Young calves in bad weather

Help Support CattleToday:

ufo_chris

Reaction score
Hello, I have 2 young calves, one is 5 weeks, one is 2 weeks old. They are Highland but I worry about them in bad weather.
It rained a lot here in the last week , now we have snow and around 32 in the daytime.
I know rain is worse than snow but the snow is kinda wet still.
They do have a shed to come into but I have seen them outside in the rain.
I think the 5 week old would be ok but I worry about the 2 week old.
Her fur is still too fluffy to repel water I'm thinking.
I know I'm probably overly worried ,but I'd like to know for future reference too....at what age is it ok if they are out in the bad weather, and will they always know when to come in if it's bad out?
Is it ok if they lay down in wet snow?
I have searched this but found no answers except for newborns.
Thanks so much,Chris

Being outside is probably better for them overall then being inside. If they have a wind break and a place to lay that isn;t soppen muddy, they should be fine from birth. It's the wet and cold that gets to them.
The other part of the deal is there really isn;t a whole lot you can do about it.

Thanks Dun.
Well the younger one and her mom, I have them in a corral with shed access when I'm not home or at night. Seems that when I do let them out in the pasture the calf does not come back in and there is no windbreak ,not even a shrub out in the pasture.
I know that they'd most likely be ok, but I don't wanna take any chances ,this is my first little heifer after 3 bulls!
Thanks so much,Chris

I'm in MI - bout an hour north of the indiana border. If I have a 2 week old calf that knows how to suck, they go where they want. I have a group of November calves out there now. They don't have a shed. If the calf goes in the field on top of a bald hill - so be it. I would actually prefer them there as when they are crowded together in a shed or windbreak is where all the mud will be. With Highlands I'd be even less concerned. Also - fluffy hair is good - muddy hair is bad.

Blah blah blah - after I've seen them nurse, they're on their own.

Thanks Guys,that does make me feel better. I know I'm overly concerned,but I figured better safe than sorry .
I know the fluffy hair is good for cold, it's just the rain I'm concerned about ,that fluff does not repel it!
Anyways,Thanks ,I feel better now :D
Chris

Latest posts