By the size of her fetus she must have been bred around 4 months old. She has had regular heats since though and will be AI'd shortly. Btw her tail did fall off, she looks like we docked her. It seems that with cattle all bets are off on how strange things can happen. :roll:

That's for sure the smallest pregnant heifer I have ever seen. I will send ya'll birth announcements and baby pictures.

Latest posts